Post Reply

GSM auto (PRL) vs. WCDMA preferred

16th May 2010, 07:55 PM   |  #1  
mcgoo99's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
what is the difference between these two settings on my N1? i get 3G/H with either setting, and they both switch to Edge around the same coverage areas too. PRL seems to have ever-so-slightly better dBm power readings, anyone else seen this? both seem to have similar network performance too (based on download speeds), should i stick with one or another? which gives better battery life?

TIA!
16th May 2010, 08:12 PM   |  #2  
craigacgomez's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lake Forest, CA
Thanks Meter: 2,624
 
1,831 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Donate to Me
More
Hope this helps!!!

GSM Only - Only uses in G/E and never switches to 3G/H. Should have minimal battery usage.

GSM Auto (PRL) - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) for a provider on your phone. Not supported by all providers and may not be supported in certain regions. Should have moderate battery usage since it uses a predefined list to switch.

WCDMA Preferred - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the best/strongest signal available and is supported by all providers. Has high battery usage since it constantly scans the network for the strongest signal to switch.

WCDMA Only - Only uses HSDPA and will not switch to G/E/3G even if the HSPDA signal is too low. Use this only if you use your phone in a area with good coverage. Should have moderate battery usage.
Last edited by craigacgomez; 16th May 2010 at 08:15 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to craigacgomez For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2010, 08:19 PM   |  #3  
mcgoo99's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigacgomez

Hope this helps!!!

GSM Only - Only uses in G/E and never switches to 3G/H. Should have minimal battery usage.

GSM Auto (PRL) - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) for a provider on your phone. Not supported by all providers and may not be supported in certain regions. Should have moderate battery usage since it uses a predefined list to switch.

WCDMA Preferred - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the best/strongest signal available and is supported by all providers. Has high battery usage since it constantly scans the network for the strongest signal to switch.

WCDMA Only - Only uses HSDPA and will not switch to G/E/3G even if the HSPDA signal is too low. Use this only if you use your phone in a area with good coverage. Should have moderate battery usage.

thank you!! where'd you find this info?
Last edited by mcgoo99; 16th May 2010 at 10:58 PM.
16th May 2010, 10:24 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 396
 
5,578 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Re: GSM auto (PRL) vs. WCDMA preferred
There's a huge thread on this already. Gsm auto (PRL) gives me much better battery life over wcdma preferred but we really don't know exactly why. Both give you 3g and edge access.
16th May 2010, 11:03 PM   |  #5  
mcgoo99's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter

There's a huge thread on this already. Gsm auto (PRL) gives me much better battery life over wcdma preferred but we really don't know exactly why. Both give you 3g and edge access.

i'm discovering the much better battery life as well, pleasantly surprised to be at 70% after coming off charger 11 hours ago!

do you have a link to that thread? i searched before I posted but couldn't find anything of value. xda is a great resource, but sometimes info is difficult to retrieve from old threads. thanks!
17th May 2010, 12:41 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Beltsville
Thanks Meter: 440
 
2,150 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoo99

i'm discovering the much better battery life as well, pleasantly surprised to be at 70% after coming off charger 11 hours ago!

do you have a link to that thread? i searched before I posted but couldn't find anything of value. xda is a great resource, but sometimes info is difficult to retrieve from old threads. thanks!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...mprove+battery
The Following User Says Thank You to jblazea50 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th May 2010, 02:12 AM   |  #7  
craigacgomez's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lake Forest, CA
Thanks Meter: 2,624
 
1,831 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter

There's a huge thread on this already. Gsm auto (PRL) gives me much better battery life over wcdma preferred but we really don't know exactly why. Both give you 3g and edge access.

I believe the fact that GSM Auto (PRL) uses a predetermined PRL to switch between G/E/3G/H vs. the phone constantly scanning to find the best signal in the case of WCDMA Preferred is the reason for the better battery life.
Last edited by craigacgomez; 17th May 2010 at 02:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to craigacgomez For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th May 2010, 04:14 PM   |  #8  
mcgoo99's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
many thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated!
28th October 2010, 03:57 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
203 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigacgomez

Hope this helps!!!

GSM Only - Only uses in G/E and never switches to 3G/H. Should have minimal battery usage.

GSM Auto (PRL) - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) for a provider on your phone. Not supported by all providers and may not be supported in certain regions. Should have moderate battery usage since it uses a predefined list to switch.

WCDMA Preferred - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the best/strongest signal available and is supported by all providers. Has high battery usage since it constantly scans the network for the strongest signal to switch.

WCDMA Only - Only uses HSDPA and will not switch to G/E/3G even if the HSPDA signal is too low. Use this only if you use your phone in a area with good coverage. Should have moderate battery usage.

does anyone know what gsm disconnects: =====DATA=====

mean?

my network keeps disconnecting and reconnecting :/
28th October 2010, 06:36 PM   |  #10  
betoNL's Avatar
Senior Member
Here, there, everywhere
Thanks Meter: 2,254
 
5,594 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2007
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by haksam

does anyone know what gsm disconnects: =====DATA=====
mean?
my network keeps disconnecting and reconnecting :/

Beats me....if I set to "gsm only" gsm disconects and doesnt reconnect
until I set it to to "auto mode"


Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes