How To NinjaMorph

Search This thread

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
So I recently released a new app for theming and modifying apks and jars right from the phone, this app is called NinjaMorph.

Here I am just going to explain how to use NinjaMorph as per request from those that have the app.

NinjaMorph was made so that we could more easily make changes to the system apks and jar files from our phones without needing to apply a packaged theme or hook our phones up to the computer.

In order to use NinjaMorph you will need Busybox installed, cp properly symlinked, and at least 20mb of space of your SD card.

When you first open the app you will see three buttons at the bottom.

The first is "New Project", which is the one your going to start with.

Select "New Project" and navigate to an apk or .jar file of your choice, excluding apps that need to be signed like Market apps.

A good example would be for you to go to "System" > "framework" > "framework-res.apk"

The app will then extract the contents of the apk, as well as making a backup of it on your sdcard "/sdcard/AndroidThemes/backup/"

After its done it will ask you to pick a file to change, navigate to "res" > then a drawable folder with images in it.

Once there you should see all the images there in that folder, select one and it will ask you to pick one to replace it with, NinjaMorph will rename the file you pick to replace it to the appropriate name.

After that just keep changing things until you've done everything you'd like to do.

If you have an existing project you can use the "existing Project" button to continue where you left off.

If your done with your project and you want to apply the changes, Choose the "Finish Project" button and select which project you want to finish, NinjaMorph will do its thing and thats it.

Note that after making some changes you may need to reboot to see the changes made.

Anymore questions, ask away.

mejorguille

Dec 14, 2009
Florida
Wow this seems pretty great! good work Stericson!
I will try it to change around a few files in CM5 for the G1.

zimphishmonger

Jun 4, 2009
Loving it, the next step would be to select multiple files to replace, and then have it either chose a directory to find the replacements, or individually select the replacements one at a time.

its like theming has been revolutionized.....again :D

Thanks! Just made theming on-the-run possible...I'm screwed now, gonna be playing w/ my theme everywhere, where as before I had to be at my home computer ;)

SpyderMS

Feb 12, 2009
El Mirage, AZ
I'm not sure how this lets you theme your phone without a computer... don't you need a computer to create the new graphics that you're using to replace the old graphics?

schtuka

Aug 18, 2009
Chicago
So, I could potentially change Blue color on Power Widget to green by using this? Provided that I have necessary Settings.apk on SD card or those PNGs have to be extracted to a folder? Am I getting this right?
Or change icon for particular application?

Last edited:

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
You know you can copy multiple files at once right? Use the copy button.

komradefox

May 2, 2010
if i move a .apk i got from the market into the /system/app folder and install it from there, will i not have to worry about resigning it?

Foxwolfe

Nov 18, 2009
Seattle
One issue that I'm seeing currently is that the app will FC if I try to delete a project after having applied it.

wallaby311

Jun 16, 2009
App not working

I tried to morph the Helix2...would this be one of the signed apps you cannot morph with ninjamorph? BTW I love the app!

nowo

Apr 8, 2010
Wolkersdorf
Tried to replace some .9 png's from ADW launcher for 1.6. got a black screen after reboot.
Changing pics on other apk's is working.

The start checks are done again and again. Is this a an issue of my phone software?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I recently released a new app for theming and modifying apks and jars right from the phone, this app is called NinjaMorph.

Here I am just going to explain how to use NinjaMorph as per request from those that have the app.

NinjaMorph was made so that we could more easily make changes to the system apks and jar files from our phones without needing to apply a packaged theme or hook our phones up to the computer.

In order to use NinjaMorph you will need Busybox installed, cp properly symlinked, and at least 20mb of space of your SD card.

When you first open the app you will see three buttons at the bottom.

The first is "New Project", which is the one your going to start with.

Select "New Project" and navigate to an apk or .jar file of your choice, excluding apps that need to be signed like Market apps.

A good example would be for you to go to "System" > "framework" > "framework-res.apk"

The app will then extract the contents of the apk, as well as making a backup of it on your sdcard "/sdcard/AndroidThemes/backup/"

After its done it will ask you to pick a file to change, navigate to "res" > then a drawable folder with images in it.

Once there you should see all the images there in that folder, select one and it will ask you to pick one to replace it with, NinjaMorph will rename the file you pick to replace it to the appropriate name.

After that just keep changing things until you've done everything you'd like to do.

If you have an existing project you can use the "existing Project" button to continue where you left off.

If your done with your project and you want to apply the changes, Choose the "Finish Project" button and select which project you want to finish, NinjaMorph will do its thing and thats it.

Note that after making some changes you may need to reboot to see the changes made.

Anymore questions, ask away.
    Copy files button

What the heck does the copy files button do I saw where Stericcson told someone it was for doing multiple items but anytime I try it says no files found once I navigate to the folder where the actual images are. Anybody have the same prob or know what I'm doing wrong? I love this app but it took 2 days to do framework_res_apk LOL.

EDIT: The copy files button. When images you are replacing are already named properly use the COPY FILES button, navigate to the folder where the images are and long press on that folder [e.g. drawable-mdpi] if you actually press the folder with the images it will just say "no files" so stop before you open it and longpress then press select directory now you will be in a multi-select enviroment navigate to your replacement images pressing the checkbox for each one but remember using this method your replacement images must be named properly. Ninjamorph will re-name the images correctly only when you are doing them one at a time not when using the copy files action. I really hope people trying to use the COPY FILES button will read this WHAT TOOK ME HOURS I DO IN MINUTES LITERALLY!
    What's the difference between this app and MetaMorph?

With Ninja you would for example download several metamorph themes and un zip on your sdcard then use only the parts of each theme you desire. If you want I could write a walk through for the advanced feature of copy files its hard to figure out on your own and it saves lots of time.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    JohnCorleone said:
    Can someone please help me here? i just want to change the pulldown toggles from green to blue ans my dialer call button to blue as well. TIA

The toggles would be in the systemUI.apk goto new project in ninja then select system then app click on the systemUI.apk and it will unzip it. Goto res/drawable-hdpi then find the png you want to change and longpress it choose edit and use the sliders to change the color make sure you click your menu button and save after each png edit. If you mess it up click reset and it will put the png back to default. Once you have all the pngs changed backout to the ninja homescreen (if you get a forceclose dont worry it will save your work just restart ninja) select finish project then choose systemUI choose yes to the first 2 popups then no to the 3rd. The status bar will prob forceclose just reboot and your changes should be applied
    carbon coupe said:
    Ok, great guide right here. But, when I do this, not modifying, picking another image all together, it doesnt show the new image and doesnt change it when I complete the project. I changed the battery and the signal bars but the 3G and 4G symbols wont have it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You need to move the images you want to use into the Androidthemes folder that ninja uses with a file manager. Then go back and use ninja.