FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

Extract *.apk?

2,442 posts
Thanks Meter: 37
 
By hah2110, Senior Member on 12th April 2010, 03:25 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
If I have a *.apk that I download, is there anyway to backup/extract it?
 
 
12th April 2010, 05:14 PM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
The apk is really just a ZIP file. Try renaming the file to whatever.apk.zip and open using your favorite ZIP utility. You should be able to view all the contents. Resources (such as images) can be extracted. The java code is compiled into a .dex file so you can't view the raw code, but there are utilities (like this one) to decompile it: http://dedexer.sourceforge.net/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostfaced For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th April 2010, 05:24 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfaced

The apk is really just a ZIP file. Try renaming the file to whatever.apk.zip and open using your favorite ZIP utility. You should be able to view all the contents. Resources (such as images) can be extracted. The java code is compiled into a .dex file so you can't view the raw code, but there are utilities (like this one) to decompile it: http://dedexer.sourceforge.net/

Right but how do I find the *.apk if I am downloading it off of the market?
12th April 2010, 07:47 PM |#4  
silverramsrt's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
apps are located in data/app/

There are also various apps in the market that will backup apps.

I use appmonster incedently.

7zip can extract and view contents of an apk without renaming.
12th April 2010, 10:00 PM |#5  
ECLIPS3's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 4
 
Donate to Me
More
backup and reinstalling apps....

view the first link in my signature.
13th April 2010, 06:37 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 78
 
More
I used MyBackup Pro to do a backup of my apps onto the sd card, then I used ASTRO file manager to navigate to /sdcard/rerware/MyBackup/AllAppsBackups where I found the file LastBackupApps.zip. I then used androzip or something similar to unzip that file and it contained the apk for every one of the apps I backed up.
17th June 2010, 01:22 PM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
how to extract .apk.p files
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfaced

The apk is really just a ZIP file. Try renaming the file to whatever.apk.zip and open using your favorite ZIP utility. You should be able to view all the contents. Resources (such as images) can be extracted. The java code is compiled into a .dex file so you can't view the raw code, but there are utilities (like this one) to decompile it: http://dedexer.sourceforge.net/

I have a zip file with .apk.p files in it which are exracted with package_extract_file in the updater script. Is there a way to manually extract these, since renaming to .zip doesn't help if I open them with any unzipper program?

Thanks
17th June 2010, 11:37 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 847
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxrose

I have a zip file with .apk.p files in it which are exracted with package_extract_file in the updater script. Is there a way to manually extract these, since renaming to .zip doesn't help if I open them with any unzipper program?

Thanks

I believe the files you are referring to - the files ending in ".p" - are "patch" files. They only appear in the OTA download .zip file, and they are worthless to you. They are not complete files, but just enough data to patch the corresponding 1.5 app .apk so that it turns into the 2.1 version.

If you want the complete .apk files which they correspond to, just download the Leak-V3 .zip file, extract the "system.img" file, and then unpack that file using the "unyaffs" utility (search for it, you'll find it at code.Google.com).

bftb0
18th June 2010, 12:02 PM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0

I believe the files you are referring to - the files ending in ".p" - are "patch" files. They only appear in the OTA download .zip file, and they are worthless to you. They are not complete files, but just enough data to patch the corresponding 1.5 app .apk so that it turns into the 2.1 version.

If you want the complete .apk files which they correspond to, just download the Leak-V3 .zip file, extract the "system.img" file, and then unpack that file using the "unyaffs" utility (search for it, you'll find it at code.Google.com).

bftb0

Thanks for the info. I thought I can update the apk files manually, because from recovery it doesn't work (it is a rooted image, so signature not accepted) and there are some fixes in the new update that I wanted to give a chance.
31st March 2011, 05:34 PM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Unable to install ddx1.14.jar in my HTC wildire :(
I hve downloaded dexeder.jar file in to my SD card. but i can't install it in my HTC wildfire...
it shows an error...
"ddx1.14.jar cannot be installed because critical information is missing from the application file (MIDlet-Name). Please contact the application provider for more information."

Help me Pls..... Thanks in advance.....
Last edited by mady2rule; 31st March 2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to give title
31st March 2011, 05:36 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
apk download
did you search for the apk online?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes