Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 40,521 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why the HTC Evo 4G is so much better than Desire?

Tip us?

dudeldei
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDA mark View Post
5. I don't know about that. It looks kind of big, and it is not as 'curved' as the Desire. IMO they both look just as nice, but they both have different styles.
I totally agree on this! The Evo looks way more like a brick and the finish looks a bit more 'plastic-like'.

I'm also a fan of some hardware buttons,such as the Desire has implemented, so I'm still happy with my preorder of the Desire

(and the 4.3 inch screen would have ruined the looks of my tight jeans)

jonneymendoza
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJoYee View Post
Has HTC ever release a superphone at the end of the year?
yea the HD2 last year October/november

silverkiller
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm surprised everyone is saying 4.3" is too large. I think smart phones are headed to the larger direction, Dell's android tablet with phone capabilities seemed like one of the first steps. (I forget its exact screen specs, but its way larger than an HD2/Evo)

But for me, the HD2 is the perfect phone, I just can't be tied down to WinMo any longer, it simply frustrates me. I kept waiting for them to release a version with android, and while the Desire looks fine (though I think the N1 may be better if only for guaranteed updates), I still miss that larger screen.

I guess its a preference, but the EVO is my perfect phone, just with the wrong radio bands .

But is 4.3 really too large? I still find web browsing on smart phones limited with the screens, i feel like it requires a lot of scrolling. And if you're saying 4.3 phones cant fit in skinny jeans, get a purse to go with you jeans and put them in there.
-Just cuz you pour syrup on it dont make it pancakes.

dudeldei
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkiller View Post
But is 4.3 really too large? I still find web browsing on smart phones limited with the screens, i feel like it requires a lot of scrolling. And if you're saying 4.3 phones cant fit in skinny jeans, get a purse to go with you jeans and put them in there.
I think the Dell has a 5" screen.

The thing is, I'm looking for a PHONE, with capability to easily browse the net, play games run cool apps etc...

If you're looking for a 'browsing-multimedia-device' with phone capabilities, then you might like a tablet instead?

wankingweiner
Old
Thanks Meter 0
everyone here making it seem the EVO is too big i think is exaggerating slightly. The screen is way bigger yes, but the screen practically takes up the whole front of the phone, unlike the desire which has plenty on nonscreen on the front, around the phone.

Also i find the 720p video recording a major plus, and although i dont care much for 4G and the front facing camera, i would still chose the EVO over the Desire any day.

Im hoping for a European release of a similar phone. I know HTC wont release the same one because of 4G, but knowing how HTC like to mix and match a lot, they might bring out a 4.3" android phone with 720p recording by the end of the year. Im hoping at least because i called off my Desire pre-order and am willing to wait for info.

XDA mark
Old
Thanks Meter 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkiller View Post
My no means do I think 4.3 inch is TOO large. Off course I enjoy browsing on my HD2, watching YouTube, etc. But what I mean is: is 3.7 inch all that different? I don't think that it is, and you will still get almost the same experience as on the 4.3 inch screen. To add to that, because the screen is a 0.6 inch smaller, the entire phone also because more 'pocket-able'. That is something great in my eyes, because while the HD2 fits easily in my pocket (it is thin), it is pretty heavy. Also 'just using' the phone for something quickly will be sometimes hard on the HD2. I almost never use my HD2 with one hand while I am moving, because I am afraid I will drop it (no good grip).

But yeah, the screen sizes will keep growing and growing. Now it is between 3.3-4.3 inch, and I expect that to become 3.7-5.0 in the next years. Maybe the large screens will actually be USEFUL in the future, because now for example Android 2.1 looks perfect on a 3.7 inch screen.
HTC ONE (M7) 32GB
ROM: ARHD v31 (4.3)

Galaxy S3 16GB + 32GB sdcard
ROM: ARHD v40 (4.3)

My theme's
Black Ops 2 theme
WP8 Metro theme
Mac OS theme
Other theme's including Assassin's Creed 3, Final Fantasy 7/8 & Metal Gear Solid

History: HTC HD2 -> HTC Desire -> Samsung Galaxy S II, Galaxy S III, HTC One.

wankingweiner
Old
Thanks Meter 0

if the desire is pocketable, then the EVO isnt far off in my opinion.

redrazr7791
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankingweiner View Post

Both of them are nice. Funny thing is...I remember Android first came out. Sprint's CEO said that they wouldn't jump on the band wagon ANYTIME soon. Flash forward a year and BAM...they roll out the best handset availalbe

farnsbarns
Old
Thanks Meter 286
Remember that all these phones have the same resolution so, in reallity, a smaller screen means smaller pixels and lower dot pitch so it will seem more detailed and sharper. It's like HDTV, now we all have our 42"+ tv's and everyone is getting excited about HD, all it has really done is brought us back to the definition of 20 yr old 14-20 inch TV's. Actually definition is the wrong word for this reason, that's marketing for you! They should be called hi-res TV's.

Of course I sit a lot further from my TV than I do from my phone so taking perspective into account the pixels seem about the same size but at the same time, take your Desire and hold it 10% closer to your eyes (1inch?) and it works out exactly the same effect as the HD2 etc etc.

While all these devices have a *resolution* of 800x480, a 3.7 in screen @ 800x480 is higher *definition* than a 4.3 inch screen @ 800x480.

The point I am trying to put over is that a small difference in screen size makes no difference at the same resolution in the real world, it's all about bigger numbers in technology equaling higher sales numbers! Give me a bigger number for RAM, Processor speed, data speed etc etc, even resolution, but I am not that fussed about small differences in screen size.

Another thing that I thought about recently is that, on the other hand, if they can now get 800 horizontal pixels on a 3.7 inch screen (about 2.8 inches wide horizontaly) how high will the resolution on my 42" telly be in 5 years, If they cram as many pixels into the same space it scales up to about 8000+ horizontal pixels! Just give them time to cram that much data into the signal and were off!

K 7
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankingweiner View Post

I think overall size of EVO 4G & Desire does not have a HUGE difference, I mean I have HD2 at the mo & I like the size, 4.3 looks good. EVO 4G have less space around screen but Desire have more space left around screen, so 2 me 4G is not 2 big, it's great.

If we had Desire with same specs but with 4.3" screen, I think most of us would have been more happy with that too (caz we would not then have 3.7" Desire 2 compare with, so we would have taken that size as perfect) I think few of you will agree here.

K7