Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

16GB Micro SD Class 6 speed issues

OP dannstarr

2nd April 2010, 06:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 120

282 posts
More
I originally had an 8gb class 4 card and when transferring files between my Nexus and PC I noted speeds of up to around 3mb per second.

I recently invested in a 16gb class 6, but now when I transfer files I am very lucky to even reach 1mb per second. This card is incredibly slow, is this right? I thought class 6 were supposed to be at around 6mb's per second?
2nd April 2010, 06:24 PM   |  #2  
Flag Lake Forest, CA
Thanks Meter: 3,021

1,909 posts
Donate to Me
More
strange that the speed is less that the class 4 sd, but u cud confirm the card transfer speed using a card reader

but in any case, you shud note that the phone limits the transfer speeds so u mite never get the full transfer speed of a class 6 card...
2nd April 2010, 07:30 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 120

282 posts
More
Oh, I did not know that the phone would limit the speeds, still, it does seem strange that the speed is less than my class 4.

I shall do what you suggested and try and get hold of an adapter to use my card reader
2nd April 2010, 07:53 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

108 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannstarr

I originally had an 8gb class 4 card and when transferring files between my Nexus and PC I noted speeds of up to around 3mb per second.

I recently invested in a 16gb class 6, but now when I transfer files I am very lucky to even reach 1mb per second. This card is incredibly slow, is this right? I thought class 6 were supposed to be at around 6mb's per second?

Where did you buy this card from. If it was off ebay, then it could be a fake & that would explain the 1mb transfer speed.
2nd June 2010, 10:18 AM   |  #5  
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 2

13 posts
I recently bought a Kingmax 16GB Class6 microSD card. While I was initially transferring my files from my Sandisk 8GB Class2 microSD card, I noticed that the transfer rate was kind of slow, so I decided to do some benchmarking.

Software: CrystalDiskMark 3.0
3 different microSD cards using same USB card reader
Card #1 - Sandisk 8GB C2
Card #2 - Kingston 8GB C4
Card #3 - Kingmax 16GB C6 (new one that I just bought)

Here are the results (Seq Read; Seq Write; Random Read; Random Write):
Card #1: 17.08MB/s; 5.13MB/s; 17.09MB/s; 1.05MB/s
Card #2: 17.23MB/s; 9.53MB/s; 17.23MB/s; 1.92MB/s
Card #3: 16.05MB/s; 5.22MB/s; 16.73MB/s; 1.02MB/s

Summary: My new Class6 card was about the same speed as my Class2 card.

I approached the vendor and they tested a few other Kingmax card that they had in stock... all cards were reportedly about the same speed as the one they sent me. They swear that it's not fake. Maybe its a bad batch of cards but somthing is weird/wrong. Anyways... I'm sending my card back for a refund. I am going to stick to my Kingston Class4 card now.
The Following User Says Thank You to dysa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd June 2010, 01:22 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 33

353 posts
More
1MB/sec can be indicative of USB 1 speeds, is OP sure that its connecting @ USB 2?
The class is supposed to be the minimum write speed, and I assume that to be sequential.
2nd January 2011, 01:16 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
>Kingston

isn't that ring the bell? I mean they are pretty expensive....

I think if you go beyond certain level of quility, the pay off of such c/p ratio will get narrowed and you can't tell difference......

either go dirt cheap or go super HD expensive, middle is kind of "uh they are more expensive than dirt cheap but not even close to those expensive things....."

like my AMD vs INTEL war, cheapest AMD almost always beat middle/low Intel by cost + performance, or just go get best INTEL and enjoy the hell out of it.

happy new year

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread