Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

Game over, Microsoft said HD2 is not upgradeable to WP7S

OP gogol

1st March 2010, 12:17 PM   |  #1  
gogol's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 165
 
3,499 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2005
http://apcmag.com/microsoft-no-windo...6x-devices.htm

Owners of HTC’s highly-praised HD2 touchscreen smartphone will be unable to upgrade the device to Microsoft’s new Windows Phone 7 software when the OS is released towards the end of the year.

Despite the HD2 meeting many of the criteria laid down in Microsoft’s ‘Chassis 1’ spec – including a 1GHz Qualcomm processor, high-res capacitive touch display, 5 megapixel camera and 3.5mm headphone jack – the phone will be ruled out for the simple reason that it has five buttons instead of the three mandated for all Windows Phone 7 devices.

That’s the official line from Microsoft, at any rate. Natasha Kwan, General Manager for Microsoft’s Mobile Communications Business in the Asia-Pacific region, told APC that the HD2 “doesn’t qualify because it doesn’t have the three buttons”.




At least officially, but un-officially I would bet that some gurus from XDA-dev will make it happen ... when the WP7S is available end of this year. They should be able to get the ROM and port it to HD2. That's my feeling.

And there is still hope this will be negated on the next MIX10 .... Microsoft will say "That's not true, HD2 is upgradeable to WP7S and here is the beta ROM you can put and test"
1st March 2010, 12:40 PM   |  #2  
young blade's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 18
 
448 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
More
This .. its just... don't have words 4 this..

Now its all up to the devs..
Last edited by young blade; 1st March 2010 at 12:43 PM.
1st March 2010, 12:42 PM   |  #3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
That well and truly Sux ....

But i have very little to worry about

We're at XDA's !!!!!!!!
1st March 2010, 12:44 PM   |  #4  
Shasarak's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 127
 
1,351 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogol

At least officially, but un-officially I would bet that some gurus from XDA-dev will make it happen ... when the WP7S is available end of this year. They should be able to get the ROM and port it to HD2. That's my feeling.

Well, as has been pointed out in many other threads, producing a cooked ROM based on a new CE kernel is a completely different proposition from porting between different versions of WM5 and 6. Whether we see a cooked HD2 ROM based on WP7 is pretty much entirely dependent on three things:

1) There needs to be a beta WP7 ROM for the HD2 produced by Microsoft and/or HTC. (Evidence that this exists is strong, but not absolutely conclusive).

2) The beta version has to be recent enough that there is no change to the driver architecture between it and the released version.

3) The beta has to be leaked.

IMO, the last of those is not by any means guaranteed this time round.
1st March 2010, 12:48 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
569 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
I hardly think that because the HD2 has 2 extra buttons this would prevent WP7S from running on it! Seriously, who are they trying to kid?
1st March 2010, 12:48 PM   |  #6  
Shasarak's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 127
 
1,351 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
Hmm, there's some more stuff in the linked article that the original poster doesn't quote:
Quote:

There could be more to this than just the sin of having two buttons too many, however: Tony Wilkinson, Business Operations Director for Microsoft Australia, told APC that “there are some hardware components that the HD doesn’t have”.

We’re not sure what those are because Microsoft has not revealed its complete recipe for Windows Phone 7 devices – that’s due to take place at this month’s MIX developer conference in Las Vegas – but we’ve heard that a pixel-pushing graphics chip might be on the checklist.

Assuming that it's not just a matter of buttons, I'd say that makes even an unofficial HD2 port a bit less likely, but we'll see.
1st March 2010, 01:07 PM   |  #7  
gogol's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 165
 
3,499 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2005
Completely understood.

We could wait that ROM anyway, whether leaked or come from official WP7S phone later this year or God knows where.

There are many amazing things which were unthinkable done by XDA devs here. They just too many to mention here ... HTC Kaiser missing drivers, WM6.5 on <insert HTC devices>, Android on WM, etc.

Even if it could not be done, but having HOPE is not a bad thing ...

However, certainly, this could potentially put a halt on HD2 sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasarak

Well, as has been pointed out in many other threads, producing a cooked ROM based on a new CE kernel is a completely different proposition from porting between different versions of WM5 and 6. Whether we see a cooked HD2 ROM based on WP7 is pretty much entirely dependent on three things:

1) There needs to be a beta WP7 ROM for the HD2 produced by Microsoft and/or HTC. (Evidence that this exists is strong, but not absolutely conclusive).

