Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Block ads on your Android phone (2010-04-15)

OP phaelox

20th April 2010, 02:55 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 1

116 posts
what about non rooted phones? I just got myself a htc desire, I'm happy with it but would be happier if I wouldn't be required to see all those ads.
20th April 2010, 10:31 PM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

107 posts
Unfortunately root is required to remount /system as writable to be able to overwrite the hosts file.

Without root you could use another free app found in Market called "AdBlock", which functions as a localhost proxy. Just set localhost as proxy in APN/wifi settings. It doesn't come with a prefilled list of keywords to block though, but it works on a URL level, not FQDN, so you can specify a url or part of it to block.
21st April 2010, 03:47 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Just one more quick concern about the Data Connectivity issues: Certain areas of my university require a redirect page login in order to connect to wifi. However, it seems that at certain locations, I get the Data Connectivity error pop up repeatedly and my phone never makes it to the redirect page.

Actually it seems my phone only likes the wifi in my dorm. As stepping outside (to a library or classroom) and attempting to connect to the same wifi produces the error.

Is this an issue with the hosts file or with the phone itself??

Thanks!
21st April 2010, 09:49 PM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member

107 posts
If you DO see the wifi redirect page at SOME locations, then the hosts file is not blocking it (wouldn't make sense as it's likely an intranet page anyway). Sounds like wifi reception is unstable on your phone.

This is getting off-topic, but..... Have you already updated your radio? (the part of the ROM that handles everything related to GSM/3G/WiFi/Bluetooth connections). If not, here for the latest radio update.zip - flash through recovery.
21st April 2010, 11:24 PM   |  #15  

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelox

If you DO see the wifi redirect page at SOME locations, then the hosts file is not blocking it (wouldn't make sense as it's likely an intranet page anyway). Sounds like wifi reception is unstable on your phone.

This is getting off-topic, but..... Have you already updated your radio? (the part of the ROM that handles everything related to GSM/3G/WiFi/Bluetooth connections). If not, or the latest radio update.zip - flash through recovery.

I should note that I'm using a Motorola Cliq...Handler 1.5 ROM. There is a radio update available for the Motorola Cliq (I'm currently using 1.3.18 and 1.4.8 has been released) but there are some apk incompatibilities with it (particularly Swype which I love...since it's in closed beta right now, there are no accessible updates for it unfortunately).

Since I bought my phone off of ebay, I can't send it back for a new one. The essential things work but it is a bit frustrating that it has some problems.
Last edited by tmayne; 22nd April 2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: EDIT: Reason for stalled "Starting download" is due to school's blockage of needed port
23rd April 2010, 04:34 PM   |  #16  

80 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmayne

I should note that I'm using a Motorola Cliq...Handler 1.5 ROM. There is a radio update available for the Motorola Cliq (I'm currently using 1.3.18 and 1.4.8 has been released) but there are some apk incompatibilities with it (particularly Swype which I love...since it's in closed beta right now, there are no accessible updates for it unfortunately).

Since I bought my phone off of ebay, I can't send it back for a new one. The essential things work but it is a bit frustrating that it has some problems.

I'm pretty sure that updating radio won't affect other softwares since "radio" is *just* the piece of code that can handle GSM/Wifi/BT/3G, ... signals
23rd April 2010, 08:27 PM   |  #17  
OP Senior Member

107 posts
I'll always keep an open mind, but from what I know, I'm with carbonyle on this.

Back on topic:

if you come across an app that still displays ad, regardless of my hosts file, please reply in this topic with the app/version (and a logcat output would be nice if you know how) and I'll see if I can find the ad provider domain and update the hosts file.
24th April 2010, 09:02 PM   |  #18  
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 294

1,420 posts
More
I'm confused... This is for blocking apps adds???
24th April 2010, 10:39 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by :No-Frost:

I'm confused... This is for blocking apps adds???

Yes it is. See it like a firewall wich blocks mobile ads. Because the app wont recieve any response from the ad url it tries to reach, it'll simply not display the ad (like when you use the app without wifi or data connextion on)
25th April 2010, 07:47 PM   |  #20  
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 294

1,420 posts
More
Wooooooo thanks... worked like a charm in glympse shazam and others =D...

PS: Air Control still have adds... Mmm how can we know what's the host for the add in the apps so we can contribute into blocking them???
Last edited by :No-Frost:; 25th April 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hosts block filter ads
Previous Thread Next Thread