Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,594 Members 39,212 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows Phone 7 - ROM Deployment and how it will affect us

Tip us?

Da_G
Old
(Last edited by Noonski; 15th May 2010 at 03:19 AM.)
Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1,518

DONATE TO ME
Windows Phone 7 has standardized the bootloader requirements for OEMs. No longer will an OEM be allowed to implement it's own design for ROM deployment (such as HTC with the .nbh/RUU system, .dz/LGMDP with LG, etc.)

The image format will be B000FF/.bin, which receives only minor changes from CE5, and so our current tools should work fine with this. The major change is in the way the bootloader handles image deployment. For Samsung and a handful of other manufacturers, this won't change too much, as they already utilize the B000FF system for deployment. The filesystem inside will be IMGFS - no longer will BinFS be used for NK/XIP section (now IMGFS will all partitions on device, NK and OS just being split by package rather than a seperate FS)

The physical flash layout will look as follows:
  • Reserved Regions, updateable only through a special oem-written driver to allow access to this area (size varies)
  • Partition Table (1KB)
  • BLDR (1MB)
  • DBSP (Device Boot State Partition, 256KB)
  • DPP (Device Provisioning Partition, 256KB)
  • USP (Update State Partition, 2MB)
  • ULDR1 (>=6MB)
  • ULDR2 (>=6MB)
  • NK (IMGFS, >=4.5MB) - At least 1MB free space for updates
  • OS (IMGFS, >=181MB) - At least 20% free space for updates
  • User Store (TexFAT)

Only the User Store (Which uses new Transaction-Safe ExFAT filesystem) will be user-writeable, all other areas will only be writable during an update operation. The Partition Table, DBSP, DPP, USP, and User Store are all not updateable during an update operation, only during a full-flash scenario. B00FF images are signed and checksummed, and passed through to the bootloader via ethernet over usb. The connection will most likely be encrypted, using the same flashing utility as Zune HD. (This is currently used to deploy images to the DevKits)

.ffu (Full Flash Update) file format (XML) will be used to pass information to the Zune software on which partitions are to be updated, etc. FFUs are signed just as .cabs are signed and only an .ffu which passes validation against the certificates on-device will be allowed to update a device.

Updates can also be done on a per-package basis, using the ImageUpdate process, which I have described in length @ the XDA WinMo Software Development forum. This process is largely unchanged from WinMo 6.x with the addition of a policy xml file containing security policy settings related to the .cab.pkg being deployed.

As such, I would recommend anyone interested in cracking the bootloader and creating a "HardSPL" take a good hard look at the Zune HD.

Similar to CE5/WinMo 6.x, There is a BLDR (Base Boot Loader) which makes the initial determination to boot up to the ULDR or to the WP7 OS. The OEM implements alternate boot parameters to trigger this and/or a button press combination. If ULDR is triggered, it checks the battery and power source to ensure that there is enough life remaining to successfully complete the flash, then awaits the flash download. There are redundant ULDR partitions (ULDR1/ULDR2) to facilitate failsafe recovery in the event of a failed ULDR flash (ULDR provides a basic level of functionality to enable a recovery flash even in the event of power failure during a flash)

MSFT is pushing it's Phone Update service much harder this time - it is intended to be used as the primary method for distributing phone updates. These can be deployed both over-the-air and through a USB connection with the Zune software.
Support my work! The more phones I can get my hands on the more ROM goodness I can churn out. Like BUTTAH

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Da_G For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

af974
Old
Retired Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,886
subscribe to this......need to learn before my next device.
“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” ~ Albert Einstein

RustyGrom
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Thanks. I didn't see these threads before. Any chance you could share or point to the docs this info came from? It seems tweakers.net acquired it and I wouldn't mind looking through.

mord4z
Old
Thanks Meter 2
saved for future use! Da_G is the master of the roms!
Treo Pro new | Macbook white @2.0Ghz 4Gb RAM | My Treo ROM 6.5 build

And, if you like my roms, supports my work (And help me to pay my new motorcycle! lol)! I'll be happy!

hdubli
Old
Thanks Meter 11
As Usual Da_G you are cool..
Just too many devices, can"t list them here now
twitter : http://twitter.com/hdubli

Tribulattifather
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,834

DONATE TO ME
Will you make this thread a Sticky for us? Thanks again G.
My Mega File Host - HTC One Mini (M4) Working Folder.
My Android File Host - Evo 3D Cdma (SHOOTER)Working Folder Mirror 2.
My Google Drive - HD2 Android (LEO)Working Folder.
My Dev Host - Droid Inc (INC)Working Folder.

tripknotix
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_g View Post
bump for visibility
bump! Bump! Bump!
Check out the 3D Flash Multiplayer game I'm developing, 3D Future Ops www.realdefinition.net

jagan2
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 174

DONATE TO ME
Da_G you always rock, now we got a huge info.

kwanice
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thanks for your infos
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HD7 - 2012-11-24 : Dynamics v2.0 - Newer WP7.8 and much more Rom - Xda Power!

jdep1
Old
Thanks Meter 15
that is some good news eventually have custom ROMs on wp7
RIP: 3 Heralds P4350, Rhodium, 2 Hd2 on Android/WP7, Sensation 4G, Lumia 710 Current device: Samsung Focus S