Wifi use for email and Opera

OP mattp94

15th March 2010, 07:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

41 posts
More
Firstly I apologise if this has been answered already but I've tried searching and couldn't find an answer.
My email and internet works perfectly over a 3G connection but I spend a lot of my time travelling and so as not to incur high roaming charges I would like to be able to use a wifi connection for my email and internet. The problem is that even when I have a wifi connection both of these applications still try to use the 3G signal.

I expect I am probably missing something quite basic but I can't seem to work out how to make these applications use the wifi connection instead of 3G.
If someone could explain this to me I would be very grateful. If you can provide an idiots guide of step by step instructions that would be even better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt
16th March 2010, 01:58 PM   |  #2  
Flag Washington State
Thanks Meter: 7

205 posts
More
For email go into the account settings for each email account and under advanced server settings change the connection. on AT&T it defaults to Media Net. Change this to The Internet and this will allow it to use wifi if it is on.
16th March 2010, 09:59 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
I always set my Wi-Fi connections to connect to my Work network, and leave AT&T as The Internet. Then in the Connections settings, I switch the preferred networks for applications to access the internet between Work and The Internet depending on what I want to force the phone to use. Works for ALL applications that access the internet, not just email. For a long time I didn't even have an AT&T data plan, and that's how I forced my phone to use Wi-fi.
3rd July 2010, 10:52 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 10

115 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalavar

For email go into the account settings for each email account and under advanced server settings change the connection. on AT&T it defaults to Media Net. Change this to The Internet and this will allow it to use wifi if it is on.

Thanks for the hint. But how can I change the preferred connection (e.g. wifi) using my hotmail-account for email? I can't find in the account-settings.

Any ideas are welcome!!!

Energy.RHODIUM.21907.Sense2.5.Cookie.Jul.01.7z
HTC TP2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread