Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 38,897 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Thinking about.....

Tip us?

petest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thinking about.....

Hi
My contract is up for renewal soon and I've decided to give the Android platform a go after using WM pda phones for 10 years or so.
I'd narrowed it down to the Desire then saw the Samsung Galaxy S with its built in 8 / 16 gb and had a brief moment of "which one".
However, I currently have a Samsung i900 which I've had for 18 months and while its okay, it doesn't seem as good as previous HTC models I've had, especially the screen so the Desire is back to the top of the list.
My wife has recently got an iphone 3gs and the screen and interface on that is awfull when compared to what I'm used to although she loves it but shes never used any of my phones in the past.
The only reservation I have about changing to Android is that I have all my favorite WM programs in Cab format and can set up a new WM device in a couple of minutes. Still, the unkown aspect will be fun and there is plenty of support on this site which I've missed with the i900 although the Modaco guys are very helpful.
Anyway, enough waffle. I'll probably be back soon with questions on how to do this or that.
XDA2 - old faithfull collecting dust.
Mio A701 - now joining old faithfull.
SPV M700 (trinity) - in with the rest
Samsung i900 Omnia - current but about to be changed

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2958
Once you have apps on yur device you can back them up onto your SD card to be reinstalled easily in future so that takes care of that!

I came from a HD2 and Android is a million miles ahead of WinMo IMO - and the Desire is an awesome device, better than the iPhone 3GS

Get one, you won't be disappointed
OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH25R)

HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 2.22.401.4 (KTU84L) | HBOOT: 3.18.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.19.2133147.09G_20.57.4196.01L_F | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

@MARK
Old
Thanks Meter 0
As somebody who has just moved from a long term WM relationship to the Desire I can tell you that it didn't hurt.

The learning curve is not that steep and apart from a few niggles, I am not missing anything (apart from Live Mesh) yet.

petest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I feel like a kid thats waiting for xmas - getting impatient but excited cos I know that my contract'll be up in a few days. Desire here I come.
XDA2 - old faithfull collecting dust.
Mio A701 - now joining old faithfull.
SPV M700 (trinity) - in with the rest
Samsung i900 Omnia - current but about to be changed

dhiral.v
Old
Thanks Meter 11
from someone who's been on windows mobile for 2 years and had the hd2 since the day of the release, switching to the desire was the best move i ever made. I loved my hd2 but the desire is amazing. I do miss the nice big screen on the hd2 but oh well. IMO android is what windows mobile should have been, it is smooth, stable and i have never needed to perform a soft reset as of yet. I remember with the hd2 i was flashing roms on a weekly basis and use to love customising, but i can honestly say i am glad i switched