Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Battery Issue Finally Fixed

OP bigupurself7

12th April 2010, 10:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

348 posts
I read on another site to simply turn off the always on in the wireless settings (not the background data in the sync menu) and my battery life has at least doubled. I was worried that my e-mail would not download or other apps would not work, but all my email still comes. The trick is that while your phone is in sleep mode it does not look for email, but once you use it the phone will get your email. Unless you MUST get your email right away, I would highly recommend changing this setting. All input would be greatly appreciated, I want to see if my good luck is working for other people. On a side note I am using Fresh ROM 2.0d.
12th April 2010, 10:59 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

318 posts
Could you post the specific path to the setting you're talking about?

If I set my wifi to anything other than "never sleep", then once my phone goes into sleep mode I have to follow a long, convoluted, pain in the ass procedure to get wifi to work at all.

Hopefully that's not the setting you're talking about?
12th April 2010, 11:00 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 44

846 posts
I posted this exact same thing in another thread two days ago. I was so stoked on my battery performance that I wanted to tell others. It's incredible the difference it makes! If you want even better performance go into Settings>Location...uncheck the use wireless networks box, and check the use GPS. Believe it or not the GPS uses a lot LESS battery life to detect your location than the wireless networks.

I'm getting like 2 whole days out of my phone now after doing these things...and that's with pretty moderate use. Hope other people try it out too.
12th April 2010, 11:04 PM   |  #4  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1

147 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge

Could you post the specific path to the setting you're talking about?

If I set my wifi to anything other than "never sleep", then once my phone goes into sleep mode I have to follow a long, convoluted, pain in the ass procedure to get wifi to work at all.

Hopefully that's not the setting you're talking about?

+1
where are these options?
12th April 2010, 11:05 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

348 posts
I agree, I used the GPS as well, not the use wireless network. I forgot about that one. Your phone will only use the GPS when it needs it, not all the time like we used to think. The exact settings are at MENU/SETTINGS/WIRELESS & NETWORKS/MOBILE NETWORKS\AND UNCHECK ENABLE ALWAYS-ON MOBILE
12th April 2010, 11:44 PM   |  #6  

318 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthearmo

If you want even better performance go into Settings>Location...uncheck the use wireless networks box, and check the use GPS. Believe it or not the GPS uses a lot LESS battery life to detect your location than the wireless networks.

This will vary from person to person. It will depend A LOT on how good your coverage is in the spot you're currently at.

GPS is GPS. It will require the same amount of juice anywhere on the planet.

Cell chips are different. They are hardcoded to give more electricity to the radio circuit when the signal is weak, for obvious reasons. So if you have a cell tower in your back yard, then yeah, you'll get great battery performance relying on cell based options. If your nearest cell tower is 4 miles away, and you're one of those people that loses signal when you go into your basement, then telling your phone to use cell info is only going to chew up battery even faster....
12th April 2010, 11:54 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 24

425 posts
More
no thanks. This isn't a fix, it's a pref change.

Fix would mean that everything stays the same and you just get better battery life.

But, good advice none the less, just not for me.
13th April 2010, 12:16 AM   |  #8  

318 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirio

Fix would mean that everything stays the same and you just get better battery life.

Yeah, people on the forum use the word "fix" WAY too quickly.

"Fix" means everything works like you would expect, and like it should. Around here, people use the word "fix" when what they really mean is "here's a half-assed workaround that's a complete pain in the ass, but it will get 10% of the people by until something better comes along...."....
13th April 2010, 12:19 AM   |  #9  
Flag Penguinville
Thanks Meter: 74

636 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirio

But, good advice none the less, just not for me.

+1 - 6 minutes and counting to receive a test / text msg, while phone is sleeping. Nice the know though, if I need to really trade connectivity for battery duration. I should test whether sms polling is tied to the email polling interval. Cause it ain't interrupt driven with this setting.
edit: i know it's not really sms polling, but rather the lack of an interrupt(-ion of sleep).
Last edited by willy900wonka; 13th April 2010 at 12:27 AM.
13th April 2010, 12:30 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

348 posts
Yes, you are right, it is not a fix, but a great way to increase battery life and like I said, everything works the same. I get messages the exact same way and email will go straight to my phone once I use it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread