Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,462 Members 43,966 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Running Maemo 5 on Android hardware

Tip us?

smokku
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52

DONATE TO ME
Question Running Maemo 5 on Android hardware

Could anyone answer my few questions to help me get a grip whether the idea is feasible?

* How different is Android kernel from standard Linux (ie. Maemo) kernel?
* Is most of the hardware abstraction handled by Linux kernel, or the Dalvik VM internals and library?
* Is the kernel accessible? Ie. can I supplant my own init script and run custom binary in place of Dalvik?
* Is the Android hardware hackable? Ie. can I get direct access to the root partition and put custom content in?

I'm asking because I would like to get a better piece of hardware than N900 (namely HTC EVO 4G) and port Maemo 5 (ie. Mer) on it. But if Android hardware is a closed black box, I won't bother.
I don't have experience with Android (I like Maemo so much better) and I wouldn't like to spent a lot of money on hardware I could not hack.
smoku @xiaoka.com (SMTP/XMPP)
JP-1301 N950 DL-T01

dudyk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Some android hardware is more open to changes, such as google's devloper phone.
People have managed to run Debian GNU/Linux on the nexus one, but not all the hardware is functional as of now.
There are some binary only libraries and drivers for some vendors, meaning you might not be able to use all of the hardware.

I do believe it is possible to port the Maemo OS on the nexus one, and I would love to try it if you gain momentum on this.

Unfortunately I do not know Maemo OS enough to be of any assistance apart from telling you that Android use a standard ARM Linux kernel with some modules added to enable the special IPC that Dalvik uses.

Byte_76
Old
Thanks Meter 3
As the owner of an N900, I would love to see this project gain momentum. I don't dislike the N900 hardware, it is actually quite decent but I would prefer a smaller, thinner and lighter phone with a capacitive screen.

Maybe MeeGo is the other option to consider since that OS will be designed much more in the open which would possibly make it easier to port to various devices. (Keep an eye on the meego website for the May release, which will be the first release with UX)

Byte_76
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Also, my brother owns a Nexus One by my recommendation so porting Maemo to his phone would be great. (Unfortunately I'm not a developer so I would rely on this forum for a guide)

smokku
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52

DONATE TO ME
I am considering getting Nexus One. As I understand it supports messing with rootfs without restrictions. (Of course you loose warranty this way.)
JP-1301 N950 DL-T01

smokku
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte_76 View Post
Keep an eye on the meego website for the May release, which will be the first release with UX.
Starting with MeeGo base is a viable option.
But the upcoming UX release will be a direct port of current Moblin UI. Maemo is a different beast.
And I am against Maemo 6 migration to Qt, so I would like to stick with current Maemo 5.
JP-1301 N950 DL-T01

Byte_76
Old
Thanks Meter 3
With Maemo 5 being a fully functional OS I think it makes sense to try to port it directly first, however if that doesn't work then MeeGo might be another option.

smokku
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52

DONATE TO ME
After some research I found that nor Qualcomm MSM7200A, nor Samsung S3C6410 chips have open 3D driver available.
Since Maemo 5 UI requires working OpenGL ES acceleration for its desktop and window management, I guess this project is in a dead-end until I find viable platform for experimentation.
JP-1301 N950 DL-T01

Byte_76
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Maybe Mer is another option:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=565480

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=626287

http://mer-project.blogspot.com/2010...redshirts.html

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer

smokku
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52

DONATE TO ME
Without Maemo 5 visual effects it's soooooo stone age, that I don't really care for.
JP-1301 N950 DL-T01

Tags
android, hacking, htc, maemo