XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi use for email and Opera

Tip us?

mattp94
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Wifi use for email and Opera

Firstly I apologise if this has been answered already but I've tried searching and couldn't find an answer.
My email and internet works perfectly over a 3G connection but I spend a lot of my time travelling and so as not to incur high roaming charges I would like to be able to use a wifi connection for my email and internet. The problem is that even when I have a wifi connection both of these applications still try to use the 3G signal.

I expect I am probably missing something quite basic but I can't seem to work out how to make these applications use the wifi connection instead of 3G.
If someone could explain this to me I would be very grateful. If you can provide an idiots guide of step by step instructions that would be even better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

dalavar
Old
Thanks Meter 7
For email go into the account settings for each email account and under advanced server settings change the connection. on AT&T it defaults to Media Net. Change this to The Internet and this will allow it to use wifi if it is on.

greg3305
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I always set my Wi-Fi connections to connect to my Work network, and leave AT&T as The Internet. Then in the Connections settings, I switch the preferred networks for applications to access the internet between Work and The Internet depending on what I want to force the phone to use. Works for ALL applications that access the internet, not just email. For a long time I didn't even have an AT&T data plan, and that's how I forced my phone to use Wi-fi.

blaster88
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalavar View Post
For email go into the account settings for each email account and under advanced server settings change the connection. on AT&T it defaults to Media Net. Change this to The Internet and this will allow it to use wifi if it is on.
Thanks for the hint. But how can I change the preferred connection (e.g. wifi) using my hotmail-account for email? I can't find in the account-settings.

Any ideas are welcome!!!

Energy.RHODIUM.21907.Sense2.5.Cookie.Jul.01.7z
HTC TP2