5,593,587 Members 38,736 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[QUASI-NEW APP] word puzzle game

Tip us?

jkhouw1
Old
(Last edited by jkhouw1; 24th June 2010 at 06:22 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default [QUASI-NEW APP] word puzzle game

EDIT: FIXED MANY MANY BUGS, changed/updated the layout, removed keyboard entry method.
Crude webpage with .apk download: http://www.finnote.com/jumble (also available on market under "andJumble" or you can find just by searching for "jumble"

History:
I wrote a word scramble/jumble game as a pet project and published it to the market place. Its beta and my first app so be kind. Basically I was curious how hard it would be to create multiplayer games.
At first I built a tcpserver and client in the app and had it go out to a matching server, then the one handset would be switched to server mode, and the second would disconnect from the matching server and connect to that host. Of course this worked perfectly on wifi, but with cell connections, the cell provider's NAT prevents the connection so now I have the matching server handle the communication throughout the life cycle of an online game.
If you like word scramble games, please give it a try and give me some feedback. I'm not exactly a master programmer nor graphics guy, like I mentioned its just a pet project.

FEATURES

* >60,000 words in supplied database
* ability to create your own word database and use it alone, or in conjunction with system database
* ability to set system words to be ignored
SOLO GAME PLAY
* option to change the # of rounds per game
* option to change the minimum and maximum word size for the game
* option to change the seconds per round and delay between rounds
* Option to see hints on incorrect guesses
* Three modes: Exact match: round advances when you form a word using ALL the letters, Anagram: round advances when you find all possible words that use ALL the letters, Scrabble mode: Round advances when you find all possible words of 4 or more letters from the supplied letters

BLUETOOTH HEAD TO HEAD:
* Multiplayer head to head match over bluetooth - play against a friend.
* Chat to send text messages during game using keyboard

NETWORK (Lan & cellular)
* Multiplayer Network head to head play
* Game toggles host each round so neither player has unfair advantage due to network (cellular) latency
* Can enter a username/pwd to save your online record
* Can enter a game code you could share with someone else and you will only be matched with someone who enters the same game code
* Chat to send text messages during game using keyboard
* JumbleBot generally online that will serve as opponent for online play if no one else is connected.

and Its FREE!! (has a few ads - i'm just playing with admob at the same time)

Please check it out and give me some feedback - tested with N1 and Motorola Droid. Just search for andJumble, or just jumble.
Here are some updated screenshots:

Thanks!!

stooby
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Re: [NEW APP] word puzzle game

Hi, I couldn't find this in the Android Market.

I'm running 2.1 on a rooted Milestone if that helps.

Thanks

-------------------------------------
Sent from my Milestone via the XDA Tapatalk App
Stooby

Yorkshire, UK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro (SK17i) - Rooted
Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade) - Rooted and running Portuguese Spring

Get a free GiffGaff SIM with 5 credit: http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/stooby

jkhouw1
Old
(Last edited by jkhouw1; 13th May 2010 at 01:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Hmm - thats odd. It requires 2.01 or higher (sdk 6)

I can find it on market with Rooted Droid running 2.1 on Verizon and with unrooted Nexus 1 on AT&T running 2.1 update 1 just by searching for "jumble"

anyone unable to see it on market? I wonder if its an export issue? I've never posted to market before so don't know all the issues there might be.

the .apk is at http://www.finnote.com/jumble/Source/aJumble.apk

jkhouw1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooby View Post
Hi, I couldn't find this in the Android Market.

I'm running 2.1 on a rooted Milestone if that helps.

Thanks

maybe this works?

jkhouw1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Beta 0.5.19 uploaded to market - fixed Bluetooth head-to-head which was totally broken before and I didn't realize it

stooby
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Re: [NEW APP] word puzzle game

I definitely couldn't find it in the market so it may be because I'm in the UK.

I've downloaded it from your direct link and I'll give it a go.

I'll post my feedback in this thread.

Stooby

Yorkshire, UK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro (SK17i) - Rooted
Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade) - Rooted and running Portuguese Spring

Get a free GiffGaff SIM with 5 credit: http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/stooby

jkhouw1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooby View Post
I definitely couldn't find it in the market so it may be because I'm in the UK.

I've downloaded it from your direct link and I'll give it a go.

I'll post my feedback in this thread.
Thanks. BTW there a new version (on updated link on first post) that fixes a lot of issues.

The network head to head works well when i've managed to find an opponent - but with only around 100 downloads, I basically have to stare at the matching server to see when someone joins. I think for the network version to be really good it needs thousands of downloads so there are always a few people online - but I really don't know how to get that kind of penetration. And the fact it doesn't seem to appear outside the US (if you are any example) isn't helping

timothydonohue
Old
Thanks Meter 70
jumble is one of my favorite puzzles in the paper. i'll give it a go thanks!

jkhouw1
Old
(Last edited by jkhouw1; 16th May 2010 at 03:27 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
fixed just a few bugs :/
Version 24 (Beta 0.5.24)
  • NETWORK GAME Fixed funkyness with username failing to register
  • NETWORK GAME fixed password reset on playAgain()
Version 21 (Beta 0.5.23)
  • Added ability to set network game password so you will only be joined with another person who entered the same passwordNETWORKGAME: fixed possible force close event on quitting a network game while queued for the first time (or application locking up)
  • GENERAL: fixed possible force close when in button mode but not AutoCentering buttons
Version 20 (Beta 0.5.22)
  • added toast for network game to let people know to use the letter buttons for guessing and the keyboard for chatting.
  • Added ability to set preferences for game button behavior (auto centering or not)
Version 19 (Beta 0.5.22)
  • Changed button view "keyboard" buttons to make them more consistent and pressable
  • NETWORK, BLUETOOTH, BTNMODE: Added option on main screen to autocenter buttons. Default is true. When false, the unused letters will remain in place.
  • Cleaned up footprint of main page, removed lots of unused garbage.
  • Marginally increased "intelligence" of jumblebot. He was too slow before.
  • NETWORK: Added notification when difficulty auto-increases.
Version 18 (Beta 0.5.21)
  • WORD MANAGEMENT: can now find words starting with, containing exactly the search characters, or all possible words from containing any of the search characters (results limited to words 4 or more characters). Handy for cheating at scrabble I guess

ALSO a feature that people might not know:

You can import a text file to the user word database by entering the path on the sdcard to the file where the file is a text file with a single word per line. (I forgot to indicate when its done importing, but i'll do that on the next release)

jkhouw1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Anyone try this? Any feedback?

I've only seen 2 or 3 people connect via network - Have people tried and it didn't connect?
Thanks

Tags
game, jumble, scramble, word