Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 48,946 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No Firefox for Windows Mobile 7

Tip us?

constructorx
Old
(Last edited by constructorx; 23rd March 2010 at 04:30 PM.) Reason: Removed M$ and replaced with the correct company name of Microsoft due to some people finding it silly. lol
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default No Firefox for Windows Mobile 7

Another damning indictment of Microsoft, there will be no Firefox for WP7S.

Will other software companies follow?
Will Microsoft face another court battle for effectively locking out software developers and forcing them into a managed code playground?

The Vole announced the Windows Phone 7 Series at last month's World Mobile Congress and it represents the last chance for Microsoft to make an impact on the mobile phone market. Microsoft took a clean slate approach to the operating system that resulted in thousands of pre-existing applications becoming incompatible. To hinder matters further, its development policies aren't all that conducive for would-be developers.

This has led Stuart Parmenter, head honcho of mobile software development at Mozilla to announce that the developer of the popular open source browser Firefox has stopped working on porting the browser to all Windows Mobile operating systems, including the upcoming Windows Phone 7 Series.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...windows-mobile

vangrieg
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructorx View Post
Another damning indictment of M$, there will be no Firefox for WP7S.
Mozilla Foundatioin (or is it Corporation now?) has been unable to make a decent mobile browser for years despite all attempts. So while it is true that MS is efficiently banning 3rd party browsers by not allowing native coding, MoFo is the last organization to complain about it.

ramdroid77
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangrieg View Post
Mozilla Foundatioin (or is it Corporation now?) has been unable to make a decent mobile browser for years despite all attempts. So while it is true that MS is efficiently banning 3rd party browsers by not allowing native coding, MoFo is the last organization to complain about it.
That's exactly what I thought as well. If only then Opera can complain about anything.... I guess they had put quite some efforts into their release for WM!

Logicalstep
Old
Thanks Meter 6
LOL, I was was reading 3 years ago that They were releasing a WM browser. Nothing has come of that, so why would people care.

The bigger picture is if MS start to loose Other large developers such as Opera, they have already lost Skype. If MS don;t reach a decent number of end users, these big companies won't bother developing anything for WinPhoS.

logicalstep

vangrieg
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Opera isn't a large company by any measure, and most of its revenues come from mobile devices (although I suspect that it's mostly Mini). So WP7 will hit their income rather seriously unless the situation with native APIs changes. Opera Mobile on the iPhone isn't possible due to Appstore rules (no code interpretation for apps), so Android and Symbian are the only platforms where they can be present ATM (yeah, there's this Maemo and stuff, but it doesn't count).

krjcook
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I think it's funny when everyone types M$. Do you guys think it's cool or something? What are you trying to prove?

vangrieg
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by krjcook View Post
I think it's funny when everyone types M$.
You probably meant "silly".

elyl
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
I doubt "M$" will face a court battle for monopolising the browser on mobile phones. Apple has not faced any charges, and they are much closer to a monopoly on smartphones that WP7S will ever be for the near future.

Microsoft faced anti-competition laws because they had the monopoly on desktop operating systems, and were bundling their own browser with it. They have nowhere near a monopoly on smartphones, and it's likely they never will.

mazzarin
Old
Thanks Meter 2
LOL @ damning indictment because no FF on a phone.

Get real! FF is not the be-all end-all, ESPECIALLY on mobile phones.

Cipher
Old
(Last edited by Cipher; 23rd March 2010 at 08:29 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangrieg View Post
Opera isn't a large company by any measure, and most of its revenues come from mobile devices (although I suspect that it's mostly Mini). So WP7 will hit their income rather seriously unless the situation with native APIs changes. Opera Mobile on the iPhone isn't possible due to Appstore rules (no code interpretation for apps), so Android and Symbian are the only platforms where they can be present ATM (yeah, there's this Maemo and stuff, but it doesn't count).
Opera won't have any problems developing a browser for WP7S. Since their technology of downloading screenshots from their servers (they call it Turbo) is nothing that needs direct API calls - they showed it already by using Java earlier.
Now, they just ported it to native code with Opera Mini 5 - but it will also be possible to port it to Silverlight if it worked in Java.

So, Firefox isn't big of a loss, but the reasons in fact are. Not everything will be possible with Silverlight/XNA. And sooner or later some big business client will come up to MS and ask for a NDK....