Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,126 Members 42,652 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best Radio for Andriod

Tip us?

PaceyWhitter
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Best Radio for Andriod

I was looking into whether some of my GPS problems were due to the radio I was using.

I'm using the last official Sprint radio (which I believe was 3.35). I have seen that some people have been using 3.42.50.

Two questions, first how do I determine what radio I am using if I have android on the NAND and second, would updating the radio improve GPS reception?

incubus26jc
Old
(Last edited by incubus26jc; 2nd March 2010 at 10:50 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3571

DONATE TO ME
Most people use 3.42.50 with AGPS Fix(Assisted GPS) using data. Search vogue agps. Its a process that you will need to do using windows mobile. It will give you gps locks in 5 to 15 sec rather than 30 sec to a minute. You can update the radio without doing the fix. Im not sure how to determine your radio with android. sorry. Not saying there isnt a way
EDIT: Sorry agps is verizon only

jnadke
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Most people in the WinMo forums say 3.42.50 improves reception, some say it doesn't.

I'm on Sprint and I use 3.42.50. Been using it for a long while now, certainly haven't had issues. It's the one I use when doing development on the GPS driver.

br125
Old
(Last edited by br125; 2nd March 2010 at 11:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 40
honestly after messing with the radio in WM (everyone claiming better results with the bell radio .45, so I had to try it), and not noticing any favorable differences, I ended up back with my factory vzw 3.37.78 radio, which "seems" to work the best for me, yet like I said, almost no difference was noted.

That being said, android "should" not be any different in terms of radio.. as I'm still on the same vzw radio with great gps results running android.

NAND with mssmison's 2.1 build (currently)
xv6900 from verizon (vogue)
** same results with other builds as well

edit: I did not seem to find any negatives to the "upgraded" radio either.. so it doesn't hurt to try, but don't expect the world, as it might not change anything
You're on sprint so you do not need to worry about the aGPS fix either, that's only for vzw vogues
Galaxy S4

Vogue
Eris
Incredible
Galaxy Nexus

incubus26jc
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3571

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by br125 View Post
honestly after messing with the radio in WM (everyone claiming better results with the bell radio .45, so I had to try it), and not noticing any favorable differences, I ended up back with my factory vzw 3.37.78 radio, which "seems" to work the best for me, yet like I said, almost no difference was noted.

That being said, android "should" not be any different in terms of radio.. as I'm still on the same vzw radio with great gps results running android.

NAND with msmission's 2.1 build (currently)
xv6900 from verizon (vogue)
** same results with other builds as well

edit: I did not seem to find any negatives to the "upgraded" radio either.. so it doesn't hurt to try, but don't expect the world, as it might not change anything
You're on sprint so you do not need to worry about the aGPS fix either, that's only for vzw vogues
I didnt know that it was for vzw only. sorry.

br125
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus26jc View Post
I didnt know that it was for vzw only. sorry.
yep, vzw is the only one that decided to lock down the gps so you'd buy vz navigator, but the developers here of course found a way around it!

thanks to xda again!
Galaxy S4

Vogue
Eris
Incredible
Galaxy Nexus

Reddog80p
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by br125 View Post
yep, vzw is the only one that decided to lock down the gps so you'd buy vz navigator, but the developers here of course found a way around it!

thanks to xda again!
I think U.S Cellular locks gps too, you just don't hear about it in here. I have never noticed a difference between 3.37.78,3.42.30 or 3.42.50. I run 3.42.50 cus I'm cool like that! lol

PaceyWhitter
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So, is the only way to upgrade the radio to reflash winmo? I found the .nbh but it wouldn't flash the normal way.

br125
Old
(Last edited by br125; 2nd March 2010 at 11:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog80p View Post
I think U.S Cellular locks gps too, you just don't hear about it in here. I have never noticed a difference between 3.37.78,3.42.30 or 3.42.50. I run 3.42.50 cus I'm cool like that! lol
touché! I did not know that about us cellular..

so yeah, what he said..

edit: I've never flashed a radio without using the "radio rom" with WM 6.1 from a carrier... BUT it is possible to flash the radio only, you just might spend more time looking for the .nbh you need to flash..

I recommend just flashing the stock bell wm 6.1 rom to flash the radio, making sure to not let customizations run, then back to android
Galaxy S4

Vogue
Eris
Incredible
Galaxy Nexus

myn
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4002

DONATE TO ME
I'm running 3.42.30 from Sprint.

I never experienced any problems with this version and as they always say. If it ain't broke.. Don't fix it.