Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 48,897 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

android 2.1, Japanese support or not?

Tip us?

sjaak1234
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default android 2.1, Japanese support or not?

Hi there,

I've been trying to find a definitive answer for this some time now but I can't seem to find one.

Does android 2.1 support a japanese IME? If I use google it tells me this: http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.1.html

Which means that there is a Japanese IME. Atleast there is one for devs... But when I get my HTC Legend from Europe will it also come with the IME and keyboard installed? I know that in case its not there are some keyboards on the market but what I've seen on it they don't seem to be that good. Or could a app like more locale trick anroid into displaying the keyboard?

Ultimate Chicken
Old
(Last edited by Ultimate Chicken; 1st May 2010 at 04:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 21
If I remember correctly the japanese IME from the Japanese Magic set is floating about.
Do a search for iWnnIME. (Note: no font replacement necessary, the Droid Fallback font has Japanese inside)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=526085
http://my.opera.com/wiz/blog/2009/06...ime-on-android (this seems to work on my unit, don't know about you...)

Note that this does NOT fix a bug that's been around since 1.6 that affects your music player. The Android Media Scanner software doesn't handle non-English characters correctly, and hasn't done so for, um, ever.
Move "sig". For great justice.

==Currently Using:==
Galaxy S2 i9100 OmniRom Nightly 0106 / Dorimanx 10.43v60 beta
Galaxy Camera EK-110 (stock rooted) (It only ever came with 4.1.2 so.)
Ouya (stock rooted) (it only ever came with 4.1.2 so.)

==Formerly Using:==
Liquid Community ROM 1.4 (Acer Liquid)
O2 XDA Atom WM6.1 Kuruma Final
HTC Touch Elf Opal Ultimate 3.2.1
LG KS20 Kiss20.4

sjaak1234
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Yes I found that site too. But it seemed I found a older article as the one I read before said you had to have a rooted device. Now the legend is also rooted but still... it wasnt when I first read it

I dont have my legend yet, it should be coming next week so I don't really understand what I have to do yet (I suppose I just have to boot the sdk app on the phone and type in the commands?) but I'm sure that will become more clear when I got the phone.

eduncan911
Old
Thanks Meter 23
*bump*

Before ordering the Sprint HTC EVO, I would like to know this too.

djiandunn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default simeji

search the Market for an app called simeji, its a full IME with a bunch of options, my g/f loves it!

eduncan911
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by djiandunn View Post
search the Market for an app called simeji, its a full IME with a bunch of options, my g/f loves it!
Awesome! That worked perfectly! FYI, for those that find this thread later on, there are many apps that come up when you search on "Simeji". At the very top should be two exact matches:

Simeji
Simeji Classic

Both have a mushroom icon.

The "Classic" version is for Andriod 1.5. The non-Classic version is for Andriod 1.6 and later.

I installed it on Andriod 2.1 today, and it worked great! Has great instructions after you install it.
Samsung Galaxy S4 on Ting : CM10.1 w/MMS working on Ting
Google Galaxy Nexus on Ting : CM10.1 + Franco's Virus

Ting $25 credit with my referral: https://zc7c9715lq2.ting.com/

RIP:
- HTC Arrive CDMA: First to brave it and install an Sandisk 32 GB Class 2 - worked flawlessly!
- HTC Hero CDMA: While unboxing, first thing done was to root it and load a custom ROM. Activation first? Please...
- HTC Touch Pro CDMA: Loaded up WM 6.5 stock ROM <- The way Microsoft intended WM 6.5 to be!

sjaak1234
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Yes I installed it too and its pretty good. But sometimes the hauptic feedback doesnt work perfectly when typing and I don't like how there doesnt seem to be a option to hide the keyboard.