Firefox OS Architecture and Collaboration Opportunities w/ Asa Dotzler – XDA:DevCon 2014

We were privileged to host many presentations … more

Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Help me to get rid of the idea of jumping over to Nexus One...

OP DarkDvr

19th March 2010, 02:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 213

1,779 posts
More
well, an idea of getting a Nexus One has bitten me, and it won't let go.
The explanation is the sluggishness of WinMo and the half-Gz processor in my Tilt2. The problem is that I know ATTs Nexus One has it's problems as well, like the color offset, etc..

The main selling point for me (and maybe Nexus' owners can persuade me otherwise) is the interface responsiveness.. Delays of 500ms+ are unacceptable for me.. I'm ashamed to admit it, but iPhone still has the best responsiveness for me. It's just so damn fast to respond to every to.

How is Nexus One in that department? Hopefully some owners can chime in...

P.S: don't tell me to try other ROMs, I tried them all. A week of syncing with exchange and gmail make any rom too slow for me. If it takes 1second+ to load an email - thats way too slow for me.
19th March 2010, 02:52 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

452 posts
More
Only other thing I've heard of with the nexus one is the screen issues. Basically google has now stated that the nexus one is not a pocket phone due to issues with the screen when placed in your pocket (or constant pressure i'd assume).
19th March 2010, 03:34 AM   |  #3  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 52

1,181 posts
More
You should give this a try to help you decide.

Response times are pretty impressive. Plus, you have to consider that it's running on an emulator on a device with half the specs of the Nexus One.

If you like Android and you want a reason not to get the Nexus One, that reason would be the HTC Desire. More RAM, Sense, optical pad, hardware buttons.
19th March 2010, 03:45 AM   |  #4  
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 1

208 posts
More
my friend got one days after I got my TP2. It all comes down to OS preference in the end..he does admit that he hates typing on the screen, but insisted he would never need a 'physical keyboard' lol..

I really don't see anything that phone does better (except for speed) than the TP2. I'm always 1-upping him w/ apps and what not..oh and you ever use or plan to use MSFT exchange, its an absolute nightmare on android. have to pay $20 for an app called touchdown. Want office? that'll be another $20 for a program by dataviz. add that to the cost of the Nexus One..

My advice to anyone will be tough it out with what you have now, save for a WP7S phone, b/c that is going to be revolutionary!!
19th March 2010, 04:23 AM   |  #5  
Flag Sacramento, California
Thanks Meter: 6

1,064 posts
More
I honestly can't blame you, I've personally considered "jumping ships" to Android, or just waiting for WM7 device to come out and buying that. The Rhodium's a beautiful device, but the Crapcomm MSM7xxx that powers it is piss poor, and not worth the money I paid for this device. It's rather disappointing to wait for things to load on my ~5 month old device, while my ~2 year old iPod touch and iPhone seem to load things just fine. If I had the money, I would play around with the idea of getting a nicer device, but I'm stuck until I get enough cash. If I were you and I had the money, I would at least consider the options of a faster/newer/better device.

@ohyeahar: Android isn't running in an emulator, HaRET restarts the device into Android after unloading Windows Mobile from RAM. While some performance enhancements may still be made, since it's not running emulated, the speed isn't as impressive as it seems.
Last edited by DaveTheTytnIIGuy; 19th March 2010 at 04:26 AM.
19th March 2010, 05:29 AM   |  #6  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 52

1,181 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheTytnIIGuy

@ohyeahar: Android isn't running in an emulator, HaRET restarts the device into Android after unloading Windows Mobile from RAM. While some performance enhancements may still be made, since it's not running emulated, the speed isn't as impressive as it seems.

Cool, thanks for correcting me. I'm quite clueless as to how you genius developers make Android run on a WinMo device...
19th March 2010, 06:54 AM   |  #7  
Flag Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 16

99 posts
More
i just get a hands on of nexus one from my friend. and its so so much faster than tp2. go get it now! i'm gonna receive my att version tomorrow and will use it as my primary phone and use tp2 for e-mails.
19th March 2010, 08:45 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

1,779 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by token2k6

my friend got one days after I got my TP2. It all comes down to OS preference in the end..he does admit that he hates typing on the screen, but insisted he would never need a 'physical keyboard' lol..

I really don't see anything that phone does better (except for speed) than the TP2. I'm always 1-upping him w/ apps and what not..oh and you ever use or plan to use MSFT exchange, its an absolute nightmare on android. have to pay $20 for an app called touchdown. Want office? that'll be another $20 for a program by dataviz. add that to the cost of the Nexus One..

My advice to anyone will be tough it out with what you have now, save for a WP7S phone, b/c that is going to be revolutionary!!

Thanks for the good breakdown there.. problem is I see no good option for me in the future, besides, maybe, HTC Desire. WM7's interface, in my opinion, is f***king horrible. It barely covers 80% of the screen, hideous blue squares, pieces of titles... and I don't care for social networks or XBOX, as I use neither.

So WM7, so far, has put me in depression.
19th March 2010, 08:48 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

1,779 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit32

i just get a hands on of nexus one from my friend. and its so so much faster than tp2. go get it now! i'm gonna receive my att version tomorrow and will use it as my primary phone and use tp2 for e-mails.

Sounds good, but emails for me are even more important than the phone itself. I live by emails and syncing with work's exchange server.
One of the main reasons I'm considering switching to android is how awesome gmail looks like.

In WM6.5 emails are horrific - any more or less formatter email, like a newsletter, will load 6-10 seconds, then lag like a dead donkey and will only display a small portion of the email. I still wonder how MS's email viewer even passed QC.
19th March 2010, 08:49 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

1,779 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar

Cool, thanks for correcting me. I'm quite clueless as to how you genius developers make Android run on a WinMo device...

Yeah I do have xdandroid on my tilt2. It's sluggish and not fast enough for 100% use, although I agree that it's amazing how they managed to make it work so well on a device it was never even intended for.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread