Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[How-To] Better battery life, reduce Time Without Signal.

OP abcdfv

24th March 2010, 10:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wilmington, NC
Thanks Meter: 2

1,232 posts
More
Alright, I don't remember who it was, but first off, I would like to thank the person that figured out how to check the radio mode.

UPDATE: You need to do this with the current IRC FroYo build as well.

First things first, I have personally tested this with DamageControl 1.0, with Flipz's .03 radio, and found it increased my battery life by 30-40%. I am using the stock 1500mAh battery. Please note that the option to change the preferred network type is not available in 1.5 ROMs, as 1.5 is GSM only. (HTC hacked in CDMA support)

NOTE: when you first open the testing menu, it will show it as CDMA auto (prl). This is a visual glitch, in reality, it is set to GSM auto (prl). If your TWS is around 50%, it means it's GSM auto (prl)

First things first, go into Settings> About Phone> Battery> Battery Use> Cell Standby. Assuming your phone has been on, or off the charger for ~10 minutes, it should show Time Without Signal at around 50%.

Next thing, press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

Now your done, your TWS should drop dramatically, and you should experience much better battery life!

Note: You need to do this every time you reboot.
Last edited by abcdfv; 27th June 2010 at 12:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to abcdfv For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2010, 10:45 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Knoxville
Thanks Meter: 4,203

4,111 posts
More
Confirmed. I did this a week ago. Even after a couple reboots, the setting sticks. I didnt see a huge increase but that is probably me.
24th March 2010, 10:47 PM   |  #3  
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 56

866 posts
Just followed your instructions but mine was already set to CDMA auto (PRL).

Thanks for the info though, I'll make sure to remind my friends to check theirs.
24th March 2010, 10:47 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wilmington, NC

1,232 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbizzle

Confirmed. I did this a week ago. Even after a couple reboots, the setting sticks. I didnt see a huge increase but that is probably me.

It doesn't actually stick. It's a visual glitch, the setting itself is still GSM auto (prl), but it displays CDMA auto (prl). First post updated to be more specific.
Last edited by abcdfv; 24th March 2010 at 10:49 PM.
24th March 2010, 10:52 PM   |  #5  
Flag Austin, Texas
Thanks Meter: 34

1,002 posts
Thanks for this! I had tried the airplane mode toggle method before but it didn't work. Looks like this fix is holding.

Now, if only there was a way to make this survive (or at least start up after) a reboot.
24th March 2010, 10:54 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wilmington, NC

1,232 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by watzone69

Thanks for this! I had tried the airplane mode toggle method before but it didn't work. Looks like this fix is holding.

Now, if only there was a way to make this survive (or at least start up after) a reboot.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable then I will make a script that runs at bootup to automagically change it,
24th March 2010, 10:59 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

121 posts
As has been noted elsewhere, the application "Network" from the market also provides quick access to this setting.
24th March 2010, 11:01 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wilmington, NC

1,232 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tr4t4

As has been noted elsewhere, the application "Network" from the market also provides quick access to this setting.

This is XDA. Let's do it the old fashioned way!
24th March 2010, 11:06 PM   |  #9  
Flag Kansas City Mo
Thanks Meter: 264

1,968 posts
Donate to Me
More
wow this really works.. thanks!
24th March 2010, 11:14 PM   |  #10  
Flag Detroit, MI
Thanks Meter: 73

452 posts
More
Should I assume I don't have this problem if I have no TWS showing in the battery usage?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread