Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,490 Members 50,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows Phone 7 - Introduction to the .xap (replaces .cab)

Tip us?

Da_G
Old
(Last edited by Da_G; 21st March 2010 at 10:59 PM.) Reason: typos, .xab -> .xap
Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1515

DONATE TO ME
Default Windows Phone 7 - Introduction to the .xap (replaces .cab)

So, with WP7, we lose all support for the .cab and associated API as it exists now. Replacing it is the .xab format.

What's a .xap?

A .xap is a simple, every day .zip file, renamed to .xap. Inside, it contains the app and all relevant dependencies. There are a number of possible .xml files that could be included inside the .xap to determine things like required security access level, to tell the system which .dll contains the main() for the application, etc.

I believe the .zip also provides a container for the virtual filesystem available to the app (not sure on that, it may be stored in a separate container, have to analyze more)

At least initially, .xaps will only be available for deployment through the Marketplace.

Regarding preloaded applications by OEM/MO: Requirements are much more strict in this regard now due to frequent end-user complaints about "slow, laggy, etc" Stock ROMs. I know every one of you reading this knows what I mean Preloaded App Requirements (which will be distributed as .xap) as follows:
  • Maximum of 6 preloaded applications on the device, not to exceed 60MB
  • All preloaded apps must pass Marketplace submission process (some extended APIs are available to OEM/MO so the process is slightly relaxed in that regard)
  • The application(s) and all future updates must be free of charge.
  • The apps must launch without dependency on network availability.
  • The apps must persist through a "hard reset".
  • The apps must be updatable and revocable (!!!!) through the Marketplace.
  • The apps must notify the user at first launch of any capabilities to be utilized and get user consent (to access compass, accelerometer, network, etc.)
I've attached a .xap to this post for your examination. It's renamed to .zip for the attachment system to allow it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Convert.zip - [Click for QR Code] (56.2 KB, 3476 views)
Support my work! The more phones I can get my hands on the more ROM goodness I can churn out. Like BUTTAH

NRGZ28
Old
Retired Senior Mod & Senior RD - (old) King of WinMo
Thanks Meter 10007
Hehe.. this reminds of the "widgets" for Vista and 7 or the "apk"s for Android. Same stuff it sounds like Thanks for the info master Da_G
.. - Energy ROM Chef -..

Click below for ROM threads

(OneX, OneS, Amaze, Sensation, HD2, EVO 4G, Inspire 4G, Vision, Incredible 2, Desire HD, MyTouch4G)
(Asus Transformer TF101 / TF201 / TF300 )
(Kindle Fire ROM)
(Motorola Razr M)

l3v5y
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
Does this mean .cab.pkgs are being changed too?

Da_G
Old
Thanks Meter 1515

DONATE TO ME
The .cab.pkg format remains intact for imageupdate (actually I haven't examined it in depth just yet, but all indications are that they have not changed .cab.pkg format)
Support my work! The more phones I can get my hands on the more ROM goodness I can churn out. Like BUTTAH

Da_G
Old
Thanks Meter 1515

DONATE TO ME
Bump for visibility

DavidinCT
Old
Thanks Meter 150

DONATE TO ME
Interesting...Wonder if there will be a process to convert some cabs to xabs.

msanda_77
Old
(Last edited by msanda_77; 21st April 2010 at 11:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Highly unlikely. xab's are silverlight applications meaning you have to use xaml , c# code and libabries all in one small zipped file. Cab's are Cabinent files that has an inf file that specifes what libabries and files are going to be enclosed in the file. To put it simply a xab is a standalone application that does not require extraction or installation to run and a cab is an application which requires an extraction and for its contents to be placed in specific areas in order for the dependents to find and use them.

Also to clarify. Local storage for xab's are not defined or stored in the xab file. they are defined by the silverlight runtimes which is handled by the os. As of now since there is little information as to how the windows phone internal structure is (apart from us knowing that windows phone will utilised microsoft unified storage.). on windows 7 and windws vista after u install the silverliht runtimes all xab's that request local storage is stored in <SYSTEMDRIVE>\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Micros oft\Silverlight\is .. Just note silverlight local storage works just like flash local storage. the only exception so far for windows phone is that u will not be able to access a lot of local directories just predefined stuff like music, pictures and documents.

flashpanda
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just before people get into bad habits; they are xap, not xab files. No relationship to cabs whatsoever save as a container format.

gguruusa
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_G View Post
Regarding preloaded applications by OEM/MO: Requirements are much more strict in this regard now due to frequent end-user complaints about "slow, laggy, etc" Stock ROMs. I know every one of you reading this knows what I mean Preloaded App Requirements (which will be distributed as .xap) as follows:
[*]Maximum of 6 preloaded applications on the device, not to exceed 60MB
That is just brain damaged. Pre-loaded apps add clutter, but they also cut down on cost. Choose your poison. Pre-loading has little to do with with speed penalties, when done properly. Frankly, if roms have the same ancient architecture under WM7, then Microsoft really needs some technical leadership replaced.
Quote:
[*]All preloaded apps must pass Marketplace submission process (some extended APIs are available to OEM/MO so the process is slightly relaxed in that regard)
Now this is where some quality review comes in. It all depends on how good the standards are, and I dare say they will seem lower and lower as time passes. Hell, they're already admitting that OEMs will have relaxed standards.
Quote:
[*]The application(s) and all future updates must be free of charge.
That's just silly. You'll get a bunch of lite software versions with next to zero shelf life instead of upgradable versions with marginal shelf life.
Quote:
[*]The apps must launch without dependency on network availability.
what does this even mean? Does that mean no internet based app can be installed? All it really means is you have to quit gracefully if the network isn't available.
Quote:
[*]The apps must persist through a "hard reset".
This is a good thing, but primarily a reflection of back when flash memory was in short supply. Haven't run into it in forever.
Quote:
[*]The apps must be updatable and revocable (!!!!) through the Marketplace.
Well, updateable is good...but revocable? Maybe removable would be more consumer friendly. Makes me think of the PS3.
Quote:
[*]The apps must notify the user at first launch of any capabilities to be utilized and get user consent (to access compass, accelerometer, network, etc.)
What I take from all of this is that
a) they want to drive more traffic through the marketplace.
b) they want to drive more traffic through Windows Certification

Good for the average consumer, great for Microsoft. Personally, the only point that has any value to me at all is a central marketplace. The rest of the bullets are ways for Microsoft to drive seperation between their brand name and many software vendor's crappy products.

abumhmmd1
Old
Thanks Meter 204

DONATE TO ME
ahhhha , sound interesting .

Tags
xap