5,605,519 Members 45,328 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Opera Mini 5 and Latest Jbed all-in-one cab

Tip us?

optyqus
Old
(Last edited by optyqus; 25th May 2010 at 10:09 PM.) Reason: Added workaround for the system bars issue.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default New Opera Mini 5 and Latest Jbed all-in-one cab

Trying to make things easier with Opera Mini 5 java (as the native WM Opera Mini is still beta and has some issues), I created a cab which spares you of headaches. I'm aware that there are other similar project in the forums, but this one is a little bit different.

This cab contains:
- latest Esmertect Jbed Java (20090506) (credits to Agrab)
- Opera Mini 5 final, presigned - it will ask no permissions
- Mortscript 2.5 and a connection script- this will automatically initialize your default internet connection when clicking the Opera Mini shortcut, thus saving some seconds of waiting times.

INSTRUCTIONS:

- If you already have Opera Mini 5 installed and don't want to loose your data (bookmarks, quicklinks), before installing my cab go to Opera Mini>Settings, click Opera Link and create an account (this is fast and easy). Than login and synchronize your data.
- Important: if you already have Opera Mini and jbed installed, uninstall them and navigate to Windows folder and delete the appdb folder. Note that you will loose any other java apps installed.
- Install the right cab for your device (it will automatically install into internal memory)

- Perform a reboot, to allow registry updating.

- Enter Opera Mini>Settings>Opera Link, login and synchronise your data.

NOTES:

There are two versions of the cab:
- W/QVGA version - this one has the classic logo of Opera Mini as shortcut image in start menu, and is more suitable for low res devices. However, it works ok on W/VGA too.
-W/VGA version - this one uses the Opera icon part of Anastasia Iconset created by Dinik. This version is wm6.5/6.5.x only!
The font sizes are optimized for high resolution. If you encounter problems, post them here.
In this version of Jbed you are able to select all text in fullscreen edit mode by performing a double click. You can copy it if you use a keyboard which has copy-paste function (like Touchpal).

NEW RELEASE (April 22nd ):
  • - replaced Opera Mini 5.0.18365 with the very latest build 5.0.18741
    - fixed security tap notification; now Opera Mini will install itself when clicking it's shortcut the first time.
    - fixed the qvga cab; now you should have the right font sizes on qvga devices;
    - these updates should fix the login issue reported in this thread
    - I strongly suggest to all users who downloaded the previous versions to uninstall them and upgrade with these ones

UPDATE (April 27th )- ADDED CABS FOR MORE LANGUAGES:

For now, I only had the time to modify the WVGA version of my cab for 7 different languages. Will modify the QVGA cab for these languages as needed (by requests). If your language is not here, make a request; I'll consider to add other languages only based on at least 3 requests per language (however, I cannot promise).

DOWNLOAD
-Deutsch, Greek, Italian and Romanian see post #4 to get the cabs
-Polish, Russian and Swedish check post #6 to download

Known bugs:
- Esmertec Jbed doesn't respond well on screen rotation, occasionaly making Opera Mini bars go under system bars (this is a jbed problem). To make opera go back to normal exit the program (without closing it) and re-enter by clicking its shortcut in start menu (or Sense link ,today shortcut etc). recommend you deactivate G-sensor rotation for Jbed. To have Opera Mini in landscape just use it's dedicated option (under Opera's settings menu).
- on rare occasions Opera Mini refuses to connect. Just try again, it'll work.
- I noticed Opera Mini has problems with uploading long texts (it's a problem related to browsing timeouts). If you use it to post messages on forums, my advice is that you copy your text before you press the "Submit/Post" button. Sometimes you may find out that after you pressed submit, the browser just brings you to the last page, and your text has gone. This can be painful when you wrote a long text... but if you have copied it, it's easy to go again and just paste, then submit the text.
My work:
Alecs Windows Phone 7 Taskbar Iconset W\VGA
New Opera Mini 5 + latest Jbed all-in-one-cab
Alecs_HD2 Bios Startup Animation
Alecs_Diamond2 Bios Startup Animation

Device: HTC HD2, running ★[GB][2.3.8] CyanMobileX Leo v1.0 [NativeSD][A2SD][WIP][tytung_r14]★

ascary
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Congratulations man! I'll finish up the final version, to test the worth of your proposed applications. Keep up the good work.
Elegancia Forever !

FroyoStone Sense

orb3000
Old
XDA News Writer / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3010
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

DONATE TO ME
Already posted on Opera Official Thread here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=486502
(post 3)

Will compare versions and if not the same IŽll include it on the list
Thanks,
orb

HTC One Max - HTC Butterfly S - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognises that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly

optyqus
Old
(Last edited by optyqus; 26th April 2010 at 10:03 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
OK, I modified the WVGA version of my cab with Opera Mini in few different languages. Now the cabs are compressed. Each cab is tested on my device. To install, please uninstall previous versions and delete "appdb" folder within Windows directory.
My work:

Device: HTC HD2, running ★[GB][2.3.8] CyanMobileX Leo v1.0 [NativeSD][A2SD][WIP][tytung_r14]★

orb3000
Old
Thanks Meter 3010

DONATE TO ME
Ok then, will add to official thread
Thanks,
orb

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognises that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly

optyqus
Old
(Last edited by optyqus; 26th April 2010 at 10:06 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
OK, thank you!
PS: by creating this thread I didn't intend to hijack other people work. I just found my own way of compiling Opera Mini and Jbed in a convenient way and wanted to share this with the community.

Added cabs for Russian, Polish and Swedish:
My work:

Menneisyys
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 9
Great news! Will surely mention this in my next Web browsing-related article.
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices, 2006, 2007, 2008. Make sure you follow my PPC & SP Mag Expert blog HERE.

orb3000
Old
Thanks Meter 3010

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by optyqus View Post
OK, thank you!
PS: by creating this thread I didn't intend to hijack other people work. I just found my own way of compiling Opera Mini and Jbed in a convenient way and wanted to share this with the community.
No prob. Mate
Already included on Opera Thread
orb

Mr. Clown
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Fear the Clown
Thanks Meter 2234

DONATE TO ME
Great work!! Thanks for sharing!

Devices:
Samsung Galaxy SIII I9300 - Stock Rom 4.2.2 (Stolen)
T-Mobile SGH-T999 - Stock Rom 4.3
HTC HD2 : Nexus HD2 JB 4.1.2 (RIP)

Azitrox
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Nice

Thanks

SONY Xperia Z1Compact D5503

HTC HD2
Rom: 7.10.8862.144
Radio: 2.10.50.08_2

Acer Iconia A500