5,605,519 Members 45,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

permanently delete text messages!

Tip us?

chronic86
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default permanently delete text messages!

is there any way to permanently delete text messages.. so for instance if my phone was was sold on there was no way they could recover the data from it ?

loggy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Why, what you up to ??

I think a master reset would wipe it but I guess everything on the phone is still in memory but not accessable through normal means but if the CIA wanted to they'd give it to a data recovery company and get files back from ram like you can recover deleted flash files as long as they are not overwritten.

Though I dont realy know, just guessin.

If its real important then a big hammer always works

yetep
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Default Re: permanently delete text messages!

are you mental? texts are deleted permanently when you press delete. in fact, the entire thread of texts is. go on, try it. delete a text & try to get it back...

Sent from my X10i using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

Flamso
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetep View Post
are you mental? texts are deleted permanently when you press delete. in fact, the entire thread of texts is. go on, try it. delete a text & try to get it back...

What? No. Do you even know how deletion works on any normal device today? It stays in memory until it's overwritten with something else. And even then it's possible to recreate the data.
Current phone: Sony Ericsson X10i 'Sensuous Black'
A few old phones (in order from newest to oldest): SE X1i, SE 770i, SE P1i, SE W800i,SE P900i, SE P800i.

im_iceman
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:

it doesn't work like that.. the data will still be there.. it's just removed from the index so you can't get it through the normal user interface.... you'd need to do a full format of the intenal memory and then rebuild the phone system.. probably possible but I'm not interested enough to look for a solution!

chronic86
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by loggy View Post
Why, what you up to ??

so you think a fatory reset or a rom flash would do this?

Quote:
as stated if some 1 has the right software then can retrieve anything from your phone!

chronic86
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Why, what you up to ??

so you think a factory reset/rom flash would sort it out

Quote:
as stated if some 1 has the right software then can retrieve anything from your phone!

loggy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
You have raised a valid point regarding sensitive data on mobile devices, Its just like your PC but in your pocket.
Ive never sold a pc but if I did I think I would destroy the drives just in case. The same could be said for these phones with their gig of flash storing all your passwords, emails, texts, online banking details, ebay account details, paypal .. etc... Ok Im being a little paranoid here but its getting that way.

A security data wiper/writer could be a good app to develop.

Flamso
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
You have raised a valid point regarding sensitive data on mobile devices, Its just like your PC but in your pocket.
Ive never sold a pc but if I did I think I would destroy the drives just in case. The same could be said for these phones with their gig of flash storing all your passwords, emails, texts, online banking details, ebay account details, paypal .. etc... Ok Im being a little paranoid here but its getting that way.

I don't think you're paranoid. You have a valid point there! The amount of information we have that is critically personal is enormous! I never sell my phones to people outside my family and I probably never will.
Current phone: Sony Ericsson X10i 'Sensuous Black'
A few old phones (in order from newest to oldest): SE X1i, SE 770i, SE P1i, SE W800i,SE P900i, SE P800i.

chronic86
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:

you can get a program called kill disk for a pc which will totaly wipe all data from drive so nothing can be recovered! am sure it would be possible to do it for a mobile but as on pc you will need to reinstall your OS which in x10 case would be andriod.