Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,531 Members 51,137 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WP7s on HD2 - Is it possible?

Tip us?

Hamburg
Old
(Last edited by Hamburg; 20th March 2010 at 06:26 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default WP7s on HD2 - Is it possible?

So I'm wondering what the concensus is. Are we going to see this or not?

The official word is obviously that there will be no upgrade for the HD2, but people seem to have hope in the community here. I'm not much of a dev/hacker to know for sure, so I'm wondering what you guys think...

The issues I'm hearing are:
  • Hardware buttons
  • GPU
  • On-board storage
  • Upscalling

The hardware buttons are obviously a non-issue. And from what MS is saying, despite not being able to swap out memory cards, SD storage can be used by OEMs to supplement on-board storage. But I dont know about the GPU and upscaling. Are these built in to the HD2 already? Is the upscaling a hardware or software issue? Are these things a deal breaker??
Lumia 920 (Rogers Version on T-mobile US)

Bababooey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This would be most excellent if so,I just picked up a HD2 last night and even though I am back to edge speed ( which is not a real issue for me,lots of wifi around.) I LOVE THIS PHONE !!!

Man this thing is making me giggle like a school girl.....
Galaxy Note II - T-mobile

mudrock1000
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I don't see anyone NOT putting it on there, especially when it hits America (If it hasn't already that is)

HOWEVER, i highly doubt you will want to use it. THey are going the iphone route. NO more File explorer and open source and multi tasking. All the things that made WinMO popular are apparently disappearing.
Disappoints me really. I jumped on the Android train. My first PDA was a dell X50

pgiuoco
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bababooey View Post
This would be most excellent if so,I just picked up a HD2 last night and even though I am back to edge speed ( which is not a real issue for me,lots of wifi around.) I LOVE THIS PHONE !!!

Man this thing is making me giggle like a school girl.....
just wondering, why didn't you wait till the 24th to get the one from T-Mobile so you'd have 3g?
(now) Nexus One not rooted (To root or not to root...)
----------------------------------
(old) Black G1 --- Cyan4.2.14.1/v1.3 KiNgxKxKlair Eclair Hero 2.1
(old) T-Mobile Wing --- Open Touch v7.6 lite
----------------------------------

coyote711
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiuoco View Post
just wondering, why didn't you wait till the 24th to get the one from T-Mobile so you'd have 3g?
that's what im doing, 4 more days! cannot wait to get my hands on this beast!

saints5354
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Default All because of $$ !!

M$ want more developer to developes more app and game for WP7S, in order to do that, u need to convince developer that they can make $$ for the app. Currently it is to easy to get craXXk app for WinMo.

M$ learnt the good idea for iPhone by locked down the system so u can only purchase from App Store. By doing these, M$ will stand good chances to complete will iPhone (Gen 4) in the future.

My only wish is : Hopefully M$ don't be hash on XDA, cos i believe XDA will make something interesting from WP7S for HD2 ... i believe.

Hamburg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Althought I'm glad others are showing interest, I was hoping to make this a technical discussion around the facts of whether it can or cannot happen. And maybe at this point the answer is "we dont know." But hopefully we'll get more answers in time...
Lumia 920 (Rogers Version on T-mobile US)

cp_kirkley
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
I think the question is not whether or not the HD2 will receive the upgrade to 7. Officially or unofficially, I think its just a matter of time. May not be as soon as youd like, but I't will get there. Its more a question of how relevant the HD2 will be be the time win7 is made available to it. Also, will there be able to be some kind of dual boot option available. The way 7 is shaping up, I'm not too enthused about only having 7. I would use 7 for gaming, social use, and winMo 6.5 when I'm looking to get my hands dirty.
White Xperia Z Ultra 6802/Nvidia Shield

i5 3570k/16GB DDR3 1833/Z77X-UP4 TH/GTX 680 4GB/256GB Crucial M4
27"1440p

Previous Devices
iPaq 6315/Wizard/Apache/Vogue/Titan/Kaiser/iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS/Leo T9193/X10a/iPhone 4/Focus/Captivate/Inspire/Xperia Play/SGS 2/Note N7000/HOX/Note 2/Note 8/GS4

imfloflo
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 800

DONATE TO ME
Is it a Tomtom icon we can see? is the old version or is tomtom already developpe a new one in Sylverlight?
Nexus 5 (CM11 Euroskank)
XDA-developers Senior Moderator - Twitter.com ImFloFlo

chansthename
Old
Thanks Meter 5
AFAIK that image is simply a skin over the top of WM6.5 rather than WM7s, so it is a current tomtom app

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe