Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,031 Members 44,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Improving battery life

Tip us?

rome425
Old
(Last edited by rome425; 5th May 2010 at 02:11 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Improving battery life

Has anyone tried this on Nexus One?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=670999

"GSM auto (PRL)" works on AT&T Nexus, I don't know if it improves the battery life over "WCDMA preferred"

***EDIT***

Looks like this process works by improving battery life when phone is idle. Here are the instructions from the first original post.

Quote:
1) Goto dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#* (DO NOT press send)
wait a second and you will get the test menu.
2) In the test menu choose 'Phone Information'
3) scroll down and choose on the first drop down - GSM auto (PRL) (for high speed data) or GSM only (You may get 3g if not use GSM auto (PRL)) Don't know what PRL means, but GSM auto (PRL) allows High speed data HSDPA (it was previously on GSM/CDMA auto(PRL) I think.)
4) Back all the way out.
5) You might want to reboot, but I found the settings worked straight away.
Edit 3 - I don't take any responsibility for step 6 -
6) Try other settings on the dropdown if you are brave as I don't know the consequencies of using settings like "EvDo only" and "unknown" as they may be better depending on the way your provider provides information.

Edit 4 - can't seem to select the other settings like EvDo and unkown anyway.

Edit 3 - TBH - GSM auto (PRL) is working for me with HSDPA and I will try (PRL) instead of GSM auto (PRL) <- edit - previously it mistakenly said GSM only the CDMA and WCDMA settings later to see what other effects there are.
Results for HTC Hero:

Quote:
Your results will vary depending on the rom, but it should improve battery performance - some have had better results than me using this.

GSM only <---- If you don't get 3g with this it is the same as 2g setting then use GSM auto (PRL) if you want faster than 2g (as some people are getting 3g on GSM only - I will investigate. (if you don't use internet or don't need fast internet)
5½ Hrs - lost 5% Battery - This one is same as running 2g as you don't get HSDPA, but using Opera browser makes browsing fast even using this. If you want Higher speed data use the one below.

GSM auto (PRL) <---- Recommended if you want High speed Internet and save battery
1:40am to 2:00pm (12hrs 20 mins) - lost 40% battery with moderate use a bit of surfing at HSDPA speeds, a few calls and messing with a few apps. Other people have had even better results than me though, so I might change my rom and try again. (I would usually about this amount of time I would have lost about 70-75% - and yes it was that ridiculous - I had to find something to stop this).

" WCDMA Only"
2:06pm to 11:37pm - (9hrs 31mins) lost 46% battery again moderate use and a reboot
This one might be useful if you live in a place that has low GSM signal like the chap in post #10 as it does give HSDPA - but this is only a suggestion as I cannot test it in Iceland. Anyway

" WCDMA preferred"
6:02am to 2:51pm - (8hr 49mins) lost 41% battery this time with less use that the WCDMA use and no reboots.

miketlo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'll give it a try

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 396
i read the first page, what exactly does "PRL" stand for? and isnt this just using GSM-only? how is it able to use gsm but then switch to HSDPA (3g) for data? i didnt think that was possible.

masse1369
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I have been doing that for a long time and I'm pretty sure it helps...

Just set it to WCDMA only and you are all set...
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3

Retired
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
T-Mobile HTC Sensation
T-Mobile myTouch 4G
T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant
T-Mobile Nexus One
T-Mobile G1
(All Rooted)

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Default Re: Improving battery life

well I think this really might help. I changed it to gsm auto (PRL) and my phone still uses 3g and my battery only dropped 2% in an hour and 10 min. went from 86 to 84% which it used to drop like 6% in That same time period.

I have to do more testing though to really know for sure.
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch

apolloms
Old
Thanks Meter 5
mine was on WCDMA preferred....will i lose anything by switching to GSM AUTO (PRL)?

veldargk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Giving this a whirl. When I'm at home and at work I'm on wifi which, combined, is like 90% of the time the phone is running so not sure how much it will affect me, but lets see

Jim
Motorola Atrix 4G
• Stock

RETIRED
---------------
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
• Axura ROM

BlackBerry Torch 9800

iPhone 4

Nexus One
•Froyo 2.2
•Amon_RA's Recovery v1.7.0

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Default Re: Improving battery life

Quote:
mine was on WCDMA preferred....will i lose anything by switching to GSM AUTO (PRL)?
you won't lose anything from my testing so far. full 3g still works and my data speeds are over 1.5 Mbps.

my theory is that this stops our phone from constantly searching for a roaming partner/network. if true ATT has no roaming agreements so who cares.
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch

apolloms
Old
(Last edited by apolloms; 4th May 2010 at 04:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
you won't lose anything from my testing so far. full 3g still works and my data speeds are over 1.5 Mbps.

my theory is that this stops our phone from constantly searching for a roaming partner/network. if true ATT has no roaming agreements so who cares.
it seemed to not allow me to download anything from the app market

edit: it just takes a long time now

miketlo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloms View Post
it seemed to not allow me to download anything from the app market

edit: it just takes a long time now
I had that problem too but i wasnt sure if it was just where i was

Tags
battery, internet speed