Desk clock application

Search This thread

shark0807

Dec 2, 2009
Columbus
In my job I have the opportunity to work with a large variety of phones that multiple carriers in the United States sell. One interesting feature I saw was on the Blackberry Curve 8500 series, in which when you plug your phone into a USB device, it automatically goes to an analog clock screen.

I know that in 2.1 ROMs for the Hero, we have a nice program called Desk clock, which shows a digital clock moving to random parts of the screen.

My question is, is there a way to configure Desk Clock so that it automatically turns on when I plug my phone into my computer?

MrMooh

Apr 18, 2010
There you go

I built a little something for you.
For now, it is really just a prototype.
If installing works and you open it, it will show nothing. This is not a bug, there is just nothing to show. The service listening for power plugins is running in the background, so just hit home and ignore it.
It will try to launch the android 2.1 clock first and then the HTC one when you connect the power supply.

I'll try to give it some kind of UI later, but for now, I've got a train to catch. Have fun with it.

Attachments

• DeskClockPowerMonitor.apk
    15 KB · Views: 774

kyods

Mar 4, 2007
Thanks a lot, MrMooh! I'll test it once I get back from work and post the results.

kyods

Mar 4, 2007
It works like a charm. It seems it calls the HTC Clock application, not this dedicated 'Desk Clock' app from 2.1, but it's even better for me. Awesome work, thank you so very much, MrMooh. :)

EDIT:
Is there a way to make this service run at startup in background?

Last edited:

MrMooh

Apr 18, 2010
I'll look into it. I already have an improved version, but it's not what I'd be proud to release. Perhaps at the end of this weekend I will have it finished.

kyods

Mar 4, 2007
Thanks. I'll be more than happy to do the beta-testing.

Sent from my Hero using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

keridel

Jan 8, 2009
portsmouth
I would be interested in this too. Seems like a fine idea. I can beta test if need be.

Sent from my Hero using the power of thought!

MrMooh

Apr 18, 2010
Alright guys, I quickly made a new version this morning.
It should actually start automatically after booting up and you have a button to manually start and stop the service.
Try it out and tell me the bugs ;)

Attachments

16.7 KB · Views: 648

kyods

Mar 4, 2007
Works perfectly. If there are any bugs - I can't find them. Thanks, once again.

shark0807

Dec 2, 2009
Columbus
Alright guys, I quickly made a new version this morning.
It should actually start automatically after booting up and you have a button to manually start and stop the service.
Try it out and tell me the bugs ;)

Mr. Mooh, thank you for this!

Edit: Only thing I'm noticing is I can't change the weather to Fahrenheit, but that's excusable.

Last edited:

watercool

Apr 18, 2010
or use tasker (tasker.dinglisch.net), there you can choose to start the app you want when usb / dock plugged and 1000 other features :) (location based, event based a.s.o...)

D

Deleted member 2182971

Works great, this was one of the few things I missed about my BlackBerry! MyTouch 1.2 running Cyan 5.07 test 2.

yellowt

Mar 18, 2010
Nice app! Is possible to start the real desk clock ( black screen with time in white ) ? The one that starts with the icon with the pc and the clock...

DmitriyKRiM

May 5, 2010
München
Great!

The app is for comfort! Great! Thanx!
But I have one comment:
It could be super when the screen goes back to main home screen (not deskclock) after unplugging. It`s just a thing of personal comfort, so maybe somebody can support this.

Thanx again!

MrMooh

Apr 18, 2010
New version

I just fired up eclipse and added a few lines. Plugging out the cable will now always get you back to the home screen, no matter what application is running, so don't update if you don't like that behavior.

I could theoretically start the "real" desk clock, but I don't really know what intent to start to make it work. If you find it out, tell me and I will add the option.

PS: Tasker looks like a really good app, thanks for showing me.

Attachments

17 KB · Views: 372