Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,363 Members 43,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How-To] Better battery life, reduce Time Without Signal.

Tip us?

abcdfv
Old
(Last edited by abcdfv; 26th June 2010 at 11:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [How-To] Better battery life, reduce Time Without Signal.

Alright, I don't remember who it was, but first off, I would like to thank the person that figured out how to check the radio mode.

UPDATE: You need to do this with the current IRC FroYo build as well.

First things first, I have personally tested this with DamageControl 1.0, with Flipz's .03 radio, and found it increased my battery life by 30-40%. I am using the stock 1500mAh battery. Please note that the option to change the preferred network type is not available in 1.5 ROMs, as 1.5 is GSM only. (HTC hacked in CDMA support)

NOTE: when you first open the testing menu, it will show it as CDMA auto (prl). This is a visual glitch, in reality, it is set to GSM auto (prl). If your TWS is around 50%, it means it's GSM auto (prl)

First things first, go into Settings> About Phone> Battery> Battery Use> Cell Standby. Assuming your phone has been on, or off the charger for ~10 minutes, it should show Time Without Signal at around 50%.

Next thing, press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

Now your done, your TWS should drop dramatically, and you should experience much better battery life!

Note: You need to do this every time you reboot.
:[
The Following User Says Thank You to abcdfv For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KBizzle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,189
Confirmed. I did this a week ago. Even after a couple reboots, the setting sticks. I didnt see a huge increase but that is probably me.

Coldheat1906
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Just followed your instructions but mine was already set to CDMA auto (PRL).

Thanks for the info though, I'll make sure to remind my friends to check theirs.

abcdfv
Old
(Last edited by abcdfv; 24th March 2010 at 09:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbizzle View Post
Confirmed. I did this a week ago. Even after a couple reboots, the setting sticks. I didnt see a huge increase but that is probably me.
It doesn't actually stick. It's a visual glitch, the setting itself is still GSM auto (prl), but it displays CDMA auto (prl). First post updated to be more specific.

watzone69
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Thanks for this! I had tried the airplane mode toggle method before but it didn't work. Looks like this fix is holding.

Now, if only there was a way to make this survive (or at least start up after) a reboot.

abcdfv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by watzone69 View Post
Thanks for this! I had tried the airplane mode toggle method before but it didn't work. Looks like this fix is holding.

Now, if only there was a way to make this survive (or at least start up after) a reboot.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable then I will make a script that runs at bootup to automagically change it,

5tr4t4
Old
Thanks Meter 1
As has been noted elsewhere, the application "Network" from the market also provides quick access to this setting.

abcdfv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tr4t4 View Post
As has been noted elsewhere, the application "Network" from the market also provides quick access to this setting.
This is XDA. Let's do it the old fashioned way!

thedudejdog
Old
Thanks Meter 264

DONATE TO ME
wow this really works.. thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by decalex View Post
lol good thing ICS is not dependent on you for testing

sph33r
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Should I assume I don't have this problem if I have no TWS showing in the battery usage?