Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,236 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GSM auto (PRL) vs. WCDMA preferred

Tip us?

mcgoo99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default GSM auto (PRL) vs. WCDMA preferred

what is the difference between these two settings on my N1? i get 3G/H with either setting, and they both switch to Edge around the same coverage areas too. PRL seems to have ever-so-slightly better dBm power readings, anyone else seen this? both seem to have similar network performance too (based on download speeds), should i stick with one or another? which gives better battery life?

TIA!
Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE, latest CM10.1 nightly
Google Nexus 10, stock

craigacgomez
Old
(Last edited by craigacgomez; 16th May 2010 at 08:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2569

DONATE TO ME
Hope this helps!!!

GSM Only - Only uses in G/E and never switches to 3G/H. Should have minimal battery usage.

GSM Auto (PRL) - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) for a provider on your phone. Not supported by all providers and may not be supported in certain regions. Should have moderate battery usage since it uses a predefined list to switch.

WCDMA Preferred - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the best/strongest signal available and is supported by all providers. Has high battery usage since it constantly scans the network for the strongest signal to switch.

WCDMA Only - Only uses HSDPA and will not switch to G/E/3G even if the HSPDA signal is too low. Use this only if you use your phone in a area with good coverage. Should have moderate battery usage.

CRAiG GoMEZ

Donate to me

Google LGE Nexus 5 [D820] | SlimKat (Android 4.4.2) - SlimRoms
Google Samsung Nexus 10 [GT-P8110HAEXAR] ThunderKat (Android 4.4.2) - craigacgomez
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to craigacgomez For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mcgoo99
Old
(Last edited by mcgoo99; 16th May 2010 at 10:58 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigacgomez View Post
Hope this helps!!!

GSM Only - Only uses in G/E and never switches to 3G/H. Should have minimal battery usage.

GSM Auto (PRL) - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) for a provider on your phone. Not supported by all providers and may not be supported in certain regions. Should have moderate battery usage since it uses a predefined list to switch.

WCDMA Preferred - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the best/strongest signal available and is supported by all providers. Has high battery usage since it constantly scans the network for the strongest signal to switch.

WCDMA Only - Only uses HSDPA and will not switch to G/E/3G even if the HSPDA signal is too low. Use this only if you use your phone in a area with good coverage. Should have moderate battery usage.
thank you!! where'd you find this info?
Google Nexus 10, stock

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Default Re: GSM auto (PRL) vs. WCDMA preferred

There's a huge thread on this already. Gsm auto (PRL) gives me much better battery life over wcdma preferred but we really don't know exactly why. Both give you 3g and edge access.
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch

mcgoo99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
There's a huge thread on this already. Gsm auto (PRL) gives me much better battery life over wcdma preferred but we really don't know exactly why. Both give you 3g and edge access.
i'm discovering the much better battery life as well, pleasantly surprised to be at 70% after coming off charger 11 hours ago!

do you have a link to that thread? i searched before I posted but couldn't find anything of value. xda is a great resource, but sometimes info is difficult to retrieve from old threads. thanks!
Google Nexus 10, stock

jblazea50
Old
Thanks Meter 439

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoo99 View Post
i'm discovering the much better battery life as well, pleasantly surprised to be at 70% after coming off charger 11 hours ago!

do you have a link to that thread? i searched before I posted but couldn't find anything of value. xda is a great resource, but sometimes info is difficult to retrieve from old threads. thanks!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...mprove+battery
The Following User Says Thank You to jblazea50 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

craigacgomez
Old
(Last edited by craigacgomez; 17th May 2010 at 02:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2569

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
I believe the fact that GSM Auto (PRL) uses a predetermined PRL to switch between G/E/3G/H vs. the phone constantly scanning to find the best signal in the case of WCDMA Preferred is the reason for the better battery life.

CRAiG GoMEZ

Donate to me

Google LGE Nexus 5 [D820] | SlimKat (Android 4.4.2) - SlimRoms
Google Samsung Nexus 10 [GT-P8110HAEXAR] ThunderKat (Android 4.4.2) - craigacgomez
The Following User Says Thank You to craigacgomez For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mcgoo99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
many thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated!
Google Nexus 10, stock

haksam
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigacgomez View Post
Hope this helps!!!

does anyone know what gsm disconnects: =====DATA=====

mean?

my network keeps disconnecting and reconnecting :/

betoNL
Old
Thanks Meter 2248

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by haksam View Post
does anyone know what gsm disconnects: =====DATA=====
mean?
my network keeps disconnecting and reconnecting :/