Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 40,394 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WAP on Android

Tip us?

hybridb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default WAP on Android

Hello,

So I've recently moved from 3G land (the US) to a country that only offers WAP internet (with an oh-so-generous 25mb monthly cap). I signed up for the service and all the settings were emailed to me for manual entry since officially they don't support android devices (aka never seen one). Long story short things never worked (although I get an Edge icon in the status bar, nothing works). I had to go to the mobile operator's main HQ and no one there could figure anything out (interestingly they mentioned that they have similar issues with getting WAP to work on the iphone). Which lead me to believe that I guess that these new smartphones don't support WAP anymore (understandably so, since its a pretty outdated way to get internet on your phone).

So my question is, has anyone faced a similar issue before? Do you know of any way to get WAP-only internet working on my G1?

P.S.: on GSMArena.com, the specs on a phone such as the Nokia E72 state
"Browser: WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML"

whereas for the G1 it says,
"Browser: HTML"

So perhaps, if I can't get all my apps to work, I can at least find an android browser that supports WAP? Anyone knows of such a browser?

Thanks alot!!

MilkPudding
Old
Thanks Meter 36
The bunch of info that they sent you is to set up the WAP gateway to access websites through WML - you don't need the encoding on android because android access HTML sites directly.

Ask for GPRS.
Phone: Nexus 4

Retired Android phones:
Galaxy Nexus
T-Mo Samsung Vibrant
T-Mo MT3G
iPhone (1st gen)

hybridb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I had already asked for GPRS, and it's only available for the way overpriced post-paid plan, and once you "upgrade" to post-paid you can never go back to prepaid. (amazing how little companies give a damn when they're in a monopolistic position)

So WAP on Android is no go??

cauli
Old
(Last edited by cauli; 7th April 2010 at 04:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I've never used it (the add on, that is), but MCR 3.2, an Android 1.5 custom ROM for Heros, comes with an optional enhanced add on pack that includes a WAP browser.

I don't know if this is of any direct use to you, but if not, perhaps it could help lead you to a solution? Looks like you'd need the app & one lib file, out of the zip, assuming you can use this code as it stands.