XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WinMo to Android "converts"

Tip us?

venelar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 338
Default WinMo to Android "converts"

If this phone gets to the US through att (please!) I'm thinking hard about picking it up. I have a question though for the users that have switched from winmo to android.

I've been a winmo user since the wizard days and here lately I've grown tired of the daily resets (or multiple resets per day) to keep memory down and things running smooth. I love the Sense UI but it's a hog on winmo. I never thought I'd go to another phone that didn't have a slide out keyboard but the desire is something I'm really considering.

I realize this is a modding community and I'm sure I'll mod the device, but whereas the sense ui on winmo is "lipstick on a pig" it seems it's a lot more seamless on android.

Mainly i think i'm just getting burned out on winmo, but i refuse to support the evil empire of apple lol. I just want a phone that i don't have to restart every day, and I'm hoping android can be that.

So uh, does android "just work"?
Be thankful...donate to your cooks AND XDA!
XDA is not a service or a store, these are real people spending their own valuable time... Thank them.

Nexus 5: Omni - FrancoKernel

incaaa
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Depending on how much of a "power user" one is , you could say Android just works.
I mean, Android with Sense + some minor tweaks and i don't have the urge to hack my phone into little pieces. I just use it.
Then again, for "just using" you might aswell get the iPhone.

brummiesteven
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Yes android does "Just Work"

And Sense UI on WinMo is completely different to the Android version, I couldn't believe they called it the same name =/

cez10
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiesteven View Post
Yes android does "Just Work"

And Sense UI on WinMo is completely different to the Android version, I couldn't believe they called it the same name =/
what u mean by different? whats so different?

Ace42
Old
Thanks Meter 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by cez10 View Post
Some of the design and the widgets of course and the integration. Plus it's slower on winmo than on android...
Main: LG Optimus G (E970) : Hybrid radios for E970
Surface RT 32GB
LG Nexus 4_Gnome 4.4(cracked)
Kindle Fire 1G_CM11
SGS Vibrant_CM11

Owned: G1(Backup)-> Mytouch3GS(Sold) -> SideKick4G(Traded) -> MyTouch4G(Sold) -> Sensation 4G(Sold) -> Galaxy Player 5"(Sold) ->Nexus 4(broken)

sh500
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Almost identical reasons as the OP for me very seriously considering moving to the Desire.

Sense on Android does seem far more customisable than on WinMo devices. I've been using WinMo device since the Imate JAM.

brummiesteven
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cez10 View Post
Sense UI on winmo is basically touchflo

McHale
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I'm a die hard WinMo fan (I have well over a dozen WinMo phones right now - all HTC except 2). I want the Desire if for no other reason to hack something different while I wait for Windows Mobile 7 (which I may not get). If for no other reason, I ran out of things to hack on Windows Mobile. I need a new challenge. If I end up not liking Android, at least it kept me busy while we wait for Windows Mobile 7 (I refuse to call it anything else).

I picked up an iPhone 3GS just to see what I could do with it. Never even activated it. Not one of my prouder moments...

-Mc
CURRENT Device: Nokia Lumia 920.

HTC should die a slow, painful death.

cortez.i
Old
(Last edited by cortez.i; 7th March 2010 at 08:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHale View Post
I'm a die hard WinMo fan (I have well over a dozen WinMo phones right now - all HTC except 2). I want the Desire if for no other reason to hack something different while I wait for Windows Mobile 7 (which I may not get). If for no other reason, I ran out of things to hack on Windows Mobile. I need a new challenge. If I end up not liking Android, at least it kept me busy while we wait for Windows Mobile 7 (I refuse to call it anything else).

I picked up an iPhone 3GS just to see what I could do with it. Never even activated it. Not one of my prouder moments...

-Mc
same here... i absolutely love WinMo and will never, ever abandon it. i'm waiting for the HD2 to drop on T-Mo so i can test before i buy. if i get the HD2 it will be the Telstra version. i might wait longer for a WinMo 7 device, too.

i took the Android plunge almost 2 months ago with the Nexus One. i have been challenged to no end to learn some of the Android basics, but i'm getting there. once i got the courage to unlock and root, it was friggin on! now i'm running the alpha Desire ROM (yes alpha), a.k.a, Sense UI, which isn't perfect, but from a functionality and performance perspective i couldn't be happier. (well, that's not entirely true, i'm hoping that Paul@MoDaCo can get bluetooth fixed, it's a little flaky right now). i truly, truly hope that WM Seven is similar in performance and functionality.

using Android hasn't been an easy journey and i was very concerned that i'd change my mind and go back to WinMo, but it hasn't happened. i know i will be a better, more knowledgeable hacker in the future. some of the things i admire with Android/Nexus One:
  1. ability to create backups before testing new ROMs. i mean backups with all my apps installed. a.k.a., Nandroid
  2. the ability to recover from my mistakes via Nandroid backups.
  3. a buttload of themes, customizations galore for the Nexus One
  4. notification panel, where you can slide down for all your notifications
  5. a great browsing experience
  6. absolutely beautiful AMOLED screen
  7. with a 1 ghz processor, this thing is simply fast
  8. gesture search of contacts, music, apps, web, etc. it's like the old graffiti but using the regular alphabet
things that are challenging me big time:
  1. Android command language
  2. ROM/folder structures, basically where stuff get's stored
  3. java, java, java
  4. no native install to microSD card, there's AP2SD, but i'm not ready for that yet
  5. not knowing how Android manages memory, programs, etc.
  6. knowing how to create my own themes; i've had more failures than successes
  7. having to depend more on others for assistance than i'm accustomed to.
i'm glad i made the transition to Android with the right device (for me). i miss WinMo and my all time favorite device Touch HD. i have an Xda Orbit II as a standby that's been good to me for 2 years. i'll be back to WinMo 7, but for now, i'm enjoying my Android experience.

i'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to move to Android; i only want to share my experience as a current/forever, diehard WinMo user. thanks for allowing me to express my thoughts!

p.s. i still have my first WinMo device, it's an MPx 200 running WinMo 6.5. a classic device that i will never give up!
d.cortez || HTC One (M8) || SGN 3 || Nexus 7 (LTE)
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm Happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?" --Snoopy

XDA mark
Old
Thanks Meter 464
I can not call myself a WinMo veteran, since I have been using the HD2 for only 2,5 months. But the fact that it is already a dead device because of the Developers leaving to 7 Series(Adobe just stopped making flash for it, while they were very close to finishing it) makes me sad. If on 1 April there is still no word on the future of the HD2, I am selling it and getting a Desire.

A few questions to Android users!

How is the Android Market? How many apps? All useable by Desire, or is the divercity of the Android devices making the quality suffer? And only instal to internal memory right?

General Android OS: easy to use? Eye candy? Touch optimized?

Android browser: good or not? Is there Opera browser for Android?

Does HTC Sense work well with Android? Does it become 'one', or stay 2 different things like Sense and WinMo?

What should I know more about Android? What do you Android users think are the bad things about the OS and hope to see changed in the future updates?

I know it is a lot I am asking, but I am making a right decision this time so I need to be informed.

Kind regards
HTC ONE (M7) 32GB
ROM: ARHD v31 (4.3)

Galaxy S3 16GB + 32GB sdcard
ROM: ARHD v40 (4.3)

My theme's
Black Ops 2 theme
WP8 Metro theme
Mac OS theme
Other theme's including Assassin's Creed 3, Final Fantasy 7/8 & Metal Gear Solid

History: HTC HD2 -> HTC Desire -> Samsung Galaxy S II, Galaxy S III, HTC One.