Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,424 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

EVO's mini-HDMI port. Audio?

Tip us?

Shidell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default EVO's mini-HDMI port. Audio?

We all know the EVO has a mini-HDMI port, but what I'm concerned about is audio.

Is the EVO able to output multi-channel (surround sound) audio, or is it limited to simply stereo audio?

Obviously I'll be hooking this phone up to my home theater, so this question lingers as I contemplate how this phone will fit in. Obviously mini-HDMI in and of itself is wonderful, but if it can output surround sound, this phone truly has everything.

Anyone have an answer to this question?

th3b055
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Don't know, but it should.

Off topic, but cell phones seem to be replacing things left and right.. Cell phones have killed off a lot of devices.. Just to think that cell phones could eventually replace blu-ray players

mrono
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3b055 View Post

Off topic, but cell phones seem to be replacing things left and right.. Cell phones have killed off a lot of devices.. Just to think that cell phones could eventually replace blu-ray players
One can dream....
Sprint Evo 4G(Rooted)

Evo Links - NAND Root - 2.2 Root - (un)Root - Recovery - Roms - Radio - NexTANG Theme

a454nova
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 361
Quote:

eeeeew you still use blu-ray. lol

Everything will run from the phone soon. It nice in a way but sad to see all the old go

mrono
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by a454nova View Post
eeeeew you still use blu-ray. lol

Everything will run from the phone soon. It nice in a way but sad to see all the old go
eww you still use hardware, just get it implanted in your brain already
Sprint Evo 4G(Rooted)

Evo Links - NAND Root - 2.2 Root - (un)Root - Recovery - Roms - Radio - NexTANG Theme

MultiDev
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Default Not Sure of multichannel audio.

The MiniHDMI port does indeed send audio. The native youtube and gallery app do it just fine.

HDIwIn has an option in the advanced settings that lets you route phone audio as well.

I'm not sure about multichannel audio. I have tried it, but the native audio do not support multichannel audio nor does it support any kind of dolby decoding.

I assume someone could code up an app that correctly outputs (decodes dolby streams) multichannel audio over HDMI since miniHDMI supports it. I haven't found such an app.

Anybody else have luck with getting multichannel audio going over Evo's HDMI?

Earthshine0
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I've used the hdmiwin app, but only connected the audio directly to the tv. I have a hdmi switcher that can route it through the 5.1 sound system before going to the tv, I'll try it tonight. I'm curious what will happen.

Earthshine0 out-

android242
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

It's true I haven't touched my laptop since I rooted. But I still need my desktop as a DAW and for gaming, but I'm sure in a few more years we will be able to use our phones for just about everything.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

sitlet
Old
Thanks Meter 365
It's Micro-HDMI, not mini.

And no, the evo will not output 5.1 channel audio, only 2 channel