Desire gets the thumbs-up from Sydney Pub Crowd

28th March 2010, 11:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 93

357 posts
Donate to Me
More
David Richards from Smarthouse (Aussie tech review site) took the Desire to a pub in the Sydney suburb of Mosman.

Don't know how he got one so soon. The first official Aussie shipment will be to Tel$tra in late April.

Note that the pics show a Voice-to-Text button which confirms my suspicion that the unlocked handsets should ship with v2t enabled. http://news.smarthouse.com.au/images...4133605702.jpg

Full article here:
http://smarthouse.com.au/Reviews/Phones/S2T2D4C2
28th March 2010, 11:08 AM   |  #2  
Flag Muscat
Thanks Meter: 57

740 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmobile

David Richards from Smarthouse (Aussie tech review site) took the Desire to a pub in the Sydney suburb of Mosman.

Don't know how he got one so soon. The first official Aussie shipment will be to Tel$tra in late April.

Note that the pics show a Voice-to-Text button which confirms my suspicion that the unlocked handsets should ship with v2t enabled. http://news.smarthouse.com.au/images...4133605702.jpg

Full article here:
http://smarthouse.com.au/Reviews/Phones/S2T2D4C2

nice find ... cant wait till the unlocked version gets released, ... come on already!
28th March 2010, 11:17 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

357 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hell yeah. I almost joined the Apple cult a week ago but resisted the temptation. I don't know how much longer I can hold out
28th March 2010, 11:20 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

25 posts
Nice review. I initially thought the images might be standard stock pics, but one of them shows a Foxtel icon so I guess these are actual images taken by the reviewer after all. It doesn't make sense though that unlocked units would get V2T whilst locked wouldn't, why would this be?
28th March 2010, 11:24 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

357 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-C

Nice review. I initially thought the images might be standard stock pics, but one of them shows a Foxtel icon so I guess these are actual images taken by the reviewer after all. It doesn't make sense though that unlocked units would get V2T whilst locked wouldn't, why would this be?

People with the T-Mobile handsets which already shipped are saying its not there. Some of them shipped with pre-release firmware though so that might be the issue.

It is also rumoured that T-Mobiles final-relase firmware failed Google testing. It could be that they rolled back to an earlier version to get the units out the door.
28th March 2010, 12:34 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
More
Don't believe everything the review writes. David Richards has on occasion been known to plagiarise, and not do a bit of fact checking. If you read it closely, he mentions that it runs on a 1.5 Mhz Qualcomm. Last I recall, it was a 1Ghz machine, not 1.5 Mhz! Adding to that closer to the end he starts mentioning the HD2 and Desire as the "HDC HD2" and "HDC Desire"

abc-net-au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2178689.htm

That's a link to a TV show that scrutinised his actions.
28th March 2010, 12:50 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

357 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ah, good old Media Watch. Interesting he had pics including a foxtel icon though. Thats not to say they couldn't have come from Telstra.

I emailed him and he has promised to confirm once and for all whether the voice-to-text function is included. He prolly thinks Im working for Mediawatch

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
desire, review, v2t
Previous Thread Next Thread