[Skins] HTC_IME High/Low Res v27 custom skin generator online! Updated Sep. 7th!

Search This thread

gIMpSTa

Sep 8, 2009
Maine
The reason I've been slower at posting requests lately is about to come clear!

I have created an "online kitchen" of sorts for creating custom skinned, signed, HTC_IME high and low res apk files. This means you guys can very easily create your own skins and customize the ones I've created!

What is this?

A website you can visit on your computer or directly from your phone that will let you a> create a custom skinned keyboard based off of any of the images currently in the library (various colored keys, backgrounds, etc) with whatever text color you want and b> customize existing "skins" (will be known as "presets") however your heats desire.

Currently, it should be considered very beta. All the features that are here should be working 100%.

Why beta, that sounds scary?

It's beta for a couple of reasons, 1 because it's currently UGLY as sin (concentrated on features and back end first) and 2 because I'm actively working on it which means it could break at any time.

What is the point of this?

Besides the fact that you can now customize the hell out of the way your keyboard looks, it drastically reduces the amount of work I have to do in the future. Currently, i'm uploading 46 pre-themed apk files for every single update. While this isn't really a big deal since I automated the process, it slows down how quickly I can put up updates. With this new method, all I have to do is upload the original unthemed keyboard apk and classes.dex for each new version and my work is done!

Everything else:

If you select a preset, you will still be asked to choose each portion of the keyboard (background, buttons, text color etc). The image with the yellow border around it (you'll see what I mean) is the default "piece" for the preset.

One last thing, depending on server load it could take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes to generate the keyboard. Most of the time I suspect it will be < 1 minute tho.

I don't mind if you use this to generate a keyboard and include it with something (theme/morph) or post it somewhere, just give due credit :)

URL for HIGH RES online kitchen: now offline, sorry

URL for LOW RES online kitchen: now offline, sorry

Current feature list / changelog:
  • Start from a "preset" (any of my current themes) and change any component of it.
  • Choose any of my current backgrounds
  • Choose any of my current primary/function key styles
  • Choose any of my current "symbol sets"
  • Choose any of my current space bar logo/images
  • Upload your own spacebar logo
  • Choose any color text for letters and alternate characters
  • Built in bug reporting/feature requests (for new image sets, for example)
  • Choose any color for background image
  • Preview keyboard before generating it
  • Option to see/reuse all skins you have generated
  • Option to see/reuse last 25 skins anyone has generated
  • Choose any color for symbol sets
  • Added lowres kitchen
  • Added option to choose between 1.5 only and 1.6+ low res versions in low res kitchen.
  • Added v25 froyo version.
  • Added all v26 versions to kitchen!
  • Added all v27 versions to kitchen!
  • Added v27-froyo lowres version to kitchen!
  • New option: Create your own primary/function keys is FINALLY here!

Last edited:

gIMpSTa

Sep 8, 2009
Maine
Pre-themed/Pre-built skinned keyboards.

Custom skins for Jonasl's HTC_IME high res.

These are signed with the exact same certificate that jonasl uses so if you can install his, you can install these and go back and forth with no problem.

These are no longer flashable update.zip files, all you need to do is download the zip file, extract the HTC_IME_hi.apk to your sd card and install with a file manager (linda, or something that supports reinstalling for future installs).

Special note, if you have not already installed v22 or higher, I highly suggest you read Jonasl's thread here for important information regarding this keyboard. You will need to re-enable and completely reconfigure this keyboard after installing (only if you haven't already done v22+).

One last note, there is a new hi res Clicker.apk available too. I have not included it in these downloads, you will need to get that from the official HTC_IME Mod download if you haven't already! Update: or get it here -> Clicker_hi.zip

v24 links removed because v25 is now available in the kitchen, screenshots represent some of the many themes you can create there!

Last edited:

Eclair~

Dec 21, 2009
Oh thanks for this, I definetly don't like Metamorph - so this was a life saver. Well not really a life saver, more like a life enhancer lol..

trillonometry

Oct 6, 2008
I know this is an htc forum but is there any way you can throw an update.zip of v18 for us droid users? The candidate bar is broken on v19 for droid but it worked on 18... if you can do it would you make it the black with white text theme? This would be much appreciated! Keep up the great work!

gIMpSTa

Sep 8, 2009
Maine
I know this is an htc forum but is there any way you can throw an update.zip of v18 for us droid users? The candidate bar is broken on v19 for droid but it worked on 18... if you can do it would you make it the black with white text theme? This would be much appreciated! Keep up the great work!

