Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,170 Members 43,498 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HD2 gone, Heeelllloo Desire

Tip us?

carrige
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Yeah, the screen on the Desire is smaller. But it shouldn't be that big a deal. The resolutions of both phones are the same at 800x480. This means that you'll in fact be seeing a sharper image on the Desire's smaller screen, because that same image would have to be stretched out across the larger area (but still same pixel count) on the HD2.

Only benefit I'd see for the larger screen would be when it comes to watching any movies, but even so it'd be a stretch.

leoni1980
Old
Thanks Meter 53
BUY it on CONTRACT through mobilephonesdirect.co.uk...

(hear me out, I speak from experience)

Get the T-Mobile 18 month, 20 per month deal + 59.99 for handset + small amount of postage.

Next day a SIM FREE UNLOCKED handset will arrive.

Ring T-Mobile and say you want to buy out of the contract. Although the sum of 20 times 18 is 360 you do NOT pay VAT on buyouts; thus you will only have to pay them approx 306.

306 + approx 63 = 369. I dare you to find it cheaper ;)

Jabbypants
Old
Thanks Meter 23
And the fact the Desire has a nice Amoled screen which produces better colours and contrasts.

leoni1980
Old
Thanks Meter 53
I'm a HD2 owner and yes I love the big screen and hardware but unfortunately there is nothing to offer in the Marketplace and very little in the way of exciting app development outside of the marketplace either. Maybe Ive just been spoilt by iPhone OS and Android OS but for me the HD2 has just become a little bit...boring.

I also resent the mount of bugs and slowdowns Windows Mobile seems to cause; don't get me wrong I respect the amount of time Microsoft and HTC have managed to flog what is essentially a dead horse but no matter how much people on these forums insist that their HTC is perfect and bug free I am constantly suffering out of memory errors, slowdowns, freezes, panels and icons disappearing, connection errors and popups, device hangs....to name a few.

So yes I think I can cope with a smaller screen.

riz157
Old
Thanks Meter 161
my feelings exactly, I was getting tired of constantly flashing roms to make it a bit more appealing. Still the same problems remained though, crashing, freezing. marketplace waste of space etc etc
To be honest the nail in the coffin was when i bought Iphone 3GS which really has put me off WM devices, dare I say for good. I hope HTC don't waste their products on winmo anyore either, well certainly the better devices anyway.

so look forward to desire.

OnlinePredator
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoni1980 View Post
BUY it on CONTRACT through mobilephonesdirect.co.uk...

(hear me out, I speak from experience)

Get the T-Mobile 18 month, 20 per month deal + 59.99 for handset + small amount of postage.

Next day a SIM FREE UNLOCKED handset will arrive.

Ring T-Mobile and say you want to buy out of the contract. Although the sum of 20 times 18 is 360 you do NOT pay VAT on buyouts; thus you will only have to pay them approx 306.

306 + approx 63 = 369. I dare you to find it cheaper ;)
I bought it from clove, cost 365, which includes courier to Australia.....Glad the aussie dollar is doing so well right now. Bloody bargain!
Galaxy S4 I9505
ROM: PA Beta 4

Galaxy S3 I9300
ROM: Omega 4.3

Galaxy S2
ROM: JoelDroid S2

leoni1980
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Well....I've had my Desire all morning and I love it. I used my HD2 briefly just now and it just made me want to pick up the desire again. The keyboard is responsive and seems to work out what you want to type better than the HD2, I love all the widgets and the screen absolutely pops. It feels really lovely in the hand too. My only concern now is that soon everyone will have one.

mr.vandalay
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoni1980 View Post
Well....I've had my Desire all morning and I love it. I used my HD2 briefly just now and it just made me want to pick up the desire again. The keyboard is responsive and seems to work out what you want to type better than the HD2, I love all the widgets and the screen absolutely pops. It feels really lovely in the hand too. My only concern now is that soon everyone will have one.
could you please tell me if browser speed is as fast as on hd2 or maybe even faster... i'm seriously considering getting this phone but it's not an easy decision as i've been a HC winmo user for years and i'm a complete noob when it comes down to android

p.s. i read that the browser is extremely fast ,i would just like to hear if that's really true from a hd2 user

leoni1980
Old
(Last edited by leoni1980; 27th March 2010 at 04:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 53
Hey Mr Vandalay, my favourite ROM maker.

To be honest I haven't noticed a marked difference but I shall check now. The main thing for me is that typing is back to iPhone speeds!

Ok first test, over WiFi I'm gonna test out www.smh.com.au which is a very data heavy site.

Ok I wasn't expecting that....Desire finished loading the page six seconds faster.

Now I'll try engadget.com

Ok well the Desire only won that one marginally but its not as big a page.

I would say there's not much in it, however the difference in screen size IS noticeable; on the other hand the difference in colour quality is insane. The HD2 looks pretty washed out in comparison.

Bear in mind that also I have a number of apps running and Windows open in the Desire, whereas the HD2 was freshly booted. Also my Opera 9.7 doesn't support Flash so I assume the Desire had a little bit more work to Di rendering those Windows too.

I will upload a YouTube video shortly to give you an idea

Opera Mobile 10 is coming to Android very soon anyway so that should be worth a look.

leoni1980
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Heres a link to my quick video Mr.Vandalay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8P7I7YJ3RQ