Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 43,822 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] ROOT Status of Official Sprint 2.1 release RUU: YES! | 6/03

Tip us?

Keithgordon
Old
Thanks Meter 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obstinatus View Post
Interesting I was told by two Sprint Tech Reps today to go get a replacement. They believed that most likely they would not be flashed with 2.1 yet.
The phones that are shipped from asurion (the insurance company that sends out replacements to replace lost or broken phones) most likely have 1.5 rootable ROMS, told me that they do not pay their refurb techs to update software, they are only required to send out replacements in working condition. I called them on friday and got a new hero with 1.5 on saturday. just a lil fyi.

regaw_leinad
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by nindoja View Post
What do you mean they don't work for ARM? Are they linux x86 specific exploits or do they just not give root? If there is any assembly or shellcode in the exploits you will have to convert them to ARM from x86 assembly.

It's not guaranteed that that will make the exploit work, but if you don't translate the shellcode you will not get root even if the exploit still exists in the kernel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obelisk79 View Post
Like he said, if it runs, but fails to give root then you just need working shellcode to drop you into root. I don't know enough specifics about shellcode, but in my own personal attempts at rooting, I did learn that much.
the shoryuken exploit is an x86 linux exploit that was modified for ARM under the name m7 for the Tattoo.

I have modified each of those for specific shellcodes, and they still don't return to #.

They have been patched.

As have the asroot2, m5, m6 and try3 exploits.
Device: HTC One (AT&T)
Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.0 | Bootloader: S-OFF
ROM: Stock

My Development Threads

Watch my programming tutorials on YouTube - BetterCoder
I'm also a professional musician - YouTube - SoundCloud

Please don't post just to say "Thanks" - There's a button for that . Be sure to use it!

obelisk79
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by regaw_leinad View Post
the shoryuken exploit is an x86 linux exploit that was modified for ARM under the name m7 for the Tattoo.

I have modified each of those for specific shellcodes, and they still don't return to #.

They have been patched.

As have the asroot2, m5, m6 and try3 exploits.
/nod I figured as much, but never hurts to throw it out there.

nindoja
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Yeah, I figured they had been patched but I thought I'd throw the info out there as well. Glad to see you guys have a dedicated set of devs working on this as well.

Best of luck!

avegasrascal
Old
(Last edited by avegasrascal; 2nd June 2010 at 09:15 AM.) Reason: wrong thread
Thanks Meter 0
Red face replacement shipped with 1.5

Just got my replacement phone today just told customer service I was having trouble with my data after uploading 2.1 they shipped it got it in 3 days. I am about to be rooted again. Sorry wrong thread tried to delete it failed.

aarronbittick
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Re: [ROOT] ROOT Status of Official Sprint 2.1 release RUU: NO | 5/29

Quote:
Just got my replacement phone today just told customer service I was having trouble with my data after uploading 2.1 they shipped it got it in 3 days. I am about to be rooted again. Sorry wrong thread tried to delete it failed.
I did the same thing, 1.5 phone arrives Friday

-------------------------------------
" Sweet dreams are a myth induced by those with false hopes. " - Aarron Bittick

teedo757
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Re: [ROOT] ROOT Status of Official Sprint 2.1 release RUU: NO | 5/29

Although it is great some are returning their phones to downgrade and root again I don't think this is a solution for everyone.
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

jporter12
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedo757 View Post
Although it is great some are returning their phones to downgrade and root again I don't think this is a solution for everyone.
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App
And... If too many people do this, they'll send out a fix for the issues, possibly making it even tougher to root, along with not being so willing to replace them.

Obstinatus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter12 View Post
And... If too many people do this, they'll send out a fix for the issues, possibly making it even tougher to root, along with not being so willing to replace them.
True true. But for those of us who where stupid enough (Oh yea I'm talking about myself) to flash to 2.1 before finding out that we would lose root it's the fastest way back to the Rom's we had come to enjoy.

PPC F250
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Let's not waste this space to confirm the worst way to go about getting root back. Going to Sprint to have them replace those "broken" phones and turning around and posting your success is a waste of our time.

Tags
hero, root 2.1