Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,395 Members 48,485 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Extract *.apk?

Tip us?

hah2110
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default Extract *.apk?

If I have a *.apk that I download, is there anyway to backup/extract it?

ghostfaced
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The apk is really just a ZIP file. Try renaming the file to whatever.apk.zip and open using your favorite ZIP utility. You should be able to view all the contents. Resources (such as images) can be extracted. The java code is compiled into a .dex file so you can't view the raw code, but there are utilities (like this one) to decompile it: http://dedexer.sourceforge.net/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostfaced For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hah2110
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfaced View Post
The apk is really just a ZIP file. Try renaming the file to whatever.apk.zip and open using your favorite ZIP utility. You should be able to view all the contents. Resources (such as images) can be extracted. The java code is compiled into a .dex file so you can't view the raw code, but there are utilities (like this one) to decompile it: http://dedexer.sourceforge.net/
Right but how do I find the *.apk if I am downloading it off of the market?

silverramsrt
Old
Thanks Meter 17
apps are located in data/app/

There are also various apps in the market that will backup apps.

I use appmonster incedently.

7zip can extract and view contents of an apk without renaming.

ECLIPS3
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
backup and reinstalling apps....

view the first link in my signature.
Rooting your phone? Backing up and reinstalling apps?
Use this application made by ECLIPS3 and Jamezelle

Web Based IRC Chat

Alternate 1 click root method by jcase:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=742228

maxh
Old
Thanks Meter 77
I used MyBackup Pro to do a backup of my apps onto the sd card, then I used ASTRO file manager to navigate to /sdcard/rerware/MyBackup/AllAppsBackups where I found the file LastBackupApps.zip. I then used androzip or something similar to unzip that file and it contained the apk for every one of the apps I backed up.

lxrose
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default how to extract .apk.p files

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfaced View Post
I have a zip file with .apk.p files in it which are exracted with package_extract_file in the updater script. Is there a way to manually extract these, since renaming to .zip doesn't help if I open them with any unzipper program?

Thanks

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxrose View Post
I have a zip file with .apk.p files in it which are exracted with package_extract_file in the updater script. Is there a way to manually extract these, since renaming to .zip doesn't help if I open them with any unzipper program?

Thanks
I believe the files you are referring to - the files ending in ".p" - are "patch" files. They only appear in the OTA download .zip file, and they are worthless to you. They are not complete files, but just enough data to patch the corresponding 1.5 app .apk so that it turns into the 2.1 version.

If you want the complete .apk files which they correspond to, just download the Leak-V3 .zip file, extract the "system.img" file, and then unpack that file using the "unyaffs" utility (search for it, you'll find it at code.Google.com).

bftb0

lxrose
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0 View Post
I believe the files you are referring to - the files ending in ".p" - are "patch" files. They only appear in the OTA download .zip file, and they are worthless to you. They are not complete files, but just enough data to patch the corresponding 1.5 app .apk so that it turns into the 2.1 version.

If you want the complete .apk files which they correspond to, just download the Leak-V3 .zip file, extract the "system.img" file, and then unpack that file using the "unyaffs" utility (search for it, you'll find it at code.Google.com).

bftb0
Thanks for the info. I thought I can update the apk files manually, because from recovery it doesn't work (it is a rooted image, so signature not accepted) and there are some fixes in the new update that I wanted to give a chance.

mady2rule
Old
(Last edited by mady2rule; 31st March 2011 at 05:40 PM.) Reason: Forgot to give title
Thanks Meter 0
Default Unable to install ddx1.14.jar in my HTC wildire :(

I hve downloaded dexeder.jar file in to my SD card. but i can't install it in my HTC wildfire...
it shows an error...
"ddx1.14.jar cannot be installed because critical information is missing from the application file (MIDlet-Name). Please contact the application provider for more information."

Help me Pls..... Thanks in advance.....