Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,920 Members 42,787 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to install Swype and get it working.

Tip us?

pooley182
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post How to install Swype and get it working.

Discalimer: While this has worked for me and many others, it may not work for you so be careful and remember to always back up your data.

Well after much searching for instructions on how to install Swype and get it working without the various errors and crashing i have decided to write up this little tutorial... 'Why do we need a tutorial?' you ask. well since my first attempt at installing Swype i have gone thorugh 2 hard resets and a new Rom.

I have also found a 'fixed' cab, after attempting to use a cab rip from the tmous version and screwing over my phone.

Some of these swype cabs are a bit buggy and can cause temporary errors in your registry that screw-up anything that is encrypted, this includes saved passwords for applications and more importantly the windows unlock password.

This may not happen in your installation but it's better to be safe than sorry and can be enabled after we have finished installing.

So before we even begin installation navigate your way to Settings > Security > Phone lock and then untick the box that says 'Prompt if phone unused for...'

Download the fixed-Swype cab if you have not done so already, i have to say thanks to whoever it was that made this, and is available here on xda-forums.

Cab:
Fixed-Swype-HTCBlackBird-3.9.10.10.5032.CAB
(No i will not put the fileup for public download, just search for it).

connect your HD2 to your computer and copy the cab over to the device into which ever folder you like.

now pick-up your phone and using your prefered file explorer navigate to the directory you just placed the cab in and open it.

During install you MUST make sure that you select to install the software to your 'Device' and NOT to the storage card.

Once the installation is complete your phone will prompt for a restart, select cancel and return to your file explorer.

Now navigate to the internal memory and then to the Windows directory in here will be a new folder named Swype, select it and then from the menu select copy.

Now go up out of the Windows directory but remaining in the internal storage navigate to Program Files.

Inside the Program Files directory paste the Swype folder.

Now perform a soft reset and swype should now be succesfully installed, to test swype open a blank message or word document, when the standard keyboard opens, click the small arrow next to the keyboard icon on the menu bar and select Swype.

Enjoy.

rexboy
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Great write up. Must admit i had many problems installing the v3.9 and had to hard reset to fix it. Your last steps about cancelling the restart and copying the folder is what is different.

Must admit though, i just installed the v2.0 from the Omnia and found it typed faster (this is compared to when i did have v3.9 working). Also with 3.9 the number selection when holding down a certain key hardly ever worked, works all the time with 2.0 so i just stuck with that. With a skin it looks not bad either even though 3.9 does have the better appearance etc.

stephan1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
may it also work for my touch pro 2 ?

Thanks in advance
Htc Touch Pro II

tictac0566
Old
Thanks Meter 137
There is actually a new version of Swype floating around... installing it seems to be pretty easy. And the bugs of the version which is mentioned above are solved, too. Just google for "IME_Swype_3_19_20_20_6343_0.cab" and you will find it.
Too busy with my work now...
and using an iPhone 5. Phew.
Yes. But need to come back to Android... asap

My hobby devices, still operational:

Samsung Galaxy S II ROM: MIUI-SGS2-2.3.9
HTC Sensation ROM: ...changing...

Nice clocks with moving seconds hand:
Lume Up your Android Crazy Home!

A thing from my past,
only for WinMo/Sense 2.5 users:
Lumed Analog and Digital Clocks for CHT

pooley182
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexboy View Post
i just installed the v2.0 from the Omnia
I did think about doing that but after seeing the screenshot was quite unimpressed, it just looks... unfinished...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan1 View Post
may it also work for my touch pro 2 ?
I wouldn't like to say as i only have tried this on the HD2, but as long as you back-up and are prepared to re-enter all your passwords you could always try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictac0566 View Post
There is actually a new version of Swype floating around... installing it seems to be pretty easy. And the bugs of the version which is mentioned above are solved, too. Just google for "IME_Swype_3_19_20_20_6343_0.cab" and you will find it.
thanks for the info i may have to check it out if i get a chance.

Agoattamer
Old
Thanks Meter 486
There are actually 4 versions of swype floating around for use on the HD2.

The Omnia II version: works well but keys are small and just looks too plain.

The fixxed 3.9.10.10.5032 blackbird edition: Ripped from TMOUS. Much more pleasing to the eye. Long presses do not always work. (ex: holding for numbers). It changes your phone ID to T-Mobile_Leo. This it what locks you out of your phone if you have it passworded and causes you to hard reset. Disable password before installing. It also destroys settings for email and router pass keys. It also deletes passwords for installed applications like Resco and SPB. Also had to run through internet connection setup again. And who knows what else.

Another version of 3.9.10.10.5032 by LordYuz: This has been fixxed to not change your phone ID. Won't destroy your passwords or lock you out of your phone. Long presses still do not work well.

IME_Swype_3_19_20_20_6343_0: Also ripped from new TMOUS HD2. Again this version changes your phone ID and will cause damage as stated above. Not sure if long presses are fixxed with this version or not. Hoping LordYuz gets his hands on this version and fixxes it too.
Samsung I717R Note
I717RUXMD1 Rogers Deodexed Stock JB ROM

Samsung I497 10.1 Tab2
I497UCBMF2 stock JB

HTC HD2 T9193
Winmo 6.5 Energy.Leo.29022.Sense2.5.Jul.04
2.12.50.02_2 RADIO

rexboy
Old
Thanks Meter 272
[QUOTE=pooley182;6487263]I did think about doing that but after seeing the screenshot was quite unimpressed, it just looks... unfinished...

I was of the same opinion but maybe its in my head but im sure it works better. It just seems to respond quicker, flow a bit better.
I also installed the Lessro skin, looks much better, better than the stock 3.9 in my opinion, dont even notice the keys appearing smaller and at the end of the day its a straight install, no special instructions required at all and the long key presses actually work so its practicality vs appearance..........i know what i prefer..............thats until of course they actually release a proper fully working 3.9 with all features working properly.

fiendskillz
Old
Thanks Meter 16
where can i get the omnia version? i want to switch because theres a problem with the swype i have, it would ask for double confirmation of one word even when nothing is checked to ask for confirmation.

rexboy
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiendskillz View Post
where can i get the omnia version? i want to switch because theres a problem with the swype i have, it would ask for double confirmation of one word even when nothing is checked to ask for confirmation.
Refer to my post here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=684198&page=2 post #12

whilst v2.0 (omnia version) is floating around everywhere (google easily finds it), this is the newer released v3.9 by LordYuz which fixes the previous 3.9. works great. It is larger to install but go into the swype folder in the Windows directory, del the tutorial, its almost 10mb alone to save space :)

hagba
Old
Thanks Meter 149
I used almost all of them including the fixed version ended up hard reseting twice,until I came across swype V.2 which I am enjoying it now a lot.