Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,998 Members 39,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Avoiding an AT&T Data Plan

Tip us?

Postal76
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Avoiding an AT&T Data Plan

I was happily using my Nexus One on AT&T without a data plan (and with data blocked) since it was released, but I made the mistake of giving AT&T the IMEI number of my Nexus today. Now they tell me that I am required to get a $30 data plan because it is a "PDA", despite the fact that it cannot use 3G on AT&T's network.

Does anyone know of a way to ditch the data plan? Is it possible that I could give AT&T the IMEI of an old phone, then switch my SIM to the Nexus?

laughter95
Old
Thanks Meter 0
as a user who uses the nexus one on att, heating something like this is
infuriating.how is it their business to make you buy a data plan? I can understand if they subsidized the phone but obviously in this case it was not. thanks for the heads up. i would never disclose this kind of information to att unless I absolutely had to do so.

JHaste
Old
Thanks Meter 32
use this as a way to break your contract and come to tmobile and enjoy the way a real provider is sposed to treat you... pretty much if you have ATT and dont have an iphone, they dont care about you

pjcforpres
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal76 View Post
I was happily using my Nexus One on AT&T without a data plan (and with data blocked) since it was released, but I made the mistake of giving AT&T the IMEI number of my Nexus today. Now they tell me that I am required to get a $30 data plan because it is a "PDA", despite the fact that it cannot use 3G on AT&T's network.

Does anyone know of a way to ditch the data plan? Is it possible that I could give AT&T the IMEI of an old phone, then switch my SIM to the Nexus?
I am kinda surprised they are doing this... Then again, times are "tough"...

I would ask them where in the contract you signed it says you have to have a data plan? Let them know that if they start charging you for a service you didn't sign up for or agree to, they will be hearing from an attorney.
Current:
Me: LG Thrill, rooted, et al
Wife: Infuse, slaps my hand away before I can root it...

maxh
Old
Thanks Meter 78
When AT&T began mandating the smartphone dataplans (September?) people that already had a smartphone on their account without a smartphone data plan were given a feature called "smartphone exclusion". If you had this and they took it off when you gave them the nexus one imei, you may be able to call customer service and get them to put it back on. That's the only way I can think of. They're implementing a system which automatically adds a smartphone data plan onto your account when you put your sim card into a smartphone and it reports a recognized smartphone imei to AT&T unless you have the smartphone exclusion feature.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1618214

Postal76
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxh View Post
When AT&T began mandating the smartphone dataplans (September?) people that already had a smartphone on their account without a smartphone data plan were given a feature called "smartphone exclusion". If you had this and they took it off when you gave them the nexus one imei, you may be able to call customer service and get them to put it back on. That's the only way I can think of. They're implementing a system which automatically adds a smartphone data plan onto your account when you put your sim card into a smartphone and it reports a recognized smartphone imei to AT&T unless you have the smartphone exclusion feature.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1618214
Very interesting. This make sense, since AT&T should be able to find out what kind of phone you're using even if you don't give them your IMEI. I suppose I might have had a "smartphone exclusion" put on my account back when I was using a myTouch 3G on AT&T without a data plan.

However, I doubt AT&T is going to work with me on this, given the extremely unsatisfactory customer service I received today after speaking to 3 representatives.

mesajoejoe
Old
Thanks Meter 15
What happens when your using just a normal phone with att, and your buddy has a nexus one. and so you go over to his house and put your sim on it just to see how it works, cause your interested in it and all. so you borrow it for a day to test it out. and att starts charging you for data? Sounds bull**** to me that they can do that if your not using 3g data service... period

Matterhorn
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I've had these issues with ATT as well. In September they "discovered" my Touch HD on their network and zapped it from working. I was on the "pay as you go" plan. I switched the SIM to my old HTC Trinity and my service was useable again. Since the Trinity was one of the first full featured phones, they must not have had it in their "kill" database.

I dumped ATT like a hot rock, then went to T-mobile and I've never looked back. ATT has nothing over T-mobile.
_/\_ Matterhorn

Nexus 7 OTG USB adapter, 32gb micro SD
Galaxy Nexus GSM, Jawbone Era BT
Asus Transformer + Dock, 32GB SD, 32GB micro SD
Nexus One 16gb 10x microSD

Postal76
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
I've had these issues with ATT as well. In September they "discovered" my Touch HD on their network and zapped it from working. I was on the "pay as you go" plan. I switched the SIM to my old HTC Trinity and my service was useable again. Since the Trinity was one of the first full featured phones, they must not have had it in their "kill" database.

I dumped ATT like a hot rock, then went to T-mobile and I've never looked back. ATT has nothing over T-mobile.
Trust me, I'd love to do the same. But A&T is much cheaper for me (it would be $120 for a 2 line family plan with data vs. $155 on T-Mobile) even when I don't include my AT&T premier discount. I was pretty sad to learn that T-Mobile's pricing isn't very competitive, at least when it comes to Nexus One plans.

jblazea50
Old
Thanks Meter 440

DONATE TO ME
i've had the N1 on ATT for about a month now and i don't have data plan and never signed up for one; i am near wifi 80-90% of the time and don't need the data plan; never got any texts from them forcing me to get data;

btw, i am on a family plan