Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,846 Members 39,843 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How long do we think it will take to root?

Tip us?

TheBiles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Default How long do we think it will take to root?

With full access to the ROMs and EVOs now, it doesn't seem like it will take long to me. Do any informed experts have any ideas?

joeykrim
Old
(Last edited by joeykrim; 22nd May 2010 at 08:44 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiles View Post
With full access to the ROMs and EVOs now, it doesn't seem like it will take long to me. Do any informed experts have any ideas?
took me 7-8 hours to root the samsung moment once we got a copy of the leaked android 2.1....this phone is setup completely different and i dont physically have it to test anything.
im doing some research and hope to figure out a solution, but it'll be hard for me to test it for sure.
if anybody else has some insight with previous HTC and android experience, that'd be great to hear some other opinions?!
or maybe an HTC phone with similar file system structure which was rooted?

shakuyi
Old
Thanks Meter 34
joey do u plan on getting this phone? i had a moment but was lucky enough to get the evo off someone that went to i/o.....it would be awesome to have your kernels working on this bad boy!!!

joeykrim
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakuyi View Post
joey do u plan on getting this phone? i had a moment but was lucky enough to get the evo off someone that went to i/o.....it would be awesome to have your kernels working on this bad boy!!!
yea, im heavily considering it. i qualify for my upgrade so for $199 and giving up a hardware keyboard for all the great hardware features this has, i think its worth it!
i hope to be able to compile a few kernels for you and everybody else

shakuyi
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykrim View Post
yea, im heavily considering it. i qualify for my upgrade so for $199 and giving up a hardware keyboard for all the great hardware features this has, i think its worth it!
i hope to be able to compile a few kernels for you and everybody else
ah dont even worry about the onscreen keyboard it takes a second to get used to it. that was the reason why i picked the moment over the hero but i still found myself using swype lol. as of now im just using the htc keyboard and its pretty slick so far just have to train the dictionary.

stretchwookie
Old
(Last edited by stretchwookie; 22nd May 2010 at 10:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 112
i work for sprint, my indirect rep came in with his evo the other day and so i installed swype 1.25 on it. FREAKIN. AWESOME. also, MAD props to joeykrim. i have the moment and he has done SO many wonderful things with it. but it looks like im going to htc...

EDIT: joey, i would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see you move to the evo and see what that genius brain can cook up. if you ever need a tester, im all over it. been with you on sdx since the days you and speedrabbit were bustin down and fixing 1.5.

super-6-1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
IM getting the EVO day of release and maybe another for testing. Let me know when you want to get this thing a try. i just hope it doesn't brick XD

infamousjax
Old
Thanks Meter 26
knowing joeykrim, once he gets his grubby hands on an Evo - it'll be rooted there soon after.

glad to see some familiar names over here guys...

FuManChuu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Looks like the question has just about been answered :>

grack.com/blog/2010/05/23/root-on-an-htc-evo-4g/

Old school Palm devs working on it... even without details released, I'd stake my farm on it being 100% legit.

Important note - I have no farm o_O.

Veldetta
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default HTC Evo 4G rooted in record time

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/24/h...rd-time-video/