[APP] Superuser 188.8.131.52 - Now on the Market [2010-09-05]
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
I got tired of the old, quite unreadable, Superuser app that's being used in most every build, so I refreshed it entirely. Some of the new features include:
- Each permission is shown by it's name, rather than it's UID
- Many translations (Spanish, German, Czech, Greek, French, Italian, Dutch, Russian and Danish (Some are full translations, some are only partial))
- Optional notifications
- A dialog that shows details of each permission
- Full logging system
- A much clearer request window.
- Permissions are removed when an app is uninstalled to prevent another app from possibly getting permissions you don't want it to have.
- A bunch of work behind the scenes to smooth things out.
(New for 2.2)
- Changed requests to a broadcast intent to prevent app murder.
- Using new permission scheme for better security
- Fixed several database leaks.
- Version display for app and binary in preferences.
(New for 2.2.1)
- Install fixed. Will clear old permissions, but it's the last time I'll delete your permissions.
- Fixed AndroidManifest to allow install on cupcake.
- Russian translation thanks to stari4ek
(New for 2.2.2)
- Install really fixed this time thanks to a trick little shell script in the update.zip
(New for 2.3)
- New layout of main app
- Full logging
- New request layout
- Fixed boot/widget bug
- Date/time format options
- Better notification system
- New icon
- Better allow system
- A whole mess of code cleanup
- Rearranged drawables so that only one apk needs to be built for any firmware
(New for 2.3.1)
- Big bugfixes
- Better support for landscape mode
- better support for ldpi devices
(New for 184.108.40.206)
- Now lives in the market!
(New for 2.3.3)
- More bugfixes
- App can now update it's own binary without using update.zip
(New for 2.3.4)
- App downloads binaries if necessary
- Entry in Settings to check for updated binaries
(New for 2.3.5)
- Better handling of su binary versions (Thanks ATomCZ)
- Polish translation (Thanks Piter1225)
- Fixed bug that prevented Apps from showing up if they didn't have a log entry
- Added Clear Log button to preferences
- Added a check to ensure that no other apps are trying to respond to Superuser requests
(New for 220.127.116.11)
- Traditional & Simplified Chinese translations
- Updated French & Greek translations
- Added clear log button to menu on log screen
And the best news, CM6 Stable users can update pain free from the market!
There are 2 versions, one for cupcake/donut, one for eclair/froyo. Pick the one appropriate for your firmware and flash via recovery mode.
Or download from the market:
If install from the market fails, use adb to issue these commands:
adb shell rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell pm uninstall com.noshufou.android.su
or from terminal:
# (remount for your phone, Nexus One is 'mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system', other phones will use the same pattern, but may vary on the '/dev...' bit)
# rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
# pm uninstall com.noshufou.android.su
# (same remount command as above, but with 'remount,ro' instead of 'remount,rw')
After that, you'll be able to install Superuser from the market.
Special thanks go out to MotoCache1 for keeping this thread under control and repackaging the update.zip to work on more phones, velazcod for his huge help with this release, Zinx for the su app this is based off of, Cyanogen and koush for their help and support, Fnorder for motivating me to finally fix the allow system properly, bartito, sacarino2k2, thiasB, RedVirus, regunus, leonnib4, Eug89, MrSnowflake, MarkM83 and stari4ek for translations, and whoever it was that wrote fix_permissions for the help writing fixsuperm.
I make no guarantee that this will work on your particular setup, but I will try to help get it working. There's also the community that can help. Post your questions with logs here in the thread and we'll try to get you an answer. If your phone bursts into a ball of flame, I can't help at all.
If you have any issues, please post them to the issue tracker on my github
. It'll make them easier to keep track of.
Note: You will have to re-authorize any apps you want to have permission, unless you are already (successfully) running a 2.2 or higher version.
Note: I don't have a phone to test the cupcake/donut version on, should work no problem tho. Please let me know if there are any problems.
Note: Apps may still crash if they try to get permissions on boot that have not been granted yet. Once an app is in the whitelist, it should have no trouble at all getting permissions on boot.
As always, source is located at my github in my sig.