5,599,337 Members 38,314 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Offline GPS Solution for Android? (no data plan needed, just like Windows Mobile GPS)

Tip us?

crobs808
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 237
Exclamation Offline GPS Solution for Android? (no data plan needed, just like Windows Mobile GPS)

Ok...in order for me to keep Android on my Touch and not go back to Windows Mobile, there MUST be an offline GPS solution for Android. By that I mean GPS software that reads maps from the SD card and does not need a data connection on the phone at all; like TomTom does on Windows Mobile - it has all the POIs stored on the SD card (including their phone number) so I can get directions, look up numbers, and directly call businesses from the GPS app without ever needing any internet connectivity. I have a 16GB card, so storing maps of the whole USA won't be a problem....did it just fine in WinMo using TomTom...

So, does anyone know of a GPS application that can do this for Android? Having to connect to the internet for GPS maps (like Google maps) is just unacceptable, especially since GPS has been free through satellites for decades now. Bottom line - I just want GPS to work like it did on Windows Mobile...no data plan needed, and maps stored locally on the SD card. Easy and fast.

If this is not possible then it is very apparent that TomTom on WinMo is far superior to any Android GPS solution, and I will be forced to switch back.

Purist (less is more) | VZW SGS3 | CM 10.1 | Android Virtualization

mrkite38
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 371
MapDroyd......

current device / ROM:
galnex - cm10.1

VX-10 | VX-7000 | VX-8600 | XV6900 (HTC Vogue) | XV6850 (HTC Raphael) | Droid 2 | HTC Droid Incredible | HTC Thunderbolt | Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Forum Moderator List

The Following User Says Thank You to mrkite38 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

incubus26jc
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3569

DONATE TO ME
http://www.mapdroyd.com/

crobs808
Old
Thanks Meter 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkite38 View Post
MapDroyd......
it says you have to download the maps through another program called "ContentDroyd"...this defeats the whole purpose of making this work for phones without a data connection.

mrkite38
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobs808 View Post
it says you have to download the maps through another program called "ContentDroyd"...this defeats the whole purpose of making this work for phones without a data connection.
the newest version of contentdroyd will allow you to download them from a computer instead of through the phone. then you put the maps on sd.

current device / ROM:
galnex - cm10.1

VX-10 | VX-7000 | VX-8600 | XV6900 (HTC Vogue) | XV6850 (HTC Raphael) | Droid 2 | HTC Droid Incredible | HTC Thunderbolt | Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Forum Moderator List

crobs808
Old
Thanks Meter 237
Quote:
the newest version of contentdroyd will allow you to download them from a computer instead of through the phone. then you put the maps on sd.
the latest version of ContentDroyd is still just an APK file, so how do you download them on your computer? IS there a public site that has the map files?

Also I read that any vector map format can be used in their compressed map format...does this mean I can use the nicer and more complete TomTom or Garmin map files somehow?

mrkite38
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 371
Quote:
the latest version of ContentDroyd is still just an APK file, so how do you download them on your computer? IS there a public site that has the map files?
Sometimes you can find public sites, yes. I'm happy to post it if that's within the rules, I'll check. Then you use adb to install it.

current device / ROM:
galnex - cm10.1

Forum Moderator List

crobs808
Old
(Last edited by crobs808; 23rd February 2010 at 01:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 237
Quote:
Sometimes you can find public sites, yes. I'm happy to post it if that's within the rules, I'll check. Then you use adb to install it.
I can transfer files directly to my SD card over my USB cable, that is not the problem...I just need a site that has the map file. I can download and transfer them myself manually. Also - why would it be against the rules since the maps are freeware?

-edit-
Their site just has a list...no download links.
http://www.mapdroyd.com/map-android-more

This is so dumb, why are they trying to hide how to download it, even on their site, when they fully allow downloads thru your phone - makes no sense

mrkite38
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 371
Quote:
I can transfer files directly to my SD card over my USB cable, that is not the problem...I just need a site that has the map file. I can download and transfer them myself manually. Also - why would it be against the rules since the maps are freeware?

-edit-
Their site just has a list...no download links.
http://www.mapdroyd.com/map-android-more

This is so dumb, why are they trying to hide how to download it, even on their site, when they fully allow downloads thru your phone - makes no sense
Sorry, I didn't mean the maps - I meant the newest mapdroyd and contentdroyd apks so you don't have to download them. You could then install those through adb.

current device / ROM:
galnex - cm10.1

Forum Moderator List

seanmcd72
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Does the GPS even work well enough with warm donut? I have gotten it to work a few times, but most of the time it struggles to find a signal...