Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 44,056 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery Issue Finally Fixed

Tip us?

bigupurself7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Battery Issue Finally Fixed

I read on another site to simply turn off the always on in the wireless settings (not the background data in the sync menu) and my battery life has at least doubled. I was worried that my e-mail would not download or other apps would not work, but all my email still comes. The trick is that while your phone is in sleep mode it does not look for email, but once you use it the phone will get your email. Unless you MUST get your email right away, I would highly recommend changing this setting. All input would be greatly appreciated, I want to see if my good luck is working for other people. On a side note I am using Fresh ROM 2.0d.

subliminalurge
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Could you post the specific path to the setting you're talking about?

If I set my wifi to anything other than "never sleep", then once my phone goes into sleep mode I have to follow a long, convoluted, pain in the ass procedure to get wifi to work at all.

Hopefully that's not the setting you're talking about?

alexthearmo
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I posted this exact same thing in another thread two days ago. I was so stoked on my battery performance that I wanted to tell others. It's incredible the difference it makes! If you want even better performance go into Settings>Location...uncheck the use wireless networks box, and check the use GPS. Believe it or not the GPS uses a lot LESS battery life to detect your location than the wireless networks.

I'm getting like 2 whole days out of my phone now after doing these things...and that's with pretty moderate use. Hope other people try it out too.
Fresh 2.0d with Thearmo Theme

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

sinistermeshes
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge View Post
Could you post the specific path to the setting you're talking about?

If I set my wifi to anything other than "never sleep", then once my phone goes into sleep mode I have to follow a long, convoluted, pain in the ass procedure to get wifi to work at all.

Hopefully that's not the setting you're talking about?
+1
where are these options?

bigupurself7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
I agree, I used the GPS as well, not the use wireless network. I forgot about that one. Your phone will only use the GPS when it needs it, not all the time like we used to think. The exact settings are at MENU/SETTINGS/WIRELESS & NETWORKS/MOBILE NETWORKS\AND UNCHECK ENABLE ALWAYS-ON MOBILE

subliminalurge
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthearmo View Post
If you want even better performance go into Settings>Location...uncheck the use wireless networks box, and check the use GPS. Believe it or not the GPS uses a lot LESS battery life to detect your location than the wireless networks.
This will vary from person to person. It will depend A LOT on how good your coverage is in the spot you're currently at.

GPS is GPS. It will require the same amount of juice anywhere on the planet.

Cell chips are different. They are hardcoded to give more electricity to the radio circuit when the signal is weak, for obvious reasons. So if you have a cell tower in your back yard, then yeah, you'll get great battery performance relying on cell based options. If your nearest cell tower is 4 miles away, and you're one of those people that loses signal when you go into your basement, then telling your phone to use cell info is only going to chew up battery even faster....

scirio
Old
Thanks Meter 24
no thanks. This isn't a fix, it's a pref change.

Fix would mean that everything stays the same and you just get better battery life.

But, good advice none the less, just not for me.

subliminalurge
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirio View Post

Fix would mean that everything stays the same and you just get better battery life.
Yeah, people on the forum use the word "fix" WAY too quickly.

"Fix" means everything works like you would expect, and like it should. Around here, people use the word "fix" when what they really mean is "here's a half-assed workaround that's a complete pain in the ass, but it will get 10% of the people by until something better comes along...."....

willy900wonka
Old
(Last edited by willy900wonka; 13th April 2010 at 12:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirio View Post

But, good advice none the less, just not for me.
+1 - 6 minutes and counting to receive a test / text msg, while phone is sleeping. Nice the know though, if I need to really trade connectivity for battery duration. I should test whether sms polling is tied to the email polling interval. Cause it ain't interrupt driven with this setting.
edit: i know it's not really sms polling, but rather the lack of an interrupt(-ion of sleep).

bigupurself7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Yes, you are right, it is not a fix, but a great way to increase battery life and like I said, everything works the same. I get messages the exact same way and email will go straight to my phone once I use it.