Sure thing, I don't want to maintain to many old versions going forward, but this one is the most frequently downloaded one, and it sounds like Jonasl isn't going to get us a new version real soon (i could be mistaken tho).

I'll try to get it posted here in the next 30 mins or so.

trillonometry

Oct 6, 2008
Sure thing, I don't want to maintain to many old versions going forward, but this one is the most frequently downloaded one, and it sounds like Jonasl isn't going to get us a new version real soon (i could be mistaken tho).

I'll try to get it posted here in the next 30 mins or so.

Actually im a fool... with the candidate bar on v19 you can long press and dragit to the correct position so don't bother. I read This aafter I posted and gave it a try and voila. Seems like a lot of Droid users didn't read the entire OP like me. Thanks for the quick response. Hope I caught you before you wasted any time!

gIMpSTa

Sep 8, 2009
Maine
Actually im a fool... with the candidate bar on v19 you can long press and dragit to the correct position so don't bother. I read This aafter I posted and gave it a try and voila. Seems like a lot of Droid users didn't read the entire OP like me. Thanks for the quick response. Hope I caught you before you wasted any time!

Hahah I almost suggested you try that, but wasn't sure if this was different bug.

Glad you got it sorted, no time wasted here!

philsfan

Mar 10, 2010
I'm still having problems with installing the themes...I tried all 3 methods you posted, everything installed with no problems or errors...however, when I go to a text screen (sms, for example) I click on the input area and the keyboard just doesn't pop up at all, nothing. Any explanation for this? I don't understand why I can't get this to install properly. I'm convinced it has to do with my rom, jrummy's desire remix on koush's cyanogenmod

gIMpSTa

Sep 8, 2009
Maine
I'm still having problems with installing the themes...I tried all 3 methods you posted, everything installed with no problems or errors...however, when I go to a text screen (sms, for example) I click on the input area and the keyboard just doesn't pop up at all, nothing. Any explanation for this? I don't understand why I can't get this to install properly. I'm convinced it has to do with my rom, jrummy's desire remix on koush's cyanogenmod

It must. Have you been able to install the un-themed keyboard from Jonasl? If that is the case, I have absolutely no idea why these wouldn't work. They are identical to the APKs he produces just with my theme changes.

These themed versions work like a charm on stock N1.

I extracted the APK, installed with ASTRO. Just to be safe, I uninstalled previous version. :)

Attachments

• new_kb.jpg
    new_kb.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 782

gIMpSTa

Sep 8, 2009
Maine
These themed versions work like a charm on stock N1.

I extracted the APK, installed with ASTRO. Just to be safe, I uninstalled previous version. :)

Glad to hear!! I assumed they would, but had no way to test it (short of nanding and flashing back to an unrooted stock rom of course).

Thanks for letting me know!

marra2

Jun 7, 2008
york uk
just tried the htc ime apk on wifes stock n1 and no joy also tried installing the clicker apk too and still nothing !

marra2

Jun 7, 2008
york uk
I used option 3 with astro go to choose input method and it only gives me android keyboard option ? rebooted phone too just to make sure .

stlcity

Mar 2, 2010
Thanks bro for the update.zip. I had almost given up on flashing the penguins skin as I could not get MM to do it no matter what I tried. Anyway this method worked. Have the keyboard themed with penguins. :)

quick question: if I install a new ROM and wipe data prior to that will I have to apply this again? If so can I do this directly without installing the orginal HTC keyboard? Thanks again.

gIMpSTa

Sep 8, 2009
Maine
I used option 3 with astro go to choose input method and it only gives me android keyboard option ? rebooted phone too just to make sure .

I *think* either on stock firmware and/or first time you run it you have to actually enable it first. Try going to settings, language and keyboard, and see if you have touch input that you can either check mark to enable or go into for settings, then try to set it as your input type.

quick question: if I install a new ROM and wipe data prior to that will I have to apply this again? If so can I do this directly without installing the orginal HTC keyboard? Thanks again.

Yes you will have to apply it again, and yes you can go straight to my pre-themed keyboards (by flashing, pushing, installing, however you want!).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have created an "online kitchen" of sorts for creating custom skinned, signed, HTC_IME high and low res apk files. This means you guys can very easily create your own skins and customize the ones I've created!

What is this?

A website you can visit on your computer or directly from your phone that will let you a> create a custom skinned keyboard based off of any of the images currently in the library (various colored keys, backgrounds, etc) with whatever text color you want and b> customize existing "skins" (will be known as "presets") however your heats desire.

