Dalvik JIT working on Desire with Sense UI!
NEW VERSION! Less hackish!
Commenting out some code that limits how much heap-memory an application can allocate + adding one dummy JNI function , JIT-enabled Dalvik is now working very stable (i haven't had one crash so far for some hours).
EDIT: this version is not just a hack based on commenting out some code. The only code that needed hacking was dalvik/vm/native/dalvik_system_VMRuntime.c and dalvik/vm/alloc/HeapSource.c . The other fix is just a change you need to make in /system/build.prop - This is important
0. BACKUP ALL THE FILES THAT YOU ARE OVERWRITING HERE !!!
1. Copy libdvm.so and libnativehelper.so to /system/lib/
2. Copy dalvikvm to /system/bin
3. chmod 0755 /system/bin/dalvikvm
4. chmod 0644 /system/lib/libnativehelper.so /system/lib/libdvm.so
5. Optionally clear dalvik-cache (?) I didn't have to though
6. Append the line "dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit" to /system/build.prop
7. Change line in /system/build.prop: dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m
(38 megs should be more than sufficient so far. The problem is, as someone also pointed out in this thread, that JIT increases the memory usage
Remember you have to mount the /system partition in recovery mode.