2) The beta version has to be recent enough that there is no change to the driver architecture between it and the released version.

3) The beta has to be leaked.

IMO, the last of those is not by any means guaranteed this time round.

1st March 2010, 01:23 PM   |  #8  
Shasarak's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 127
 
1,351 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudfood

I hardly think that because the HD2 has 2 extra buttons this would prevent WP7S from running on it! Seriously, who are they trying to kid?

It could certainly be enough to prevent an official WP7 upgrade for the HD2, and we now have word from an actual Microsoft representative which suggeststhat this is indeed the case.

That reminds me, where's Freyberry? He owes a number of people a grovelling apology for insulting them when they suggested that the buttons on the HD2 might have an impact on WP7 availability....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogol

Even if it could not be done, but having HOPE is not a bad thing ...

Having hope is a bad thing if anyone buys an HD2 because of that hope, only to have it proven unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogol

We could wait that ROM anyway, whether leaked or come from official WP7S phone later this year or God knows where.

A ROM from an official WP7S phone almost certainly wouldn't be adequate. Unless every single hardware component in it is identical to the HD2, you would still have no way of getting hold of the necessary drivers. So if, say, the camera in this phone wasn't the same as the one in the HD2, then it would be impossible to make a cooked WP7 HD2 ROM from it in which the camera works. The only way you could do it is if there is a group of official WP7S phones which between them contain every single component in the HD2 - not just the chipset but the camera, proximity sensor, touchscreen, everything.
Last edited by Shasarak; 1st March 2010 at 01:29 PM.
1st March 2010, 01:43 PM   |  #9  
wmh's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
85 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
More
Lightbulb
I bet the "5 buttons" reason is a bad excuse to not having to reveal more info prior to MIX.

My guess that this reason is BS because of the announcement of LG's first WP7 phone, this is taken from the article about it on neowin:

Quote:

The device sports a QWERTY slide-out keyboard as well as a touch screen and the three standard Windows Phone 7 prescribed buttons: back, home and search. Other buttons include power, camera and volume controls.

source:
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...andset-from-lg

Obviously this phone has more buttons than the HD2 and will be running WP7.
1st March 2010, 02:13 PM   |  #10  
gogol's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 165
 
3,499 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasarak

It could certainly be enough to prevent an official WP7 upgrade for the HD2, and we now have word from an actual Microsoft representative which suggeststhat this is indeed the case.

That reminds me, where's Freyberry? He owes a number of people a grovelling apology for insulting them when they suggested that the buttons on the HD2 might have an impact on WP7 availability....

No comment on this he he he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasarak

Having hope is a bad thing if anyone buys an HD2 because of that hope, only to have it proven unrealistic.

You are correct, but I also said:
However, certainly, this could potentially put a halt on HD2 sales.

What I mean with hope is for "current owner" of HD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasarak

A ROM from an official WP7S phone almost certainly wouldn't be adequate. Unless every single hardware component in it is identical to the HD2, you would still have no way of getting hold of the necessary drivers. So if, say, the camera in this phone wasn't the same as the one in the HD2, then it would be impossible to make a cooked WP7 HD2 ROM from it in which the camera works. The only way you could do it is if there is a group of official WP7S phones which between them contain every single component in the HD2 - not just the chipset but the camera, proximity sensor, touchscreen, everything.

Fully understand. But do you think all the hardware components would be exactly different?

Learning from past experience, most if not all past devices still have the same hardware components. That's why XDA can still port WM6.5 to some of old devices.

Why would suddenly the hardware is now totally differents?

Even if it is new hardware component, I would think it will be backward compatible with the old hardware.

Well, it could be that the new OS requires to use "new drivers format" for that "old hardware" (HD2) ...

That is quite obvious.

So, either the new WP7S devices are still using most the same hardware components, which means the WP7S drivers will be somehow backward compatible with old hardware.

Or, some super clever XDA dev will create new drivers for HD2 using new device driver format of WP7S. This sounds impossible, but .... who knows?

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes