Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,775 Members 40,984 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[App][Nov 7 2010] Mute4 V3 - Mute/Vibrate your phone and restore volume automatically

Tip us?

thx1200
Old
(Last edited by thx1200; 27th October 2011 at 06:12 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default [App][Nov 7 2010] Mute4 V3 - Mute/Vibrate your phone and restore volume automatically

This application is no longer being developed or supported. The source code is available on CodePlex, however. Enjoy!

Description
Mute4 is a very simple application. When run, it allows you to set your phone to the vibrate or silent profile and also set a timeout for when you want it to restore the normal volume profile.

Going to a movie? Set Mute4 for three hours. Going to a meeting? Set Mute4 to one hour. Just need a short coffee break without the phone ringing? Set Mute4 to 15 minutes. :)

CodePlex
The project download and source code is hosted at CodePlex. http://mute4.codeplex.com/

Tip Jar
Like this app? Want more like it? Tip a buck (or Euro or Pound or whatever) or two to help the author out! Click here to make a safe donation via PayPal.

License
This app is released under the Ms-RL.

Requirements
WM5/6/6.5

How to use
Run Mute4, then click on the Metro-style buttons to cycle through the options. The profiles available are Vibrate and Silent. The default timeouts are 15 minutes, 30 minutes, one hour, two hours, and three hours.

The "Metro style" UI was chosen for the same reason Microsoft did: it takes no time to make something look so 'basic' and I'm lazy. ;)

How to create custom timeouts
Go to the application installation folder (\Program Files\Mute4 usually) and edit settings.ini. Under the Timeouts section, there are items called T1 through T5. The values are in minutes. You can edit those, add new lines, remove existing ones. Just remember that you can't have more than one variable name that are the same (as in, you can't have multiple "T1"). The INI reader doesn't like this. :) So make sure you make each variable name unique. But it doesn't really matter what you call it. The only other requiment is that the times be in increasing order. If they aren't, some values might be ignored. So if you do 15, 30, 20, the cycling will stop at 30 and cycle back to 15 in the UI.

Notes
Mute4 does not leave an app (or service) running to accomplish its task, so there is no performance degradation or battery life lost with its use. It sets a system timer to wake the phone up and run Mute4's "restore" app at the time you specified by the restore timer -- it's that simple. So have no fears about its use. In fact, you can even soft reset between running Mute4 and when the timer would normally fire and it will still fire right on time. :)

Download
http://mute4.codeplex.com/releases
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mute4_1.png
Views:	193
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	436327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mute4_2.png
Views:	154
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	436328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mute4_3.png
Views:	119
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	436329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mute4_4.png
Views:	114
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	436330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mute4_5.png
Views:	107
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	436331  

Avian Waves aka thx1200
http://www.avianwaves.com

Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sprint

Android Apps: Coming soon!
Legacy Windows Mobile Apps (no longer supported): Avian Play / Mute4 / ReRemind / BattLineSvc / ZoomBarPlus / PlaySound / TouchFlo Detacher / Mobile Shell 3 Toggler / iContact AE
The Following User Says Thank You to thx1200 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thx1200
Old
(Last edited by thx1200; 8th November 2010 at 04:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 44
Default Changelog

Version 3
---------
- Modified the screen layout slightly to support square screens better.
- Fixed some bugs in the INI file parser (should not affect version 2.1 and older; this was related to saving INIs).
- Added the ability to modify the timeout settings within the application. Look under Menu (new right soft key) and Settings.
- The application actively checks before saving to see if Settings.ini is set to read-only and unsets the flag automatically.
- You can now select advanced mode, which lets you set the exact time the normal profile will be restored or a custom number of minutes from the current time.
- When a Mute4 timeout is set greater than 24 hours into the future, the cancel dialog will tell which day the phone is set to return to the normal profile.
- Minimizing Mute4 no longer exits the application.
- Cancel Mute4 timer button no longer flickers when pressed.

Version 2.1
-----------
- Fixed a bug in the V2 installer that set the settings.ini to read-only which could cause Mute4 to crash.
- The rare bug that was fixed in Version 2 apparently has siblings. :) Found another spot where enumerating the notification queue can cause a crash. Fixed.

Version 2
---------
- Fixed a bug where certain rare conditions would cause Mute4 to crash when you try to cancel an existing timer. Now Mute4 will try again and inform you if it is unable to clear the timer.
- Improved performance of some controls.
- Buttons gray out when inactive.
- Fixed a bug where certain timeout values would display incorrectly (for example, 45 minutes would display as 1 hour 45 minutes) due to incorrect math function.
- Fixed a bug (hopefully) where when on a phone call, the profile will not revert back to normal. The work around is to keep trying every five seconds until it works. :)

Version 1
---------
- Initial release
Avian Waves aka thx1200

Legacy Windows Mobile Apps (no longer supported): Avian Play / Mute4 / ReRemind / BattLineSvc / ZoomBarPlus / PlaySound / TouchFlo Detacher / Mobile Shell 3 Toggler / iContact AE

noellenchris
Old
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 689
Thanks, such a simple idea, how did I live without this! I'm flashing today and will install asap and enjoy. Thank you.

TMOUS Galaxy Note III Rooted Tweaked
Samsung Galaxy Gear 1 Null_23 Soon to have Android Wear Running
TMOUS Galaxy S4 Stock(Son's)
HP TouchPad CM9 Nightlies
-----------------------------------
T-Mobile HTC HD2 (I will keep this one till it dies!)
Cotulla's MAGLDR NAND w/CWM & CM10

[TMOUS Galaxy Note II][TMOUS Galaxy S III][TMOUS Galaxy S II][AT&T Fuze (Rafael)]
[Cingular(Refurb) 8525 (Hermes 100)][Sprint Vogue] [Cingular 8125 Wizard...gone now;(]

XDA Forum Rules

These phone's are addicting! The more tweaks/apps etc. I read about the more I have to cram into my phone! Can my phone overdose???

wardh
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Great idea! Will try it now. Thanks!

thebrenda
Old
Thanks Meter 0
HTC TP2 - I want my phone volumne muted, but still want to listen to my music with my headphones. I have been told that stock WM have two seperate volumne settings, one for phone and one for device but that HTC's interface put them together.

Any idea if this mute profile is for the phone (ringer) or for the device? Would love to even take it a step further if possible to mute the phone, mute the external speaker, and keep the volumne for my music via a head set.

hsmcd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Nice idea, coz i always forget to switch it on back and kinda miss out some calls. Brilliant~

thx1200
Old
(Last edited by thx1200; 26th May 2010 at 02:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrenda View Post
HTC TP2 - I want my phone volumne muted, but still want to listen to my music with my headphones. I have been told that stock WM have two seperate volumne settings, one for phone and one for device but that HTC's interface put them together.

Any idea if this mute profile is for the phone (ringer) or for the device? Would love to even take it a step further if possible to mute the phone, mute the external speaker, and keep the volumne for my music via a head set.
It affects both volumes. It uses the three built-in WM profiles (normal, vibrate, and silent) to switch, so the actual volume levels are not affected (in other words, when you switch back to normal, the volume is where you left it).

For more fine-grained volume control with a timer to reset, I recommend checking out a product called VolumeX. It should fit your needs nicely.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you are using Sense UI, it by default controls both volumes with one slider. If you go to settings, there's a checkbox to operate the volumes separately. That might be all you need. On the other hand, if you need a timed mute, Mute4 is for you. And if you need to manipulate volume levels on a timer, VolumeX is really great.
Avian Waves aka thx1200

c_shekhar
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 32
Very good application. I needed it...
Please -DONATE

Samsung Galaxy S Plus
My own ROM
GB 2.3.6 KQE/Feamod NOC 1.4Fix/SkyHigh Kernel 1.4d

HTC HD2
My HD2 3.04.23569bCS (Build 23563.5.5.0)

HTC Touch Diamond
My Diam 2.10.21051A.CS (Build 21051.1.6.3)
My Diam 2.11.21056c.CS (Build 21056.1.6.9)

HTC Touch Cruise
My Pola ROM 1.60.21014aCS (Build 21014)
My Pola ROM 1.60.931aCS (Build 20931)
Radio 1.58.25.14

HTC Himalaya
My Hima ROM 6.1.2a16CS(build 19209)
My Hima ROM 6.1.1c16CS(Build 19199)

Sentinel196
Old
(Last edited by Sentinel196; 27th May 2010 at 02:57 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3775

DONATE TO ME
Every so often an app comes along that quite simply kicks arse. This is one of those applications.

THANKYOU!!

Just a small bug. On my HD2, the taskbar icon doesn't change until you go in to the volume menu and then come back out of it. So it looks like the speaker is still on, even though it isn't. The same thing happens when you come back out of silent mode.

Be sure to check out our new/free Android game - Can you be the Wheelie King?

thx1200
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel196 View Post
Every so often an app comes along that quite simply kicks arse. This is one of those applications.

THANKYOU!!

Just a small bug. On my HD2, the taskbar icon doesn't change until you go in to the volume menu and then come back out of it. So it looks like the speaker is still on, even though it isn't. The same thing happens when you come back out of silent mode.
That's interesting. The icon is definitely changing on my TP2. It should change as soon as the profile is changed. Can you check to see if the same happens with other profile changing apps? For example, if you vibrate/silent using the system volume control?
Avian Waves aka thx1200