Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,005 Members 38,126 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Block ads on your Android phone (2010-04-15)

Tip us?

DatterBoy
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Hello!
Had been using this on my Rooted Nook Color and seems it is no longer working. been getting a number of different errors, some of which come and go but generlaly don't persist, but regardless, ads keep showing up in apps that don't show ads on my DINC counyterpart.

Angry Birds
Wordfeud

The errors I get are:
java.io.EOFException
Failed to remove /system/etc hosts so it could be replaced

And one more I can't seem to recreate. I've had the error happen on 2 Nook Colors, one fresh out of box and rooted clean.

Thoughts?
at

Bingley
Old
Thanks Meter 56
I'm having similar problems: ads in Angry Birds etc; the AF app says it's installed, updated and working properly, but the file appears as 0.00B - empty. Any ideas?

ScHiZii
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Works great thanks alot!
I am using this on my iPhone 4, perfect

Bingley
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Update works, apart from Appbrain; thanks.

cobo_
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatterBoy View Post
The errors I get are:
java.io.EOFException
Failed to remove /system/etc hosts so it could be replaced
Looks like something is trying to delete your hosts file and create a new one/restore to default.
Maybe some app developers have cottoned-on to this and are trying to remove hosts file on install of their app, or Android updates are trying to do it?

Either way, ads in apps are bad, as phaelox has pointed out.

----

Where's our privacy gone?

sjaak1234
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Impossible to get this to work on my Legend. adb just doesn't work. Get different errors depending on what commands I use.

Also root explorer way doesn't work because it keeps bitching about not having enough free space. Obviously that is total bull****.

Adfree just keeps rebooting my phone.

Any tips?

sjaak1234
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Seriously, this just seems impossible.

There is no way adb or any other app allows me push or copy the damn hosts file. wget doesnt work. cp says not found. So I googled it. Need to install more stuff (why the **** isn't there a cp option by default?), install busybox, use the busybox adb, still same error.

Why why why???

mayurh
Old
Thanks Meter 80
hi there

is there an updated hosts file the one in the op says 2010?

sjaak1234
Old
Thanks Meter 6
**** me, I had it. Flashed a different rom to see if maybe this would allow me to edit the system folder but no. Should have known it though. How the **** anybody can write such a piece of disfunctional software is beyond me. Basically I get to rw mounting the system but that's it. Push commands? Not found. cp command? not found. Wget? not found. Same **** in Terminal ap. Or I get directory not empty errors which I can't solve either (posts in this topic don't help).

How much effort can it take to edit a ****ing hosts file? Have All OS I ever worked with this is about a 5 second job.

sjaak1234
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Finally got it to work.

Now there is no way I got this working from terminal app, adb + phone booted or default recovery mode (traingle screen). However if you boot into clockwork recovery mode, manually mount system and sdcard and than use the commands from this topic it will work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjaak1234 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
hosts block filter ads