Currently, it should be considered very beta. All the features that are here should be working 100%.

It's beta for a couple of reasons, 1 because it's currently UGLY as sin (concentrated on features and back end first) and 2 because I'm actively working on it which means it could break at any time.

Besides the fact that you can now customize the hell out of the way your keyboard looks, it drastically reduces the amount of work I have to do in the future. Currently, i'm uploading 46 pre-themed apk files for every single update. While this isn't really a big deal since I automated the process, it slows down how quickly I can put up updates. With this new method, all I have to do is upload the original unthemed keyboard apk and classes.dex for each new version and my work is done!

Everything else:

If you select a preset, you will still be asked to choose each portion of the keyboard (background, buttons, text color etc). The image with the yellow border around it (you'll see what I mean) is the default "piece" for the preset.

One last thing, depending on server load it could take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes to generate the keyboard. Most of the time I suspect it will be < 1 minute tho.

I don't mind if you use this to generate a keyboard and include it with something (theme/morph) or post it somewhere, just give due credit :)

URL for HIGH RES online kitchen: now offline, sorry

URL for LOW RES online kitchen: now offline, sorry

Current feature list / changelog:
    • Start from a "preset" (any of my current themes) and change any component of it.
    • Added lowres kitchen
    • Added option to choose between 1.5 only and 1.6+ low res versions in low res kitchen.
    • Added v25 froyo version.
    • Added all v26 versions to kitchen!
    • Added all v27 versions to kitchen!
    • Added v27-froyo lowres version to kitchen!
    • New option: Create your own primary/function keys is FINALLY here!
    Pre-themed/Pre-built skinned keyboards.

Custom skins for Jonasl's HTC_IME high res.

These are signed with the exact same certificate that jonasl uses so if you can install his, you can install these and go back and forth with no problem.

These are no longer flashable update.zip files, all you need to do is download the zip file, extract the HTC_IME_hi.apk to your sd card and install with a file manager (linda, or something that supports reinstalling for future installs).

Special note, if you have not already installed v22 or higher, I highly suggest you read Jonasl's thread here for important information regarding this keyboard. You will need to re-enable and completely reconfigure this keyboard after installing (only if you haven't already done v22+).

One last note, there is a new hi res Clicker.apk available too. I have not included it in these downloads, you will need to get that from the official HTC_IME Mod download if you haven't already! Update: or get it here -> Clicker_hi.zip

v24 links removed because v25 is now available in the kitchen, screenshots represent some of the many themes you can create there!
    Sir. gIMpSTa

First off I would like to say that your site is amazing. I have made several custom keyboards for some popular roms on XDA Vibrant Development Section using your site (All props went to you in all of my posts) and had no problems until now.

When I go through the steps to Create custom primary/function keys as i have done before, I get as far as this step,,,,,

>The next step will automatically take place on another server and load in an iframe below this text. You must wait until you see the "All Done!" message before continuing.<

The "All Done" Text never appears. I takes several minutes and page stops loading like before but never shows up. when clicking on the button to go to the next step, just loads an error page.

If I go through the steps to make a keyboard using pre-existing keys, No problems.

Looks to me like the server that is linked to that "Create custom primary/function keys" is not working.

I used 3 different internet connections with 3 different devices, Makes no difference.

has anyone else been having the same problems???

Please look into this and let me know, Thanks

Thanks for the kind words!

And thanks for pointing that out to me. My VPS had locked up, it is being restarted right now!

Edit: This is fixed! Thanks again.

This is great, got it to work on my Moto Atrix using the v27-optus 2x as the base (whatever that means) BUT it sits over tot he left of the screen with a gap on the right, it is possible to have it modded for the Atrix either slightly bigger buttons OR sit it nicely in the middle?

It looks and feels lovely just that minor thing to make it perfect :)

Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot that can be done (at least by me, at this time) for resolution issues. I can take a look later but no promises that I will be able to do anything.
    Testers needed!

What is this?

Everything else:

If you select a preset, you will still be asked to choose each portion of the keyboard (background, buttons, text color etc). The image with the yellow background around it (you'll see what I mean) is the default "piece" for the preset.

URL for HIGH RES online kitchen: http://www.gimpsta.com/themer/

URL for LOW RES online kitchen: http://www.gimpsta.com/themerlo/

statsimg.php

Current feature list:
    Could make 100s of these. :good:

That's nice

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2