it replaces the standard "connect the dots" behavior with pin-like mechanism. patterns can be arbitrarily large, and nodes can be repeated. also, there are no numbers -- just circles. definitely not for everyone, but i think some people may like it.
here's how it works:
if you want to try it you must have CM 5.0.6 installed, then:
1. reboot to bootloader
2. nandroid backup <-- do it. seriously. just in case.
3. flash avlock[x].zip
5. if you don't have a lock pattern already, set one: Home > Menu > Settings > Location and Security > Set Unlock Pattern
q: what happens if something goes really wrong and i can't log in?
a: i've been tweaking this mod for a long time and you shouldn't have any problems. BUT IF YOU DO:
* restore from nandroid backup made in step 2 above
* if you know how to use adb, just delete the file pattern file and reboot:
adb shell rm /data/system/gesture.key
adb shell reboot
q: what files are replaced by the patch?
a: framework.jar, framework-res.apk, android.policy.jar, Settings.apk
q: why not just distribute this as a simple .apk file?
a: this is a system-level mod because it replaces system-level components. it cannot be distributed as an .apk.
* initial release
* added tactile feedback
* reduced login delay
* disabling "Use visible pattern" works now
* better integration with system and Settings.
* re-added drag lock option.
* added the ability to specify a pattern timeout
use at your own risk. i am not responsible for any damages caused by this software. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP FIRST!
caution: if you update your rom, install a theme, or flash another mod that replaces framework.jar, framework-res.apk, or android.framework.jar, you may not be able to log in upon reboot (or even spin into a boot loop). either (1) make sure you disable your lock screen before flashing or (2) rm gesture.key as described in the faq!
avlock: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=202 (thanks, pershoot)