Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,418 Members 47,519 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Multi-tasking confirmed..?

Tip us?

Barguast
Old
(Last edited by Barguast; 16th March 2010 at 12:10 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default Multi-tasking confirmed..?

Just tried out the Windows Phone 7 Visual Studio. I made a simple application which simply spawns a thread and uses it to update a textbox, showing how long the application has been open.

If I start the application, then press the Windows button and open Internet Explorer then the application appears to continue running. That is, if I press the Windows button and choose my application again, the count continues and had been successfully updating while IE was open.

However, if I press the back key from my application then that does indeed appear to close the application.

So... Multi-tasking is confirmed, albeit simply.

Kloc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barguast View Post
Just tried out the Windows Phone 7 Visual Studio. I made a simple application which simply spawns a thread and uses it to update a textbox, showing how long the application has been open.

If I start the application, then press the Windows button and open Internet Explorer then the application appears to continue running (that is, if I press the Windows button and choose my application again, the count continues and had been successfully updating while IE was open).

However, if I press the back key from my application then that does indeed appear to close the application.

So... Multi-tasking is confirmed, albeit simply.
Or not. It's been said already. NO 3RD PARTY MULTITASKING AVAIABLE. Just save states and such.
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Phone: Dell Venue Pro 16GB
"Ask not what your smartphone can do for you - ask what you can do for your smartphone. Ask not what developers will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of smartphones."

Barguast
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Try it. It works. Microsoft have stressed how like-for-like the emulator is with their hardware. This shows that multitasking is possible. Whether they restrict it at the distribution level (i.e. rejecting multi-tasking apps for Marketplace) is another matter.

Out of interest, where was it confirmed that multi-tasking for third party apps was a no-no? I vaguely recall a leaked developers' document.

Kloc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barguast View Post
Try it. It works. Microsoft have stressed how like-for-like the emulator is with their hardware. This shows that multitasking is possible. Whether they restrict it at the distribution level (i.e. rejecting multi-tasking apps for Marketplace) is another matter.

Out of interest, where was it confirmed that multi-tasking for third party apps was a no-no? I vaguely recall a leaked developers' document.
I don't disbelive that it's working on emulator but I've been watching MIX steamed live. I heard this directly from a WP7 developers mouth. Can't get anymore confirmed then that.
"Ask not what your smartphone can do for you - ask what you can do for your smartphone. Ask not what developers will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of smartphones."

gom99
Old
Thanks Meter 2
perhaps it's because you're running a native app and a 3rd party app? Try running 2 3rd party apps to see if one shuts down maybe?

Kloc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah try running 2 3rd party apps. Native apps will be able to multitasking with each other and 1 3rd party app. Meaning we can still listen to music, surf the web, make a phone call, and run a 3rd party app all at the same time. From what I understand.

gom99
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloc View Post
Yeah try running 2 3rd party apps. Native apps will be able to multitasking with each other and 1 3rd party app. Meaning we can still listen to music, surf the web, make a phone call, and run a 3rd party app all at the same time. From what I understand.
That's actually not so bad, especially if special 3rd party vendors can make apps that can multitask as well. Like Opera for example, in case you wanted a new browser.

But that's true Multitasking for one 3rd party app with native apps. On the iphone, doesn't it suspend your app if it's not the main application running regardless of if you use a native app? I'm not sure though.

Kloc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gom99 View Post
That's actually not so bad, especially if special 3rd party vendors can make apps that can multitask as well. Like Opera for example, in case you wanted a new browser.
Well they said certain apps that need access to the Native API should beable to get it. For example they mentioned pandora will be able to run in the background.

Kloc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gom99 View Post

But that's true Multitasking for one 3rd party app with native apps. On the iphone, doesn't it suspend your app if it's not the main application running regardless of if you use a native app? I'm not sure though.
The guy said specifically if you are loading a webpage and then switch over to the home and make a call or read email the webpage will continue to load in the background.

style1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloc View Post
The guy said specifically if you are loading a webpage and then switch over to the home and make a call or read email the webpage will continue to load in the background.
Having seen it for myself in person and unscripted. I still don't know how to feel about this. I was one of the biggest proponents of WP7 Multitasking...but I'm not sure if any of this can be considered so, after seeing it with my own eyes.

Yes, the system saves app state so when you return to it you can continue from that point.
Yes, you can cycle through multiple open apps by using the back button. You can also use the back button from the Home to cycle backwards as well.

But you can't, REALLY multitask with 3rd party apps. Unless they are built to take advantage of the Push Notifications systems, once you close them they die. They can pause, but only the core system functions will actually RUN (its not even clear if they are running, per se) in the background. I did see at one point, the guy was showing off a game, received a notification in the middle of it from his calendar appointment, he checked it and resumed the game. That could technically be considered multitasking...I guess but it not traditional M$ or WebOS style.

However if I were to be so bold as to give an opinion on it..I will say. Its better than traditional Multitasking. It really does walk a fine line between OSX and Android, but its something completely in its own. Push MAX as we have been calling it. I like it, powerusers may not.

~style~
I don't know whether to put foot in mouth or not, from my earlier statements. But just to play it safe I will admit that I was wrong on a few things, kinda...lol. Even seeing it for myself I don't know what to make of it. Of course my camera was stolen maybe 20 minutes after buying it...lol Vegas is wild. I do have some terrible phone pics and vids but as we all know WM camera vids aren't worth the crap.