Sony Encouraging SmartWatch 2 Development

Mobile device companies like selling devices–it’s how they make their money and … more

Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

CDMA Hero Bugs and Manufacturer Defects

OP beyondinferno

24th February 2010, 04:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vallejo
Thanks Meter: 3

372 posts
More
I'm starting this thread as a central database for CDMA Hero owners to share defects and bugs in Hardware and Software.
My apologies if this has been addressed else-where.

Found with my Girlfriend's and my "with Google" Heros that we both have a noticeable amount of dust under the screen (glass). I thought this was addressed with rev. 2 of the phone?

Anyone one else with the same issue?
24th February 2010, 04:39 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

522 posts
paint on case is VERY easy to chip...
24th February 2010, 04:42 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vallejo

372 posts
More
I agree the finish seems a little delicate. I've been using a cheap hard plastic case since I got mine in dec. Helps alot with wear and tear, and isn't too bulky or hard to get out of my pocket.
24th February 2010, 04:45 AM   |  #4  
Flag Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 10

263 posts
More
i agree with the paint issue.
my end button is totally red not silver and red
24th February 2010, 04:48 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

100 posts
I had a dust issue with my first (unbranded).

The first thing I did with my replacement (with google) hero was to apply an invisible shield to it. I have not noticed any dust under the screen whatsoever.

Also, although it isn't exactly pretty, I found while applying the invisible shield that it did not cover the gap between screen and button pad. As a quick fix to this I cut a thin piece of invisible shield material that was left over and applied it over the crack/screen protector/button pad protector. Just for some extra protection.

For shocks, I have the phone in the HTC silicone case. My phone has taken a number of falls/skids across the ground and stuff and this combo has protected it completely.

Edit:
Almost forgot, my original also seemed to develop a wear mark on the metal button pad finish. It was as if a part of the layer had rubbed off and tarnished in a circular pattern.
Last edited by willowmp; 24th February 2010 at 04:50 AM.
24th February 2010, 04:53 AM   |  #6  
Flag CA

411 posts
More
about the dust under the screen...
i contacted htc about before. the person who i emailed replied to me saying that htc has a permanent fix for the problem, so you can send it in and they'll replace/clean the screen and apply some fix to it. catch is, you have to pay for S&H and you'll go without a phone for a bit
24th February 2010, 05:02 AM   |  #7  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 299

1,835 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisyoung

about the dust under the screen...
i contacted htc about before. the person who i emailed replied to me saying that htc has a permanent fix for the problem, so you can send it in and they'll replace/clean the screen and apply some fix to it. catch is, you have to pay for S&H and you'll go without a phone for a bit

I have a ridiculous amount of dust in the lower left hand corner of my screen... so much so that part of the screen isn't visible anymore. Do you think Sprint would just let me exchange it for a new one? Or would I still have to go through HTC?
24th February 2010, 05:06 AM   |  #8  
Flag CA

411 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinehart93

I have a ridiculous amount of dust in the lower left hand corner of my screen... so much so that part of the screen isn't visible anymore. Do you think Sprint would just let me exchange it for a new one? Or would I still have to go through HTC?

well i e-mailed htc about this twice. the first time they said that if the dust got bad enough, i could send it to HTC and they'd repair it. they also said this:

Quote:

I understand how frustrating it can be for dust to collect under the screen of your device. We have recently learned that Sprint has a process in place to resolve this issue. Please contact Sprint for the location of your nearest Sprint Service and Repair facility. They are equipped to clean your device, and in doing so will be able to keep the issue from recurring in the future. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

which pretty much means that the sprint store should be able to repair it for free.
24th February 2010, 06:26 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vallejo

372 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisyoung

well i e-mailed htc about this twice. the first time they said that if the dust got bad enough, i could send it to HTC and they'd repair it. they also said this:

which pretty much means that the sprint store should be able to repair it for free.

That's great to hear! Nice to know it's not like my Mogul was. They just kept giving me broken phones until I bought my hero....
24th February 2010, 07:54 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 5

310 posts
More
I had heard about the dust problem before, and was glad that I didn't have that problem yet... After reading this thread, I decided to look again.... Now I do have dust in the bottom right

It seems to me that the problem is dust entering between the keypad and the screen, and then getting up underneath of the digitizer which doesn't seem to be against the LCD, which is strange, I think. Most handhelds I've taken apart have the digitizer glued around the edges directly to the LCD. Thank god that HTC and Sprint are actually addressing this problem. If someone does know how and where this seal is applied, I'd love to know. I might be taking mine back before too long, and I always would like to know what they're going to do beforehand.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread