[Guide] Root, unroot your HTC Desire + Mirrors - Via Modaco
Before reading any further:
Carry out at your own risk. It is unlikely but it is possible to brick your phone.
Please use the official mirrors before using the Rapidshare ones. These are on the modaco thread found here
I didn't make these instructions, I have only displayed in full the original version (not the most up to date) as it is easier for those who already have a mac or a linux machine running!
This WILL remove any branded ROM, i.e no orange/tmobile logo when you boot
. This might be great for some but just to warn anyone who wants to keep it!
If you have a bootloader version 0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x or below -
if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below -
Part 1R3 Instructions
R1 - Original Guide does not require live cd
R1 is the original version and might be easier for some of you
To be ready for the guide, download the following items...
Rapidshare as Modaco links no longer work! (please post any other mirrors)
Do not unzip the rootedupdate.zip!
- the 'rooted update' & the 'push files' - Download
- the 'test ruu' - Download
- Push files single download here
Once you have those on your machine, you're ready to start!
Follow through these steps, one by one and at the end of it you'll have a rooted Desire with the latest ROM.
Note: This process will wipe your device and there is currently no option to backup your device ROM before you start.
- Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!)
- Copy the 'rooted update' you downloaded above to the root of your SD card, before replacing it into your device.
- Turn off your HTC desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box.
- Connect the phone to your computer, then run the 'test ruu' that you downloaded above (it may take a short while to start). Let the update complete and turn your device off as soon as it reaches the configuration wizard. If you need USB drivers, you can find them as part of the HTC Sync install.
- Your device should now be off. Unplug the device from your computer. Turn it on again while holding down the 'volume down' button this time. The screen will look similar to before, but will say 'HBOOT' instead of 'FASTBOOT'. Use the volume buttons and the power button to select the 'RECOVERY' option. You should then see a screen with a red triangle - at this point, plug it into your Linux or OSX computer.
- Now you need to unzip the 'push files' zip that you downloaded above. When you have done so, you'll see a file called 'recovery-linux.sh' or 'recovery-mac.sh'. Run the one appropriate to your operating system and the screen of your device should change to display the green recovery image menu.
- In the recovery image (moving around using the optical trackball), select 'Wipe -> Wipe data /factory reset' then 'Flash zip from sdcard' and choose the rooted update. Confirm with the trackball and the update process will begin. It'll take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea.
- When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!
Optional update zips
Apply this updates after rooting by copying to sdcard any applying from the recovery image (entered using the recovery-xxx.sh method).
A2SD - Mirror unavailable
32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 Radio update (from Asia 1.19.707.6 update) - Mirror unavailable
His instructions here
Want to UNroot your phone?
Guide on modaco on how to do that too, here