Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,594 Members 39,326 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Windshield mount for CDMA Hero (lots of pics)

Tip us?

djjenso0n
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default great idea

ordered them up look twoards the completion of my project
thanks for the idea

akijikan
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Hrm, this is almost great but I'd have to take it out of the otterbox every time I got in the car and put it back in when ever I get out

thematrixkid17
Old
(Last edited by thematrixkid17; 19th March 2010 at 10:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by akijikan View Post
Hrm, this is almost great but I'd have to take it out of the otterbox every time I got in the car and put it back in when ever I get out
There are belt clip holsters for the Otter Box too. You could do the same thing.

Edit: Wait, maybe I'm wrong... There's one for the seidio case, but maybe not the otter box.
Qualcomm QCP-1960 -> Sanyo PM-8200 -> LG LX550 -> Samsung Rant -> HTC Touch Pro -> HTC Hero -> Samsung Epic 4G -> HTC Evo 3D

chococrazy
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by akijikan View Post
I had an idea of getting one that slides in. Instead of the ball you push in. That you can get a belt clip that slides in, and a suction cup that slides in also.

SamXp
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Just built one of these. Works great! No more awful, bulky, clamp-on windshield mount.

cooolone2
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Really cool stuff, gotta make one. Thanks for the inspiration and info.!

rufflez2010
Old
(Last edited by rufflez2010; 1st April 2010 at 04:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 22
Got the belt clip in the mail today, fits great! just need the GPS mount and ill have pics 5 min. later

Stage 1 complete. Still haven't received the GPS mount
Here's a pic of the progress. I just used a nail file and got good results. Took like 10 minutes after getting a good piece of the plastic off with wire cutters.

So far, so good

bubi73
Old
(Last edited by bubi73; 20th April 2010 at 05:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Finished product which only took 20 minutes start to finish. Not shown is the band aid I needed on my left thumb for cutting myself!

ro_bro
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by poor_red_neck View Post
Well..... I think driving is one of those things where you need to focus on REALITY not an augmented reality.

I'm using a air vent mount for my hero, as my car's windshield is too deep (Volvo S80)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arkon-SM32...Mount/13045680

Works fantasticly, and what I love is that it rotates 90 degrees so when using google maps/nav I can have it widescreen.

The version i purchased in the store looks a bit different, but it is very adjustable so that the USB power cord can still be plugged in, and its the first universal mount I've ever used that holds the phone securely that doesn't mess with the volume buttons.
I use something like that, except it has a window mount. but i don't like it b/c it rattles. (the side arms that hold the phone). I'm going to try this custom mount today. Got all the parts as of yesterday.
Phone: Nexus 5 on T-Mobile
ROM: Purity ROM
Recovery: TWRP

ro_bro
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
OK, took 30 mins last night and finished this project! Like user bubi73, I inverted the back clip so that the camera can see through the mount. (different than the OP's pic).

some lessons learned:
1. I accidentally put the epoxy on the 'bridge' area that goes right below the hole. that area is over a whole and won't stick on anything. oops. I had to put black electrical tape there on the inside to make sure that the sticky epoxy stuff won't be an issue. I hope it dries up fully soon.
2. I think instead of epoxy, crazy glue can work. epoxy seems unnecessarily messy, even through it's really strong. I might try another one to test.
3. When drilling to take off the belt clip of the holster, it's a good idea to drill and lean the bit to the sides to weaken that center and allow for easy removal. Don't drill down into the holster.
Phone: Nexus 5 on T-Mobile
ROM: Purity ROM
Recovery: TWRP