Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[ADB Setup] Motorola Backflip

OP moosefist

8th March 2010, 09:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

289 posts
1. DOWNLOAD USB DRIVERS
Motorola ADB Driver 32bit
Motorola ADB Driver 64bit
2. INSTALL THE SDK
-Download latest SDK http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
-Extract Archive to C:\SDK\ (or C:\Android, or whatever you want)
3. Enable debugging on your phone (thanks naplesbill)
-Goto Settings > Applications > Development > and Check the USB debugging option
4. Optional, but recommended
-Setup Enviroment Variables:
On Windows, right-click on My Computer, and select Properties. Under the Advanced tab, hit the Environment Variables button, and in the dialog that comes up, double-click on Path (under System Variables). Add the full path to the tools/ directory to the path AFTER A SEMICOLON (;C:\SDK\tools\) .
-Setup Droid Explorer:
Goto Droid Explorer Downloads and snatch the latest version, then install. (mine showed an error during install i believe due to the lack of HTC drivers. If you installed motorola's drivers it should still be in your start menu and work fine)

If for some reason you can't figure it out, install the drivers then try this installation guide: ADB For Dummies Guide

ADB APK Install instructions
Quote:
Originally Posted by j101399j

1. Create a folder called adb on your C drive

2. Extract all files to your adb folder

3. Copy the cmd.exe file (copy the file don't make a shortcut to it or move it) from your "C:\Windows\System32" folder to the adb folder

4. Install the downloaded USB driver

4. Once you have the driver installed, on your phone enable debugging mode (Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> Development --> Check USB Debugging)

5. Copy the apk files you want installed to your "C:\adb\tools" folder. The adb.exe and cmd.exe should be in that tools folder.

5. Open the cmd.exe file

6.Type the following command:
Code:

Code:
adb install application.apk
Where application.apk is the name of the apk to install

Your app should now be installed

Please note that you cannot install apps used on 1.6, 2.x builds

BACKFLIP SYSTEM DUMP http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=642684
BACKFLIP SOURCE CODE http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=645369
Last edited by moosefist; 15th June 2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Updated app install instructions
8th March 2010, 09:51 PM   |  #2  
Flag Kamloops, BC
Thanks Meter: 1

375 posts
More
Don't you still need root?
I fail to see how this can help without rooting the Backflop unless Droid Explorer has some way of overriding that setting.
8th March 2010, 10:02 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

289 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrion

I fail to see how this can help without rooting the Backflop unless Droid Explorer has some way of overriding that setting.

It doesn't help deleting the protected apps, but it makes it easier to install apks. This is especially helpful since the backflip doesn't allow anything to be installed through phones interface except through the market.
8th March 2010, 10:29 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 51

796 posts
Ok, it works, but only if you turn on the Applications, Development, USB Debugging in the settings menus.
8th March 2010, 10:39 PM   |  #5  
Flag Sydney

131 posts
More
Well, that's kind of a given as ADB won't work without USB Debugging on.

Quote:

We meet again Charrion! This is like the third time today I've run into you.

Don't need to have root to install APKs via ADB. Even us poor Milestone owners can do it via 'ADB install <app.apk>.'
Last edited by Unimaginative; 8th March 2010 at 10:46 PM.
8th March 2010, 10:41 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 51

796 posts
I am just pointing that out for those that aren't familiar with that. I imagine there will be users who wouldn't normally bother with this, doing it just to be able to install non-market apk files.
8th March 2010, 10:48 PM   |  #7  
Flag Sydney

131 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naplesbill

I am just pointing that out for those that aren't familiar with that. I imagine there will be users who wouldn't normally bother with this, doing it just to be able to install non-market apk files.

Ah, fair enough. Sorry about that.
9th March 2010, 01:05 AM   |  #8  
Flag Kamloops, BC
Thanks Meter: 1

375 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimaginative

Well, that's kind of a given as ADB won't work without USB Debugging on.

We meet again Charrion! This is like the third time today I've run into you.

Don't need to have root to install APKs via ADB. Even us poor Milestone owners can do it via 'ADB install <app.apk>.'

I'm on a crusade :)

OK, so you can install apks through adb even without unknown sources being enabled.

Has anyone determined if the option to enter debug mode is still available on the backflop? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they disabled that option also.

I'm also curious whether the backflop has a signed mbm like the Milestone to prevent loading custom roms.
9th March 2010, 01:17 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

289 posts
Quote:

I'm on a crusade :)

OK, so you can install apks through adb even without unknown sources being enabled.

Has anyone determined if the option to enter debug mode is still available on the backflop? I wouldn't be at all surprised if they disabled that option also.

I'm also curious whether the backflop has a signed mbm like the Milestone to prevent loading custom roms.

The use debug mode is indeed available, I just forgot to mention turning it on.

From what I understand, this phone will be rooted like the cliq.... unfortunately for that to happen certain key files need to be leaked.
9th March 2010, 01:51 AM   |  #10  
Flag So Cal
Thanks Meter: 49

1,139 posts
More
@moosefist;

Thank you so much for posting this.

I am now able to install non-Market apps

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread