XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CDMA Hero Bugs and Manufacturer Defects

Tip us?

beyondinferno
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Exclamation CDMA Hero Bugs and Manufacturer Defects

I'm starting this thread as a central database for CDMA Hero owners to share defects and bugs in Hardware and Software.
My apologies if this has been addressed else-where.

Found with my Girlfriend's and my "with Google" Heros that we both have a noticeable amount of dust under the screen (glass). I thought this was addressed with rev. 2 of the phone?

Anyone one else with the same issue?
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919)

Retired
HTC Droid DNA
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
Motorola Photon 4G
Samsung Nexus S 4G
HTC Heroc
HTC Mogul
HTC PPC-6700
Samsung A900

dmc971989
Old
Thanks Meter 7
paint on case is VERY easy to chip...

beyondinferno
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I agree the finish seems a little delicate. I've been using a cheap hard plastic case since I got mine in dec. Helps alot with wear and tear, and isn't too bulky or hard to get out of my pocket.

Retired
HTC Droid DNA
Motorola Photon 4G
Samsung Nexus S 4G
HTC Heroc
HTC Mogul
HTC PPC-6700
Samsung A900

brian2220
Old
Thanks Meter 10
i agree with the paint issue.
my end button is totally red not silver and red

willowmp
Old
(Last edited by willowmp; 24th February 2010 at 03:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I had a dust issue with my first (unbranded).

The first thing I did with my replacement (with google) hero was to apply an invisible shield to it. I have not noticed any dust under the screen whatsoever.

Also, although it isn't exactly pretty, I found while applying the invisible shield that it did not cover the gap between screen and button pad. As a quick fix to this I cut a thin piece of invisible shield material that was left over and applied it over the crack/screen protector/button pad protector. Just for some extra protection.

For shocks, I have the phone in the HTC silicone case. My phone has taken a number of falls/skids across the ground and stuff and this combo has protected it completely.

Edit:
Almost forgot, my original also seemed to develop a wear mark on the metal button pad finish. It was as if a part of the layer had rubbed off and tarnished in a circular pattern.

justinisyoung
Old
Thanks Meter 0
about the dust under the screen...
i contacted htc about before. the person who i emailed replied to me saying that htc has a permanent fix for the problem, so you can send it in and they'll replace/clean the screen and apply some fix to it. catch is, you have to pay for S&H and you'll go without a phone for a bit

mrinehart93
Old
Thanks Meter 299

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisyoung View Post
about the dust under the screen...
i contacted htc about before. the person who i emailed replied to me saying that htc has a permanent fix for the problem, so you can send it in and they'll replace/clean the screen and apply some fix to it. catch is, you have to pay for S&H and you'll go without a phone for a bit
I have a ridiculous amount of dust in the lower left hand corner of my screen... so much so that part of the screen isn't visible anymore. Do you think Sprint would just let me exchange it for a new one? Or would I still have to go through HTC?
Want news/reviews/tutorials on technology? Visit my website http://www.techneektv.com
CyanogenMod for the Moto Photon 4G
My GitHub: GitHub

justinisyoung
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinehart93 View Post
I have a ridiculous amount of dust in the lower left hand corner of my screen... so much so that part of the screen isn't visible anymore. Do you think Sprint would just let me exchange it for a new one? Or would I still have to go through HTC?
well i e-mailed htc about this twice. the first time they said that if the dust got bad enough, i could send it to HTC and they'd repair it. they also said this:

Quote:
I understand how frustrating it can be for dust to collect under the screen of your device. We have recently learned that Sprint has a process in place to resolve this issue. Please contact Sprint for the location of your nearest Sprint Service and Repair facility. They are equipped to clean your device, and in doing so will be able to keep the issue from recurring in the future. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.
which pretty much means that the sprint store should be able to repair it for free.

beyondinferno
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisyoung View Post
well i e-mailed htc about this twice. the first time they said that if the dust got bad enough, i could send it to HTC and they'd repair it. they also said this:

which pretty much means that the sprint store should be able to repair it for free.
That's great to hear! Nice to know it's not like my Mogul was. They just kept giving me broken phones until I bought my hero....

Retired
HTC Droid DNA
Motorola Photon 4G
Samsung Nexus S 4G
HTC Heroc
HTC Mogul
HTC PPC-6700
Samsung A900

thematrixkid17
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I had heard about the dust problem before, and was glad that I didn't have that problem yet... After reading this thread, I decided to look again.... Now I do have dust in the bottom right

It seems to me that the problem is dust entering between the keypad and the screen, and then getting up underneath of the digitizer which doesn't seem to be against the LCD, which is strange, I think. Most handhelds I've taken apart have the digitizer glued around the edges directly to the LCD. Thank god that HTC and Sprint are actually addressing this problem. If someone does know how and where this seal is applied, I'd love to know. I might be taking mine back before too long, and I always would like to know what they're going to do beforehand.
Qualcomm QCP-1960 -> Sanyo PM-8200 -> LG LX550 -> Samsung Rant -> HTC Touch Pro -> HTC Hero -> Samsung Epic 4G -> HTC Evo 3D