5,600,919 Members 42,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Kernel Test] Doing a blind study for UV. Kernels sent. Read for instructions.

Tip us?

persiansown
Old
(Last edited by persiansown; 3rd May 2010 at 11:27 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 718
Default [Kernel Test] Doing a blind study for UV. Kernels sent. Read for instructions.

Ever since I first released an undervolted kernel (can you believe that it actually used to be a new idea? Seems so normal now), its been a mad dash to see how much further down the voltage can be pushed. In light of recent events, there has been controversy regarding whether or not dropping below ~925mV actually begins to negatively impact battery life.

Without getting into the technical details behind why I believe that going that low actually does affect battery life, I'm conducting a blind study. I'm going to produce 3 kernels at three different voltages. I'm then going to send these kernels randomly to people that sign up on the attached spreadsheet in order to collect data for 7 days.

I know that this won't be 100% accurate, but I feel that if we get a large enough sample size, over 7 days, the general trend should emerge.

What I ask for you to do if you want to participate is sign up on the attached spreadsheet and try not to change your rom/usage patterns within these 7 days. Just go about your day and record your values at the end.

You will not know what the voltage of the kernel you are receiving is, so there will have to be a certain degree of trust. I promise I will do my best to not blow up your phone

This truly has to be a community effort. The more people we have, the better. Once the study has been concluded, I will reveal which kernel had the best battery life for the most amount of people.

Please spread the word about this, the more it is on blogs and the like, the greater the sample size and the more accurate the results.

Link: http://bit.ly/9YjM5X

UPDATE:
The kernels have all be emailed to people that gave me an email address. Tues-Sat, please run the kernel that is labeled CONTROL. Do not alter your day to day usage from what you always do. At the end of each day please record how long you were off charger and your percent battery left. Use your best judgement for giving statistics. The more detailed, the better.
Sunday-Thurs we will run the TEST kernel. Again do the same thing and record your usage daily.

It is VITAL that you record the statistics at the end of the day every day.

As an added bonus, I included the memory modification by coolbho3k because I know you all want the latest and greatest
I do CyanogenMod stuff.

Circle me on Google+

Four Fourty Four
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Will it matter what battery we have? Or is stock battery required?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phones: HTC One XL
LG Nexus 4

persiansown
Old
Thanks Meter 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Fourty Four View Post
Will it matter what battery we have? Or is stock battery required?
doesn't matter as long as you post your previous results so we have something to base it against.
I do CyanogenMod stuff.

Circle me on Google+

Daswolven
Old
Thanks Meter 134
This is a fantastic idea. Might actually help me recover from my kernel flashing compulsion. Prolly not though....
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Devices
___
HTC One - Current
HTC DNA
Motorola RAZR Maxx
HTC Rezound
HTC Droid Incredible 2
HTC Thunderbolt
Samsung Galaxy Fascinate
HTC Google Nexus One
HTC G1

jblazea50
Old
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Persiansown, what do you mean by "record your values at the end"? Are we to take a log of battery usage or just writing down on the sheet what the usage was like each day?

thanks

persiansown
Old
Thanks Meter 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblazea50 View Post
Persiansown, what do you mean by "record your values at the end"? Are we to take a log of battery usage or just writing down on the sheet what the usage was like each day?

thanks
Its going to be subjective but I'm trying to figure out the best way to record them right now. I don't need any feedback values until I actually send out the kernels though
I do CyanogenMod stuff.

Circle me on Google+

jblazea50
Old
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by persiansown View Post
Its going to be subjective but I'm trying to figure out the best way to record them right now. I don't need any feedback values until I actually send out the kernels though
yeah, i understand that it's not needed until after we start using the kernel; just wanted to know what you were actually looking for, and if it wasn't subjective

thanks and looking forward to this

adam18488
Old
Thanks Meter 2
im really interested in this. would it also be possible to give feedback on reception? because as of late my signal has been worse with all the uv kernels...
Main: HTC Desire Z

Retired 10/12/2010: Nexus One
----------------------------------------------
Brotherhood is an obligation, not a choice

www.twitter.com/AdamNawaz

pjcforpres
Old
Thanks Meter 15
How are we going to set the baseline? The best way to eliminate the potential for usage differences to skew the results is for us to all run the exact same kernel for X amount of time to set a baseline, then do the blind test of the 3 different kernels, and compare the difference between before and after.
Current:
Me: LG Thrill, rooted, et al
Wife: Infuse, slaps my hand away before I can root it...

persiansown
Old
Thanks Meter 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcforpres View Post
How are we going to set the baseline? The best way to eliminate the potential for usage differences to skew the results is for us to all run the exact same kernel for X amount of time to set a baseline, then do the blind test of the 3 different kernels, and compare the difference between before and after.
Yeah I've been trying to think of a way that would take less time, but I think that way would be best. Anyone have a better suggestion?
I do CyanogenMod stuff.

Circle me on Google+