XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

This may be odd

Tip us?

michaelo147
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default This may be odd

But i rooted my N1, but i am completely happy with the way it is now and i dont want to flash a custom rom on it, so what can i really do now, for instance would i be able to install wired tether and have it work? or do i need to install a custom rom for that

I am just wondering if there is any benefit of your the N1 so far without having to flash a custom rom
Google Nexus 4
Non-rooted
still an amazing phone

Previous devices

HTC Sensation 4G rooted s-off
Android Revolution HD

Nexus one rooted
CM6

G1 rooted
SuperD

GuerillaZhou
Old
Thanks Meter 3
yes, you should be able to install wired and wifi tether. but i would suggest giving other roms a shot, if you dont like it. just do a nand restore
Samsung Blackjack II->Motorola Q9->iPhone 2G->Nexus One->Samsung Blackjack->Motorola Atrix 4G->Nexus 4

FIGHTING ILLINI

inhuman5000
Old
Thanks Meter 2
can you still install apps2sd with no custom rom?
also newb question. doesn installing a custom rom after root give a noticable perfomance boost? like feeing up more ram and rom as well?

GuerillaZhou
Old
Thanks Meter 3
most custom roms have the himem enabled, so that will double the available ram for you to use. and apps2sd only works well with the custom rom they came with

i am running cyanogen, and it works really well, better than stock for sure.
Samsung Blackjack II->Motorola Q9->iPhone 2G->Nexus One->Samsung Blackjack->Motorola Atrix 4G->Nexus 4

FIGHTING ILLINI

michaelo147
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
But when you go to the download page of wired tethered it says i need a rdnis enabled kernel and i dont think the nexus one comes stock with it, but thats mainly just a guess not an actual fact of knowledge
Google Nexus 4
Non-rooted
still an amazing phone

Previous devices

HTC Sensation 4G rooted s-off
Android Revolution HD

Nexus one rooted
CM6

G1 rooted
SuperD

rjhay22
Old
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME
:) I don't blame you the N1 already performs great even when it's stock, but since you're already rooted, I suggest you flash Amon's recovery, do a nandroid back up, and try out the available ROMs, you will get everything the stock ROM has and A LOT more, it gives you more memory, speed boost, battery savings, and the option to save aps to SD. If you aren't happy with it you can always restore it. :)

I'm running Enomther's ROM right now, and trust me you wont get disappointed.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelo147 View Post
But i rooted my N1, but i am completely happy with the way it is now and i dont want to flash a custom rom on it, so what can i really do now, for instance would i be able to install wired tether and have it work? or do i need to install a custom rom for that

I am just wondering if there is any benefit of your the N1 so far without having to flash a custom rom
LIST/Instructions- Apps and Threads for customization

[Icons]Mirror / 3D Illuminate / Illuminate

[Icons]Sphere and Buuf style icons

[Icons][Icons]My Icon Pack Compilation 03.08.11

[MOD]Change UNLOCK and LOCK sounds 2.12.11

- LG G2X - Rooted
- MyTouch 4g

- ROM: RoyalMiui (Best ROM)

I count him braver, he who conquers his EGO than he who conquers his ENEMIES... For the greatest victory is victory over ones SELF.

inhuman5000
Old
(Last edited by inhuman5000; 2nd April 2010 at 02:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
sorry another question.
If i decide to root. could i backup all my current apps and recover them once i root. I have mybackup pro and will i be able to just run restore apps in a custom rom with mybackup pro?
And with rooted phones, all over the air updates by google must be manually installed right? instead of ota right?

rjhay22
Old
(Last edited by rjhay22; 2nd April 2010 at 02:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME
I'm not sure how backup pro works but I think it'll restore your aps coz that's what its for :-p also when you flash a new ROM, the first time you open your downloads list from the market, all the apps you have installed from your previous ROM will be available for download. Note that this only works the first time you open market, so make sure you don't exit the market until your done installing all, or you won't see them again. :)

Yes you wont get OTA updates when you're rooted, but this is not a big deal since the devs update their ROM as soon as Google releases an update, often, they even get the leaked versions and incorporate it in their ROMs, so you'll be running the updated version of the N1 way before the stock N1's get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhuman5000 View Post
sorry another question.
If i decide to root. could i backup all my current apps and recover them once i root. I have mybackup pro and will i be able to just run restore apps in a custom rom with mybackup pro?
LIST/Instructions- Apps and Threads for customization

[Icons]Mirror / 3D Illuminate / Illuminate

[Icons]Sphere and Buuf style icons

[Icons][Icons]My Icon Pack Compilation 03.08.11

[MOD]Change UNLOCK and LOCK sounds 2.12.11

- LG G2X - Rooted
- MyTouch 4g

- ROM: RoyalMiui (Best ROM)

I count him braver, he who conquers his EGO than he who conquers his ENEMIES... For the greatest victory is victory over ones SELF.

setzer715
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaZhou View Post
yes, you should be able to install wired and wifi tether. but i would suggest giving other roms a shot, if you dont like it. just do a nand restore
This is actually incorrect. The kernal needs to be updated to be able to use ether of the tethering apps. With the stock rom, there isn't much you can do with a rooted phone. In fact, its almost a waste to root unless your going to run a custom ROM. I use and trust Enomther's ROM's. VERY stable and capable of using tether apps, apps2sd, has the hacked kernal that allows the full use of the 512Mb of RAM etc. etc. Check it out here.
Nexus 5 - PurityROM
Nexus 10 - PurityROM
Nexus 4 - My Son is using it running PurityROM
TMO SGSIII - CM10.1
HTC One S - Sold
TMO SGSII - Sold
Sensation 4G - Sold
MT4G - Got a new one! Stock 2.3.5 with root.
Nexus One - CM9!
Vibrant - Let in-law use it. Just wasn't cutting it for me.
MyTouch3G Slide - Returned
MyTouch 3G - Sold
G1 - Sold

inhuman5000
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhay22 View Post
I'm not sure how backup pro works but I think it'll restore your aps coz that's what its for :-p also when you flash a new ROM, the first time you open your downloads list from the market, all the apps you have installed from your previous ROM will be available for download. Note that this only works the first time you open market, so make sure you don't exit the market until your done installing all, or you won't see them again. :)

Yes you wont get OTA updates when you're rooted, but this is not a big deal since the devs update their ROM as soon as Google releases an update, often, they even get the leaked versions and incorporate it in their ROMs, so you'll be running the updated version of the N1 way before the stock N1's get it.

thanks alot man.