Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,240 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Speech to text

Tip us?

Renocat
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Speech to text

A friend with a moto droid running 2.1 has speech to text capabilities in any application. His keyboard has a microphone button on it.

I have read that the Eris 2.1 has this functionality too. I cannot find where to activate it if it does indeed have this.

And to be clear, i am not talking about text to speech, where the phone reads to you, I am talking about for instance, having google talk open and speaking your message and the phone converts it to text.

Anyone know if this is in 2.1? (I am rooted and running grdlocks 2.1 rom, btw)

d1g1talz0mb13
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was just talking about this to someone on another forum. As far as I've been able to find, Handcent has this capability and maybe a few other apps from the store. What I think we really need is the keyboard from either the Nexus One or the Droid to be ported over then we can see if it will work.

jadesdan
Old
Thanks Meter 7
There's an app called "Better Keyboard" that does speach to text in any text field. I liked to show it off, but it seemed a little too slow for contstant use.

Renocat
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
i have better keyboard and I don't see where it does speech to text. maybe I missed something? I checked all the settings too

gohamstergo
Old
Thanks Meter 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadesdan View Post
There's an app called "Better Keyboard" that does speach to text in any text field. I liked to show it off, but it seemed a little too slow for contstant use.
perhaps you mean "TalktoMe Keyboard"

as for me, ill be waiting/wishing/hoping for swype to release a new beta with a mic button included

rom116
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Default Better Keyboard app

I can confirm that the "Better keyboard" app does have speach to text feature
HTC One M8
Stock- Non Rooted
T-Mobile
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation

Renocat
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
i grabbed talktome keyboard. Doesn't seem bad. Will tide my over until the speech to text comes out in the official 2.1, hopefully

rom116
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Default Better Keyboard

I tried talktome keyboard too, better keyboard is much better and has speach to text
HTC One M8
Stock- Non Rooted
T-Mobile
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation