Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,825 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Block ads on your Android phone (2010-04-15)

Tip us?

VerizonKoolaid
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Question FireStarter for android??

Is there an android gui IPtables app? to block ads servers by ip address where FQDN is not an option

FireStarter for android??
http://www.fs-security.com/

Nyaki
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry for the dumb question, but I assume the program have to run to block the ads, right? If I turn it on, the ads coming back?

ashok2ashok
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Wow, thanks a lot for this. Works like a charm. I even tried putting adsense into a sample app with your hosts file. Blocks perfectly

jinrake
Old
Thanks Meter 0
worked!! thanks

almondecks
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default adfree error

I keep getting this error, unable to locate a partition to remount to write the host file to. I don't know what to do. EVO 4G mikg 2.xx

thebrainkafka
Old
Thanks Meter 2002
Hi, I'm using an SGS+ (i9001) and either Ad-Free nor the manual pushing of the hosts file is giving success in blocking adds. Host file is in /etc folder and >800kb.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lucker
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi guys, this wonderful software using hosts file where someone place news website lenta.ru (russian website for news agency I read every day) with the last update. As far I'm completely newbie in android it took me about hour and half to find out why the website down, but working on my laptop. Finally I deleted the line with lenta.ru from hosts but I'm afraid it will be there with new update.

Is it possible to create some "white list" for the application to avoid editing hosts after every updates? I'd like to include in "white list" some other website, for instance gravatar.

gyverd
Old
(Last edited by gyverd; 6th November 2011 at 01:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Hi, I would like to not used adfree anymore. What should I do ?

I'm already uninstalling the application but it still blocked my ads. I can't access some ads that I need.

Note : In the host file still had many blocked links.

*Problem Solved

motopig
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Adfree improved my Angry Birds play on my sucky Spice to be a bit more tolerable, especially with Seasons.

Looking at some remaining ads I found that rovio1.appads.com also needs to be included in the hosts file, so it was not entirely perfect in blocking its ads. I added it manually to my hosts and the last bits of ads were gone.

In looking for this I also found that Angry Birds uses Burstly for its ads, which spews enough crap to plug up my logcat in a single run.

The good side is I only need to run it every so often to update the hosts file, then I can close it and leave it like that. Its built-in web server is entirely optional.

All in all, this is a must-have!

Dazze
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Nice thanks!

Tags
hosts block filter ads