Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 42,096 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL] 2.6.33.3 Nexus-Fireball-1.13GHZ-UV-21MB

Tip us?

Gr8gorilla
Old
(Last edited by Mikey; 14th August 2010 at 09:57 PM.) Reason: notified of what I mean by stock voltage.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103

DONATE TO ME
Default [KERNEL] 2.6.33.3 Nexus-Fireball-1.13GHZ-UV-21MB

TEAM n0ob FIRST RELEASE!

Ok after my OverClock How-To, I decided to play with overclocking and see what exactly can be gained from stock Max regulator Voltage (1.3v). I have found that at stock you can get up to around 1.13ghz. It is slightly faster than what pershoots kernel runs (38400khz).

As persiansown says, the standard stock voltage is set to 1275, and the regulator is maxed at 1.3v.

What Kind of gains will you see?

You will notice a difference in games like Asphalt, that use a lot processor. You will notice a decrease in battery life as well. Your linpack scores will vary from about 8.5-9.5 depending on your chip.

I have included pershoots undervolting, 21MB ramhack, and audio hack as well. Several optimizations, following in the footsteps of the Ivan/intersectRaven Kernels. (You could say we KANGED pershoot and just added two frequencies above his)

The frequencies in the kernel from 1113300-1152000 are at stock voltage(1.3v), and I have included the relevant source files. As such they "should" be safe. You never know though! The frequencies below this are Undervolted down to .925v!

This is using SLUB allocator and Deadline IO scheduler.
The recommendation of Team n0ob, is to use set CPU to set your phone to a frequency below 1.11ghz unless you need the extra power for something. Otherwise your battery life will suck and you will stress your processor for no reason.

This is confirmed working on CM-5.0.6-N1.

WARNING!!! THE LONG TERM EFFECTS OF OVERCLOCKING YOUR PROCESSOR CAN INCLUDE:
1. SHORTENED PROCESSOR LIFE

2. OVERHEATING

3. REDUCED BATTERY LIFE

4. BRICKED (IE DEAD DEVICES)

Mod edit: removed link, till source is link to kernel.

I ask that if you notice anything funny that you flash to a more tested kernel and notify this board immediately. This kernel is at stock voltage, but the increased speeds could have adverse effects. Please let us know if you notice any.

Team n0ob takes no responsibility for any damage that may occur to your device.

Credits: pershoot( thanks for the hard work), Kmobs (same), intersectRaven, Ivan (for beginning optimization trend), Rotohammer(experimental random/music/start fix), Cyanogen for awesome roms (whose source this is pulled from), chris soyars, and coolbho3000, Koush for the anykernel updater.

Team n0ob Testers: jlevey, DAMNiaTX Hell! (Thanks)

Gr8gorilla
Old
(Last edited by Gr8gorilla; 30th April 2010 at 02:59 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103

DONATE TO ME
Following pershoot, I recompiled the Kernel with VFPv3 Optimizations.

resync to 2.6.33.3, old wifi drivers as everyone has problems with the new ones.

Lowered minV to 925. maxV is still 1.3. Voltages are increased to 1.3 only on the 2 frequencies above pershoots 1.113ghz. The other frequencies are undervolted similar to the Kmobs and or the Pershoot values.

Eclair~
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Well, by "lowering processor life", how exactly long will my processor last? Does it depend on my phone? My uses? Im all in it for overclocking, and im very aware of said risk.. But processor life I'm not educated in..

Geniusdog254
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 166

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclair~ View Post
Well, by "lowering processor life", how exactly long will my processor last? Does it depend on my phone? My uses? Im all in it for overclocking, and im very aware of said risk.. But processor life I'm not educated in..
Not drastic. Not concrete figures but I've heard figures like instead of something like maybe 6 years, you may get 4-5 years. The processors are designed to last so long that even things that harm them typically still leave them outlasting the upgrade cycle of the user. It depends on the silicon in your phone as well.

Also, Gr8Gorrilla, does this include CM's latest commits from a day or two ago that fixes the pink cam tint issue?
Follow me on Twitter @Geniusdog254

If you like my work, please buy one of my apps on the Market or donate!
  • Reflex-A-Tron - A colorful, addicting, & fun game to test yourself & challenge friends for only $.99!
  • Search2Play - Control your music with your device's buttons!
  • Task'd - A beautiful to-do list app!

Phones:
Android Dev Phone 1 - Dec. '08
Rogers HTC Dream - Sept. '09
AT&T Nexus One - March '10
Motorola Droid - Apr. '10
HTC Evo - Jun. '10
HTC Evo 3D - Jun. '11
Sprint Galaxy Nexus - May '12

Gr8gorilla
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103

DONATE TO ME
No telling really. It shouldn't be much different than stock. However, as soon as I say that someone will install this brick the phone and blame me. So I am using it and I have a two year contract with T-mobile, I figure it should make it that far.

This is basically pershoots kernel plus 38400 khz. (pershoot in no way endorses this kernel). Take that for what it is worth. The top three voltages 1113, 1132, & 1152, are at stock voltage (1.3v).

Gr8gorilla
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103

DONATE TO ME
I resynced my repo last night before compiling this.

jlevy73
Old
Thanks Meter 1,284
Damn nice kernel is all I have to say

Geniusdog254
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 166

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8gorilla View Post
I resynced my repo last night before compiling this.
Ok thanks! Definitely flashing this now!
Follow me on Twitter @Geniusdog254

If you like my work, please buy one of my apps on the Market or donate!
  • Reflex-A-Tron - A colorful, addicting, & fun game to test yourself & challenge friends for only $.99!
  • Search2Play - Control your music with your device's buttons!
  • Task'd - A beautiful to-do list app!

Phones:
Android Dev Phone 1 - Dec. '08
Rogers HTC Dream - Sept. '09
AT&T Nexus One - March '10
Motorola Droid - Apr. '10
HTC Evo - Jun. '10
HTC Evo 3D - Jun. '11
Sprint Galaxy Nexus - May '12

persiansown
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 718
Stock voltage is actually 1.275v. The processor is, however, rated to handle 1.3v (it was originally going to ship at 1.3v, but qualcomm decided to have it ship at 1.275v instead)
I do CyanogenMod stuff.

Circle me on Google+

Eclair~
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8gorilla View Post
No telling really. It shouldn't be much different than stock. However, as soon as I say that someone will install this brick the phone and blame me. So I am using it and I have a two year contract with T-mobile, I figure it should make it that far.

This is basically pershoots kernel plus 38400 khz. (pershoot in no way endorses this kernel). Take that for what it is worth. The top three voltages 1113, 1132, & 1152, are at stock voltage (1.3v).
I also am on a 2 year contract with TMobile, hopefully mine last that long also. Might as well flash this, blah..

Tags
#kernelkangin, kernel, overclock
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe